IGNORED

HSC16 Round 20: Season Catch-up + 2019 Games Bonus

therealbountybob

Btw, I thought this was an old school gem ported to the A8 but the Beeb original was released in 2017.

http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2627

It is unfortunate that the Atari is so hard to get colours from, despite such large palette. If it had a 320x256x4 mode like the original BBC, I think it would be easier to see things on screen and make it more enjoyable, at least for me. I know by using loads of tricks, display lists and whatsnot one can coax more colours and graphic elements out of the Atari but not easily.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Highway Encouter - 12,300

I've never played the Spectrum/Amstrad/C64 versions, so can't compare it to those, but as a game that I now have on my Atari, I really like it, and I'll be playing to completion (or at least trying to) at some stage

I love the eightiesness of this game. Even though I've never played it before, the sense of nostalgia is quite strong, and that's never a bad thing as far as I'm concerned

Although 2 very different games, I think the gameplay is similar to Powerdown (one of my favourite 800xl games), where you've got to move stuff from A to B. Action/Strategy type game or something like that

I don't know what sort of work is involved in porting games from one system to another. Do you re-code from scratch, or edit line by line or what? I'm guessing it's painstaking anyway, and I take my hat off to the guys that do it, fair play 

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, STARBUG said:

I don't know what sort of work is involved in porting games from one system to another. Do you re-code from scratch, or edit line by line or what?

It seems to differ from person to person. On the 6502 based systems, part of the code can be moved more or less as it is, though everything dealing with inputs, graphics, sound etc would need to be rewritten as each system is different. Some people have even developed tools to convert Z80 to 6502 code, so you can get the game logic untouched though for certain it is not an automatic process by any means. Others reimplement the game based on how it behaves, perhaps disassembles the original code for hints.

Even in cases when you have fully commented source code, it would be a good amount of work to port between systems, even if the code was written by yourself so you should know more or less exactly how it works. Higher level languages like C or BASIC likely are easier to port from, but again it depends how tightly the game ties to the hardware in form of addresses and capabilities.

• Like 2

Satan's Hollow  -   42,600

Little Devil  - 40,100

The hit boxes on those coins in Little Devil are ridiculous ?

Never actually played Satan's Hollow before tonight, it wasn't in the arcades here in Ireland, but I believe it was quite popular back in the day

It's quite fun, I could get addicted to it ?

Dave

20191206_233320.jpg

20191206_231713.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, STARBUG said:

Pastfinder  -  8,845

Pathfinder  -  8,361,642

Never played either of these before. I think they're both excellent. Wish I'd discovered this forum earlier, so many games, wish I'd more time

Roll on Season 17! ?

:thumbsup: I felt the same when I missed the gap between Page 6 Mag ending and findling all of this here on-line stuff. It will be good to have another keen player next season, I'm glad you are enjoying things, there are loads of great games that still hold up well today.

• Like 1

SEASON CATCH-UP & IMPROVE SCORES

Scoring based on tables for each game

Starbug:    67pts!
River Raid             28,980  4pts
SFO S.T.Class 1      5,130  5pts
BBSB                   50,300  8pts
JBJ                      23,000  5pts
DSB                      6,260  5pts
FF                     Stage 1  1pt
CSG                      1,020  3pts
Hyperblast             4,040  3pts

Phantom                 145   9pts
Action Quest  11/29 Apprentice   1pt
Satan's Hollow      42,600   5pts
Little Devil            40,100   7pts
Pastfinder              8,845   9pts
Pathfinder        8,361,642   2pts

roadrunner: 9pts

River Raid                  48,230    2pts
Conquest o.t. Crown    21,000    1pt
Pastfinder                    4,625    6pts

trbb: 0 pts!

Phantom                             1,805 0pts

River Raid                                    0pts

SFO Space Crusier Class 1     16,800 0pts

GAMES FROM 2019ish

1pt per game played!

carlsson  18pts

trbb  17pts

Starbug  2pts

McKong 1+2pt bonus for completing Castle Defender  3pts

• Like 2

Adventure Ponies: 41482 pts

I reached the double dog level and killed Fido but didn't get Dover (Rover?) before I ran out of lives. Definitely a game I may return to at a later point, or even worthy a full HSC round.

adventure-ponies-41482.jpg.f8f3c1a14b6f846eb9edd7b75b75207c.jpg

Highway Encounter: This is a game I used to own in a 10 games compilation for the C64. I may have loaded it once or twice back then, didn't understand/enjoy the gameplay back then and still have trouble with the isometric view. Back then I didn't understand it is a puzzle game, which I do 30 years later but still doesn't attract me, might be something for others.

