IGNORED

HSC16 Round 20: Season Catch-up + 2019 Games Bonus

therealbountybob

ROUNDS 1-19 Catch-up + 2019 Games Bonus

Play anything you missed or improve your scores for a final surge up the HSC rankings. The season will finish early in January so not many rounds left!

BONUS: Plus play any games from 2019 excluding Block on Legs: First Steps and Jet Set Willy 2019 and Eel Ecurb all of which we can play here at some point ;)

Post some comments about each game to pick up your bonus points, be kind to us programmers ;)

We'll then play Moon Patrol Redux if it is finished!

Round now ends (alt-control-C launch calendar time!) Sunday 8th December 10am UK time Round 20: Thanksgiving Feast has now started and overlaps with the final week here.

Game Suggesions:

Peril - atariage thread

image.png.9eb6a2672cd43866f358a34c147b9bd0.png

Castle Defender - atariage (abbuc 2019)

or directly on Matosimi's Web Site

1542848828_CastleDefender.png.d529e2704f6ea13dcb69c47c9cec651c.png

Fruit Machine (from TGB1718) - atariage

(Enable BASIC) enter RUN "D:FRUITS.BAS"

1210393729_FruitMachine.png.e2bf421f8a311e7ba65727c4566a9a58.png

Great Green Adventure 2: Prologue

image.png.8642a7d84b283950de656a2358ec48a0.png

PET Frogger - fandal

work in progress - atariage thread

image.png.fbf26e7e4b4b60a0487c48671083fbb9.png

Train 3 - fandal

image.png.cbe4e125d3bda5be2ace54095aadfd7e.png

The Last V8 Extended Edition -fandal

image.png.eea84ea157a0442c0192d09a322053ff.png

Tutoris 2019 - fandal

image.png.5b1ed9bd3266aaecfd3e54206c941c49.png

601f - fandal (abbuc 2019)

image.png.9358d512e317ef5aa9fbaafc35e7ff08.png

Mah Jong - fandal

image.png.4ac808df59ad93fbbc86a1712762d0aa.png

Mister Hoppe - fandal

image.png.fffba5316f5bc9dcba78bc79ab036189.png

Rodman Demo v1.2- fandal
Was a 2018 game but on Fandal's site in 2019 so it counts!

(visit TFW8b.com to order full version)

image.png.6844338d11d66f749ba36b939e8d9c61.png

Adventure Ponies v.087 - atariage

1653991173_AdventurePonies.png.67af123bd4abe3a6ca885fcf82f06025.png

Gravity Snake (2018) - atariage

looks like this is jus a w.i.p. so you can't completed the first level.

gravitysnake.png.db3780537e4ec36ce3661f6b40024e47.png

Atarinet v1.1 ("Retronet") - atariage thread

Atarinet site has latest version

image.png.b4bd02de45187352fafefc652a4b13f4.png

Mario Land ("tdc") (2018)

(not a full game, not the old Mario Land game either!)

image.png.86800225b2643131521fca2ca6fa4b3c.png

clth's Dungeon Crawler (brand new) - atariage

1888549629_DungeonCrawler.png.10a769890c1598006eb188f8408be046.png

The Last Disk"+" - atariage

another brand new old one!

image.png.e86148868c27e18476004ac9a8b24deb.png

Highway Encounter - atariage (2018 but updated in 2019)

image.png.86c69b50ad0226009e5736767e0151cf.png

EVERYONE WELCOME TO POST A SCORE OR TWO, POST IF YOU NEED ANY HELP

• Like 2

Yay! More than a dozen bonus games to choose from! Even if we max the amount of bonus points to 3, I'll try as many as possible.

Starting off light in alphabethical order:

601F: Cool 3D golf game! At first look the controls may seem confusing, and I had to design my own level in order to figure out the controls. Rotate direction left and right, increase height with up and down, hold down fire to make a stronger shot. The small display in the upper left tells you where you (solid dot) and the hole (blinking dot) are. You may need to shoot very hard shots to scroll the landscape a couple of times to get anywhere near the hole. So far I only cleared the first level, but will play later.

