IGNORED

HSC16 Round 20: Season Catch-up + 2019 Games Bonus

therealbountybob

16 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

I'm glad you are playing these as it's a reminder I really should stop trying to bear the Dungon on Phantom (1540) and finish off BBSB and try and see how far I can get on SFO, then there's Berks 4 I didn't finish...

I've also been playing Highway Encounter (2018) a nice game, last updated Oct 2019 see link.

I haven't played any of the others yet. I'll add Highway Encounter to the list of roms to download. Speaking of which, are the links generally for pal or ntsc roms (or does it even make a difference)?. I'm wondering if that's the issue with why a lot of my roms won't work on my SIO2sd/800xl. 

I'm in Ireland (PAL 60hz) but got my 800xl from Venezuela (I assume it's  NTSC), but no idea if that makes a difference with the roms loading or not or if it's just the frame rate that's different. Any clarification from anyone in the know would be appreciated, I'm a bit clueless with the technical side of things. Almost all of the roms I have load on the AtariWin emulator, but most don't work on my Atari, so I'm hoping that's what the issue is, or at least something simple?

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance 

Dave

• Like 1

"ROM" is ususally used to refer to Cartridge games that have been uploaded to a file (.ROM .CAR .BIN) etc

The others are "executable files" (.EXE .COM .OBJ now commonly named as .XEX to avoid confusion with PC exe files and so emulators can autorun them. Boot Disk images are usually ATR files.

Many new games are PAL and NTSC compatible, some have two versions, others are PAL only. You could try a couple of PAL only games e.g. Zone X from Gremlin Graphics and HiJack from English Software Co. and see if they work properly? Also the colours might give a clue too - I thought your SFO pics were lacking some of the colours, the status bar should not be white,  the game is PAL and NTSC but maybe there's something else technical going on?

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

From BASIC, try PRINT PEEK(98). It should yield 0 for NTSC or 1 for PAL.

Thanks for that Carlsson. Got a 0 so it is NTSC then. Could that be why I've an issue with a lot of the roms? Should I look for only roms with a NTSC tag/description of some sort? I've no idea where the rest of you guys are from, and whether the roms shared here are specific to one region or another? 

Thanks, Dave

3 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

"ROM" is ususally used to refer to Cartridge games that have been uploaded to a file (.ROM .CAR .BIN) etc

The others are "executable files" (.EXE .COM .OBJ now commonly named as .XEX to avoid confusion with PC exe files and so emulators can autorun them. Boot Disk images are usually ATR files.

Many new games are PAL and NTSC compatible, some have two versions, others are PAL only. You could try a couple of PAL only games e.g. Zone X from Gremlin Graphics and HiJack from English Software Co. and see if they work properly? Also the colours might give a clue too - I thought your SFO pics were lacking some of the colours, the status bar should not be white,  the game is PAL and NTSC but maybe there's something else technical going on?

Thanks Jason, I just saw you're reply now (I saw Carlsson's, but somehow didn't notice yours). 

The colour issues may be to do with the fact I'm using an s-video cable on a non-s-video tv. Also, I don't think the xl has s-video, pretty sure I need to do a mod for that, but either way the colours are.fine on my CRT tv, I'm just using my flatscreen as my games room is under construction and off bounds at the minute

I did find an NTSC Bounty Bob Rom (think it was an ATR file), which is the reason I finally got to play a bit last night

Gonna try a few more NTSC roms now and see if I have any luck!

Cheers, Dave 

FireFleet Not very far, didn't enjoy it at all

Captain's Sticky Gold - 1,020 A bit like the fishbowl level in Alley Cat, though probably (well definitely) won't play it again

Hyperblast - 4040

A little repetitive, but I like the intensity, not bad, quite fun I thought

That's me done for the night! ?

Dave

20191127_225632.jpg

20191127_223610.jpg

• Like 1

As for NTSC, I don't know which of the other HSC members play on real hardware, but I would assume that even those who emulate do so with NTSC settings though of course PAL would work just as well. I don't think that should be the reason why you're having trouble getting so many games to play though.

7 minutes ago, carlsson said:

As for NTSC, I don't know which of the other HSC members play on real hardware, but I would assume that even those who emulate do so with NTSC settings though of course PAL would work just as well. I don't think that should be the reason why you're having trouble getting so many games to play though.

Yeah, I dunno. The strange thing is, all 5 of those games I played tonight all worked fine, and I just chose the the first rom from the list on my SD Card, and there were several versions of each.