No other improvements or additional recent games played at the moment.

Ok, I played a little more as part of round 20:

Mah Jong: Level 4, 30 points then I no longer could find matching pairs. The combinations of patterns seem random, sometimes they are very distinctive and easy to find, sometimes almost all look identical and one needs to use the Help function to identify which ones can be removed.

Mister Hoppe: I reached 5074 pts, a minor improvement over my previous play. Nothing fancy but casual one button gaming which is one of the trends for the 2010s.

misterhoppe-5074.jpg.7a4c67983b23e8df2893c2f6bee01f98.jpg

Peril: Another minor improvement to 1549 pts, but yet again I find that the weapon is missing on second or third replay, no matter if I get there with all helicopters intact or have lost a life along the way. Without the weapon, the game can not be continued which makes it pointless to play.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, carlsson said:

Peril: Another minor improvement to 1549 pts, but yet again I find that the weapon is missing on second or third replay, no matter if I get there with all helicopters intact or have lost a life along the way. Without the weapon, the game can not be continued which makes it pointless to play.

Yes I wonder what is going on there, it's a good game unless there is something we have missed - will try and contact the programmer :)

Conquest Of The Crown  -  366,500

Completed  -  474,000            

Ok, this game has me riled up, I'm determined to beat level 2, I've got to be close! I managed to top my high score anyway 

Getting closer! 

Edit:Finally got to Level 3, I think it's just a boss, can anybody confirm that? Might give it one more go, I'm hooked now!

Final Edit: I actually played a game first thing this morning (still as impatient as I was when I was 12 ?), but I clocked it first go, so was worth it! 

Level 3 was just 2 screens, including the Dragon Boss. I got to him twice yesterday and died.  Thought the game had glitched because my projectile weapon wouldn't fire on him, but you have to be close to him for it to work, unlike regular baddies, who you can shoot from anywhere

Also, the terms clocked and baddies are used enough, so I may throw them out there occasionally ?

20191209_223116.jpg

20191209_224916.jpg

20191209_232059.jpg

20191210_094040.jpg

Edited by STARBUG
  • Like 1

Great work Starbug, I secretly quite liked Conquest o.t.Crown, just picked it to accompany Crownland as it had Crown in the name (yes it's that scientific folks!), you have inspired me to re-add it to my play list, if I can ever stop playing fricking Phantom!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, STARBUG said:

Trolls And Tribulations  -  24,450

I really like this game. Plenty going on in it. Sound effects are slightly annoying, and could do with some funky 8-bit music, but still a really good game. Added to my list of faves!

Yes one of my real favourites - If you get some copies of Pro(c) Mag at some point I've reviewed it and some other good ones ;)

We'll also wrap this round up with Starbug making a journey through many of the great games this season. Carlsson gave all of the new titles a go. Thanks both :thumbsup:

My pick of the better new games: Highway Encounter, Peril, Castle Defender, Adventure Ponies, Mah Jong, Atarinet, Rodman probably needs another look too.

final tables

SEASON CATCH-UP & IMPROVE SCORES

Scoring based on tables for each game

Starbug:    84pts!
River Raid             28,980  4pts
SFO S.T.Class 1      5,130  5pts
BBSB                   87,520  8pts
JBJ                      23,000  5pts
DSB                      6,260  5pts
FF                     Stage 1  1pt
CSG                      1,020  3pts
Hyperblast             4,040  3pts

Phantom                 145   9pts
Action Quest  11/29 Apprentice   1pt
Satan's Hollow      42,600   5pts
Little Devil            40,100   7pts
Pastfinder              8,845   9pts
Pathfinder        8,361,642   2pts

Conquest o.t.Crown 474,000 7pts +2pts for completed game

Trolls 'n Tribulations   24,450 9pts

roadrunner: 9pts

River Raid                  48,230    2pts
Conquest o.t. Crown    21,000    1pt
Pastfinder                    4,625    6pts

trbb: 0 pts!

Phantom                             1,805 0pts

River Raid                                    0pts

SFO Space Crusier Class 1     16,800 0pts

GAMES FROM 2019ish

1pt per game played!

carlsson  18pts

trbb  17pts

Starbug  2pts

McKong 1+2pt bonus for completing Castle Defender  3pts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

My pick of the better new games: Highway Encounter, Peril, Castle Defender, Adventure Ponies, Mah Jong, Atarinet, Rodman probably needs another look too.

I can see myself play 601F, Adventure Ponies, Mah Jong, Mister Hoppe and possibly Peril if it is bug fixed again in the future.

• Like 2