Castle Defender: Hm.. I kind of understand the game, though there seems to be a lot of numbers going on and I don't know how much I am controlling and how much the game simply plays on. By freak luck I cleared the first level and scored a total of 14353 pts but it could as well have been attract mode. Graphics both clear and not clear at the same time. I never encountered the BBC Micro original game.

I will dig through the others as time permits.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yay! More than a dozen bonus games to choose from! Even if we max the amount of bonus points to 3, I'll try as many as possible.

Starting off light in alphabethical order:

I will dig through the others as time permits.

:thumbsup:

Fill your boots guys and earn those bonus points. It's interesting to read what others think about the games, I will try and play them all, I created some disks last night. There may be a few others check the topics on atarionline.pl :)

• Like 1

You need to LOAD"D:FRUIT.BAS" and RUN. I found out by holding down Option to disable BASIC so it boots to the DOS menu and from there make a disk directory.

Edit: Oh well, here are the results for tonight:

Fruit Machine: It says it was developed in 1983, by which time it would have met current standards. Today I'm expecting a little more from a fruit machine, for instance a list of possible winning combinations, perhaps some more advanced slot machine graphics. The gamble mode is fun where you can earn 0, 1, 2 or 3 times your winnings. Hold mode is a plus, but TBH I've played nicer fruit machine games on the VIC-20 back in the days. I played for 9 minutes and got up to $130 in credits, and then quit.

fruit-machine-130.jpg.4e6b2959f3bf060061437c775b7e4a33.jpg

Great Green Adventure 2 - Prologue: Nice maze (?) game with a ghost flavour. As far as I can tell there is no scoring than possibly finishing levels, which makes it harder to report scores for the HSC but definitely worth playing again. Nice music and presentation, right level of difficulty on opening screens.

The Last V8 Extended Edition: Ok, this is not an entirely new game. I've played the C64 version back in the days and never really got the hang of it, like probably 85% of everyone else who played it. For once, my five button Starplex Deluxe Video controller might be at disadvantage compared to a regular stick joystick where you'd feel accelerate - deaccelerate and turn clockwise/counter-clockwise more naturally. I got a few curves into it so the meter says 3.1 km to base, which is not far at all. It is the kind of game you don't really like to play, but you get dedicated to just one more try.

Edited by carlsson
Adding screenshot
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Deteacher said:

I can't get fruit machine to run.  Yes, I have BASIC enabled on boot, but it just loads up to the "ready" screen.  Anyone else having this issue?

22 hours ago, carlsson said:

You need to LOAD"D:FRUIT.BAS" and RUN. I found out by holding down Option to disable BASIC so it boots to the DOS menu and from there make a disk directory.

Yes like TURKEY.BAS this is just a BASIC file saved on a DOS disk, it has not got any autorun.sys file pointing to the basic file (or menu) to run it (automatically), so as carlsson's post:

LOAD "D:FRUIT.BAS" and RUN from BASIC's READY prompt.

I've played 4 games and liked all four of them, though one I can't figure out what to do:

PERIL - 2,168 nice game, helicopter uderground as ususal and you do get a weapon after a few screens.

ATARINET v1.1 - like Loops DX - seems the same as the old version, maybe they added the mouse support in v1.1?, Normal 184 then 185! Hard 346

GRAVITY SNAKE - think this is 2019, can't get the menu to do anything apart from start a go and can't figure out the first screem, can collect everything and lift up/move the big structures ???

ADVENTURE PONIES - a mans game! Hey this looks like a decent 8-way scrolling platformer, though it did lock up on the 2nd level I got stuck in the platform 5,964

Will add more links when I find them :)

(ADDED ANOTHER BUNCH!)

Hi all, newbie here, despite my profile being 11 years old. Didn't even realise I had a profile until I tried to sign up just now

Anyway, I've recently got back into playing my old Atari games, and found this page just recently

I realise we're coming close to the end of the current High Score Season, but I figure why wait 'til January. Now, I know I'm not going to be threatening anybody's title hopes ?, but I'd sure like to get stuck in to a few games and get the ball rolling, if people are ok with that?