The most problematic games have been the bigger titles. BBSB, Spellbound, Bruce Lee and a few others had so many versions and none of them worked. I managed to eventually find a working version of each online after trying loads. I have noticed that a lot of the hacked versions don't work, so maybe they're the issue? Anyway, I had a problem free day today, so I'll worry about it another day, cheers

Dave

• Like 1

SEASON CATCH-UP & IMPROVE SCORES

Scoring based on tables for each game

Starbug:    34pts
River Raid             28,980  4pts
SFO S.T.Class 1      5,130  5pts
BBSB                   50,300  8pts
JBJ                      23,000  5pts
DSB                      6,260  5pts
FF                     Stage 1  1pt
CSG                      1,020  3pts
Hyperblast             4,040  3pts

trbb: 0 pts!

Phantom 1590 0pts

River Raid 0pts

GAMES FROM 2019ish

1pt per game played!

carlsson 18pts

trbb 16pts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Played Space Fortress Omega! Reached midway on level 2 (again) luckily I remembered Option was the emergency battery or otherwise I would not have completed level 1!

16,800 Space Cruiser Class 1

A common criticism is the display bar is hard to read but it looks not too bad on my CRT TV ;)

1609665224_SFO16800SpaceCruiserClass1.thumb.jpg.5abdc3dcc763904461c6007d33a3cf94.jpg

Some screenshots for the other games played, checkout Peril and Highway Encounter

PERIL.thumb.jpg.40a88403967a9ec30716539b973fd122.jpg1827697145_PERIL1.thumb.jpg.847af1ddf268ab7ba7118d23993815f0.jpg759410248_HighwayEncounter.thumb.jpg.29ee503afce8c7b889aa760e73556b38.jpg

SFO Titles.jpg

• Like 1

I've been a bit quiet recently cos I started playing Jet Set Willy. I got so determined to complete it, that I couldn't play anything else.

Anyway I'm back, and looking forward to playing it again in HSC soon, so that I can try to improve on my best run.

Really like Castle Defender, I'll be playing that one more. I was playing it through Altrirra and the graphics seemed to glitch a bit after the first two or three waves, maybe it's caused by the settings I was using? I'll try on my 800XL later

Edited by McKong

2 hours ago, McKong said:

I've been a bit quiet recently cos I started playing Jet Set Willy. I got so determined to complete it, that I couldn't play anything else.

Anyway I'm back, and looking forward to playing it again in HSC soon, so that I can try to improve on my best run.

Really like Castle Defender, I'll be playing that one more. I was playing it through Altrirra and the graphics seemed to glitch a bit after the first two or three waves, maybe it's caused by the settings I was using? I'll try on my 800XL later

I figured that's what you were up to, it's good that a top player has put the game through it's paces i noticed you found a few things. If you wanted to review the game Pro(c) Mag that would be great ;)

I didn't get past the 2nd wave on Castle Defender, is there some sort of strategy? (review of this one would be good too)

Still playing bloody Phantom, and still not completed the Dungeon I was hoping you'd have a crack at this ;)

2013074067_Phantom1805.thumb.jpg.b34ab3d28f131afdbedc460ef969ac5d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McKong said:

Castle Defender 375762. Really like this game! Made it through the 1st wave of the second level once I'd read the instructions again!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing it again tonight. I'm noticed the graphics glitching out a bit on my 800xl, and I had to reset a couple of of times as it froze when I pressed start after been playing for a bit, I think on both occasions the graphics had glitched already. Haven't made the second level yet, but I've a few ideas for later ?

Dave 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, McKong said:

Castle Defender 536532. If you want any chance on Level 2 you have to save some gold to carry over from Level 1

Yep! Made level 2 with about 400+ gold, but wasnt enough to last very long. 320,604 is my best effort so far!

Looks like you start level 2 with 550 gold, no matter how much you finished with. I'm up to 521,999, might as well have one more go...

590,918 on that go. That's me done for now. Might try something else tomorrow night from the list, though I'll definitely come back to this

Dave

20191205_221743.jpg

Edited by STARBUG
Score update
  • Like 1

Woah you guys, I got to Level 1 Stage 4 (27,923) and was pretty pleased with that!

Not a lot to go on in the instructions, I got on better when I figured the 200 castle is no use as the creatures have no shields, and was better to build up the weaker ones. How many stages on level 1?

Game looks great on my CRT:

1479047364_CastleDefenderTitleScreen.thumb.jpg.b1ead5b75ff3ba86de6ceb18ffa54571.jpg1488205847_CastleDefenderLv1-4.thumb.jpg.1e63a1675c29d54999bee90b65b7c954.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

I got on better when I figured the 200 castle is no use as the creatures have no shields, and was better to build up the weaker ones. How many stages on level 1?

One more stage after that one. Only the last 2 stages of level 1 have shields

Yeah it looks great on the CRT, need to get back to using my own soon!

• Like 1