IGNORED

Space War (Odyssey) Demake from the Fairchild Channel F

Mikebloke

While playing around with some ideas for my upcoming RPG game, First Fantasy - particularly overlays and a rulesheet / book; I thought I'd crack a shot at something even more basic. This is possibly the first formal demake of game, where the "graphics" and gameplay is intended to be as particularly close to an existing commercial game as possible for the Magnavox Odyssey. Whats even better is that the attachments provided is all you need to start playing it! You can also use (with the aid of a capture device) the overlay as a transparent image in a program such as OBS to play the game without having to print your own overlay, so happy days!

As this is a fangame of an existing commercially released game - even if it was originally for the Channel F - I am releasing this as "free licence" - that is, you can do with it what you want, although I would appreciate if nobody was to package this up either digitally or physically to sell for profit. However, if you are supplying it free/at cost as part of a pack of games which may or may not be being sold for profit, then I am happy for you to do that (this is particularly for projects like OdysseyNow if they are interested in adding this to an existing pack they may release in the future).

I've used graphics from the original game to produce the overlay file, and have written instructions on how to play it. It should play similar to the original "Submarine" game, but with some different game mechanics. I can't say I've actually tried to play this on a real Odyssey yet, as I have no friends - anyone who gets a chance to try this out I would greatly appreciate feedback on whether anything should change. Obviously, as this is the Odyssey, only one player can fire, and the other player must try to run away. Other than that, I've tried to preserve as many of the original features as possible. It might even be more fun than the original game. Maybe.

Space war overlay.png

Space war square image.png

Space War (Odyssey) Demake.odt

• Like 1

Hi Mikebloke,

Great! Another Odyssey homebrew! And great job on that game, i especially like

that you kept the original game sprites and the background color. I haven't read

yet the manual but already converted it in PDF format for later reading as i'm about

to leave for work (in 5 minutes as typing this message).

Can i ask you permission to adapt your homebrew to the OdySim ? This would

make a great addition to the OdySim library.

If curious about the OdySim, check my blog here: http://odysim.blogspot.com/

Thanks! :)

--- Sly DC ---

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 1:29 PM, slydc said:

Hi Mikebloke,

Great! Another Odyssey homebrew! And great job on that game, i especially like

that you kept the original game sprites and the background color. I haven't read

yet the manual but already converted it in PDF format for later reading as i'm about

to leave for work (in 5 minutes as typing this message).

Can i ask you permission to adapt your homebrew to the OdySim ? This would

make a great addition to the OdySim library.

If curious about the OdySim, check my blog here: http://odysim.blogspot.com/

Thanks! :)

--- Sly DC ---

Absolutely Sly, oh believe me, I have all your stuff too ;) Feel free to convert anything I do now and in the future which I release freely available.

Thanks very much for accepting Mikebloke!

I will add this game to the OdySim very soon. I know you wrote "free licence" but still i prefer to ask permission

to be on the safe side. Also, i've read the instructions and playing the game is quite easy but needs absolutely

2 players (as you proved in your video) to play the game.

In any case, it will be a pleasure to add any new homebrew(s) you'll be doing in the future and can't wait

what you'll reserve us. Oh almost forgot, do i credit you as Mikebloke or by your real name ? (and i do not

know your real name if the case be).

Thanks again and keep in touch! :)

--- Sly DC ---