Also, is there a handy list of all the games I'd need to catch up on? I did have a look there, but still finding my way around. And also, if that's ok, would I post my scores on the individual threads for that game/week, or am I being a complete pain in the arse joining in this late? 

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the all caps username, don't seem to be able to change it

Looking forward to the fun times ahead

Regards,

Dave

• Like 2

No concert band tonight, so I took the opportunity to chew through the rest of the first 12 suggestions.

Mah Jong: Yes, that is what it is. No stress, but since many tiles are similar - just like they are supposed to be - one has to squint a bit to find which ones match. All fine to play, but once you have solved it I'm not sure what the challenge is in replay, other than spending your time.

Mister Hoppe: Another one button game, this one not entirely unlike Canabalt but you jump over boxes and have an energy meter you can replenish by collecting new energy on top of the boxes. The waterski/boat in the background doesn't seem to inflict on the gameplay, only for decoration. Can be fun for 10 min, not sure for how longer. I got to 4994 pts.

Peril: Yes, a helicopter maze game like trbb mentioned. The weapon appeared first time I played but not again, which made it harder to continue. A big minus that it doesn't seem to keep highscore, a shortcoming I can excuse on Atari 2600 games which only have 128 bytes of RAM to play with but on a far bigger system there is no reason to not have that function. I recorded a best of 1414 pts.

PET Frogger: Cute Frogger-ish game. I've never encountered the original game despite I played through a lot of PET games before. While it doesn't play exactly like your typical Frogger clone, it only has limited replay value for me. Also the screen flickers like crazy inbetween life, not sure if that is on purpose or due to I'm playing on PAL hardware and it was programmed for NTSC. I solved first level and ended up with 990 pts.

Rodman: Hm, so this is Pac-Man meets Bomberman in 2.5D graphics? I tried both the hires and lores versions and prefer the more colourful, though blocker lores version. Since Pac-Man never really was my forte, I only played a few rounds and stopped at 271 pts.

Train 3: Ok, I liked Train 1 and Train 2 but this is starting to look like Train Lost Levels. Unless I'm missing some important gameplay detail, this seems to be the same as the previous two but with new levels. I'm not sure I like the minus points for crashing, it is bad enough to lose a life. I played to a mere 700 pts.

Tutoris 2019: The world is full of single button games, here is another one where you keep bouncing up and down and use fire to slow down to not hit the snakes. I think this one could benefit from taking a step from the single button category, perhaps allow for some sideways movement, shield, perhaps powerups to collect which could make it a little bit more varied. Again it doesn't remember my highscore, a minus point in my book. I bounced 37 times, then I gave up.

Well, I might return to some of those 12 games, or try even more ones, or just replay some of the games from this past season. Eventually I'll take some screenshots too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, STARBUG said:

Hi all, newbie here, despite my profile being 11 years old. Didn't even realise I had a profile until I tried to sign up just now

Anyway, I've recently got back into playing my old Atari games, and found this page just recently

I realise we're coming close to the end of the current High Score Season, but I figure why wait 'til January. Now, I know I'm not going to be threatening anybody's title hopes ?, but I'd sure like to get stuck in to a few games and get the ball rolling, if people are ok with that?

Also, is there a handy list of all the games I'd need to catch up on? I did have a look there, but still finding my way around. And also, if that's ok, would I post my scores on the individual threads for that game/week, or am I being a complete pain in the arse joining in this late? 

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the all caps username, don't seem to be able to change it

Looking forward to the fun times ahead

Regards,

Dave

Hi STARBUG/Dave you must be another Red Dwarf fan :thumbsup: Welcome to the high score club, we are honoured to have your first post. Sure join in now, you can play any of the games from this season, I bet carlsson will put a list together and post it, but in the mean time look in this HSC forum and anything starting HSC16. Post scores here in this thread. We can make this a 3 week round if needed as there are lots of new games to look at here too.

I will be trying to round up a bunch of new players at the start of the season, it's just us regulars at the moment.

Cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

I bet carlsson will put a list together and post it

Well, here is a list of the Atari 8-bit games I have been playing this year. There may have been one or two bonus games I never tried, but all the main games should be in the list.

Supposedly the current round is #20, but I'm counting to 20 previous rounds of this HSC so apparently the round numbers don't match, you'd better double check those.

Round 1: January 1 - 20
The Extirpator!
Tanium
Transmuter

Round 2: January 21 - February 3
Space Fortress Omega

Round 3: February 4 - 17
Lode Runner

Round 4: February 25 - March 10
Satan's Hollow

Little Devil

Round 5: March 4 - 31
Alpha Shield

Carnival

Caverns of Callisto

Collision Course

Crab Nebula

Escape [Gary Ryan]

(Yes, I also played Strip Poker during this period, though outside of the HSC)

Round 6: April 1 - 21

Baby Berks

Berks Four

Joyas

Major Blink

Trains

Trains 2

10Liners:

Bomber [Savetz]

Bounce & Catch [Vitoco]

Bouncy [Savetz]
Floody Bot [Savetz]
Hubbub [Eric Henneke]
Lander [Savetz]
License Plates [Vitoco]
Mini Bros [Vitoco]
Minilife [Savetz]
Missile 10 [Kendrick]
Neverending Story [Pirx]
Pixelated Puzzle [Vitoco]
Poke Pig [Savetz]
UFO Attack [Vitoco]
reactorX [Jeffpiep]

Amen BREAK [Kendrick] Not a game)
Garden [Savetz] (Not a game)
Mini Character Editor [Savetz] (Not a game)

Round 7: April 15 - May 5

International Karate [2014 Enhanced Edition]

IK+ [Preview, build 0284] (Limited to 20000 pts)

Round 8: April 29 - May 12

Deflektor

Round 9: May 13 - 19

The Last Starfighter

Round 10: May 20 - June 9

Fort Apocalypse

Fortress Underground

May 20 - June 23

M.U.L.E. (part of the separate M.U.L.E. HSC tournament)

Round 11: June 10 - 30

Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Round 12: July 1 - 14

Gun Boat

River Raid

Round 13: July 15 - 28

Frogger II

Round 14: July 29 - August 11

Trolls and Tribulations

Round 15: August 12 - 25

Abracadabra!

Pac-Mad

Round 16: August 26 - September 8

Conquest of the Crown

Crownland

Round 17: September 2 - 29

Cohen's Towers

Kason's Towers

Tower [Stephen Taylor]

Tower Toppler

Round 18: September 30 - October 6

Pathfinder

Pastfinder

Round 19: October 7 - 27
Captain Sticky's Gold

Dan Strikes Back

Firefleet

Hyperblast!

Jet Boot Jack

Round 20: October 28 - November 17

Phantom

Action Quest

The Witching Hour

... which brings us to the current round.

• Like 1

Thanks Jason. Yeah, big Dwarf fan, what sane person isn't ?

Thanks Carlsson. I've a few of those games anyway, will try get a score or two posted tonight.

Is there a good resource/one stop shop for roms? I've a heap of roms on a preloaded sd card, but a lot of them wont run on my 800xl (even though they run on an emulator, not sure whats going on there), so if you could recommend a good source I'd appreciate it. I'd rather not play Atari games on my crappy laptop unless I really, really have to. I feel like I'm cheating on my 800xl when I do that ?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

• Like 1

Oh I regularly forget to hold down option (probably because a lot of the games seem to run ok when you don't), but still have trouble with a lot of them even when I do.

Admittedly, there's a lot of hacked versions of the popular games which seem to cause the most problems. I'm using the SIO2SD (Biggus Dickus), but I think I need to spend a weekend deleting the crap and tidying things up.

Yeah, I've used Atarimania a fair bit, I'll check out Fandal, thanks!

Dave

Round 1 was SFO (awesome game!!)

:)

Fandal usually has working executables (xex which was com or exe in old money) or Disk Images (ATR) one of each game.

Atarimania often has protected disk images, not the latest versions, but has instructions etc

Atarionline.pl has tons of versions and formats and variants of each game

Homesoft has menu disks  though in DD format (not 1050 drive)

there are several others...

:)

Played:

The Last V8 - they've managed to make an annoying game even more annoying as you have to wait for the (great) speach each time, still had about 20 goes though! Got over the river and heading back right but not much further.

Mah-Jong - really good, beat it on 2nd go, graphics clear and controls good.

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 1

River Raid 28980

My first score submission ever (yay)

It's the only game on the list I could get to load (having a nightmare with my SIO2SD)

It was my first time really playing River Raid, it's a lot of fun. I'm a big fan of River Rescue, but I can now add River Raid to my list of favourites 

Right, back to trying to figure out this contraption

Dave

20191121_204127.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, STARBUG said:

River Raid 28980

My first score submission ever (yay)

It's the only game on the list I could get to load (having a nightmare with my SIO2SD)

It was my first time really playing River Raid, it's a lot of fun. I'm a big fan of River Rescue, but I can now add River Raid to my list of favourites 

Right, back to trying to figure out this contraption

Dave

That's great, and with an official Atari stick too! Bet that hurts for River Raid!

I think some of the guys here have SI02SD so post what you are trying and what happens if you get stuck.

Played:

PET Frogger (v03), more of a demo than a game [yes it's a w.i.p], has a few DLI issues with glitching on the "dead frog" text etc, but looks nice. Upwards movement too quick, would like to see it hop and be more challenging.

Tutoris 29 scored, single button game, nice movement speed changes

Rodman not a bad game, 2 screens vertical with a door and side doors on each, can  collect pills and bomb the ghosts, no points though ☹️ perhaps too easy for too long so you lose interest 1,478 did about 4 levels without trying too hard, wonder if it gets much harder? No cornering diagonals but you get used to that.

Rodman Hi-res, preferred the middle graphics esp dark screens e.g. green. Edge playfield graphics movement e.g. bricks is an unnecessary distraction.

The Last Disk+, nice game, didn't complete it, found and used the acid on one go but not the others, suspect it's just one small game. Keyboard controls, press space for info.

Dungeon Crawler, looks nice got lost in the maze and gave up. Space to climb ladders. ASDF controls.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

That's great, and with an official Atari stick too! Bet that hurts for River Raid!

I think some of the guys here have SI02SD so post what you are trying and what happens if you get stuck.

I'll be honest, I switched to a Sega Megadrive (Genesis) controller for that game, I just left my trusty Atari Blister Maker in front of the T.V!

Thanks, I'll probably ask for help at some point, but it got me a bit stressed out tonight, so not going to worry about it for a while. I've a few decent cartridges, and quite a few of the roms work, so I've plenty to keep me going, thanks again!

Dave

• Like 1

20191122_215100.thumb.jpg.cb00045deb4834432853fad60c4ec763.jpgSpace Fortress Omega - 5130 - Space Traveller 1st Class

What an awesome game, great work Jason, and I think 12 year old me would have felt the same! @therealbountybob

I played 3 or 4 games with my original Atari joystick, but it was hard work (may have to consider accepting it as a wonderful ornament at this stage)

Did better with the Genesis controller, but still got my a** handed to me on level 1 after a couple of attempts. I'll be playing that a bit more I think, but I'll tap out for now with 5130, got so many games to check out!

Dave

• Like 2

18 hours ago, STARBUG said:

Space Fortress Omega - 5130 - Space Traveller 1st Class

What an awesome game, great work Jason, and I think 12 year old me would have felt the same! @therealbountybob

I played 3 or 4 games with my original Atari joystick, but it was hard work (may have to consider accepting it as a wonderful ornament at this stage)

Did better with the Genesis controller, but still got my a** handed to me on level 1 after a couple of attempts. I'll be playing that a bit more I think, but I'll tap out for now with 5130, got so many games to check out!

Dave

Thanks for that :thumbsup: Space Fortress Omega was a labour of love and should offer some long term play despite the inital difficulty; it will become familiar. My favourite sticks are the Quickshot (CS-137) needs regular trigger microswitch cleaning or Competition Pro (shoddy remake) needs microswitches changing a lot ?

Played:

Great Green Adventure "2" got through a few rooms and found a few keys etc, not bad as some arcade baddie dodging requried. Not sure how big the layout is.

[edit]

Still playing Phantom, I'm hooked! Killed the boss at the end of level 2, but not enought shots left to complete the level, very very close! Score not improved!

• Like 1

Ok, I tried the next six games:

Adventure Ponies: Yay! This probably is the biggest and most interesting game so far out of this bunch. I don't mind a pony oriented game at all, and it offers nice level designs and boss fights. Definitely will return this later, so far I scored 19949 pts and met Iron Will.

adventure-ponies-19949.jpg.de5ccd43e7cc9ecfa61617ad77a72488.jpg

Atarinet: Nice type of puzzle game, a bit like Loco-Motion or Pipes, but without the stress moment. However I'm afraid my brain will explode if I play it for too long so I settled with solving the Easy level in 123 moves, could be improved a lot.

Dungeon Crawler: Nice presentation, though I didn't get far until I was running in circles and lost interest. Perhaps joystick control would be the next step, though WASD + Space isn't the worst of keys.

Gravity Snake: Just like trbb, I don't really understand what to do or solve the first level. I tried different things, involving trying to make the ladders match the symbol at the top but I didn't get it to work out. The title screen menu does nothing for me as well, perhaps I should look at some of the posted videos.

Mario Land [TDC]: Ok... no scoring, no way to kill baddies, 11 screens and you have found the castle. I think this is a test of concept more than a game. The baddies look more like extra wide Hattifatteners from the Moomin characters than they look like Goombas from the Mario world. The ball makes me think of Splatform or something similar and yes, I've already written way too much text for a such short "game".

The Last Disk+: Interesting maze adventure, but I must say right away that the controls U D L R are not the best. I would much rather have preferred WASD like in the dungeon crawler, or why not joystick movement? I mean the keyboard could be used to activate items even if the basic movement was by joystick. I might play it a little more later.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, carlsson said:

Ok, I tried the next six games:

Adventure Ponies: Yay! This probably is the biggest and most interesting game so far out of this bunch. I don't mind a pony oriented game at all, and it offers nice level designs and boss fights. Definitely will return this later, so far I scored 19949 pts and met Iron Will.

Grown men playing with Ponies, coun't me in! I played again using the latest version, seemed slicker 19,122. Think this and Peril which I also played again 2,763 are the best two games. Funny how you thought Mah-Jong was hard to see and I thought it was ok but I played it again and got a more intricate set of patterned tiles ("ants!") so it was not so clear, still bear it again though - btw take the disk out an click NEW!

Also played River Raid Bold - didn't like any of the new graphics, the hot air baloon seems to have been trashed?! However I took a look at the Popeye hack and it looks great apart from the punch which is a single colour Popeye and seems to be 100% effective which might spoil the game as I see it as you should be avoidiing them - I'll post something on it's thread too.

Mister Hoppe 2,323 though it looks very nice it's another single button game, hopping over the obstacles taking damage for contact but has a 2nd feature of collecting the energy boxes.

Phantom 1,490 still not beaten The Dungeon ?

• Like 2

BBSB-50300 

(Default settings, Level 5)

Played a few games of one of my all time favourite games (on any console), so figured I may as well post a score as I missed out on this round

I think this game was an amazing sequel. Don't think I ever clocked it, but I'll get there eventually!

Dave

20191126_215044.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, STARBUG said:

BBSB-50300 

(Default settings, Level 5)

Played a few games of one of my all time favourite games (on any console), so figured I may as well post a score as I missed out on this round

I think this game was an amazing sequel. Don't think I ever clocked it, but I'll get there eventually!

Dave

I'm glad you are playing these as it's a reminder I really should stop trying to bear the Dungon on Phantom (1540) and finish off BBSB and try and see how far I can get on SFO, then there's Berks 4 I didn't finish...

I've also been playing Highway Encounter (2018) a nice game, last updated Oct 2019 see link.

• Like 1