IGNORED

Shenmue III

TheGrandPubaa

I was fortunate enough to receive my Kickstarter backer copy of Shenmue III a day early, which is something I never expected would happen. I always assumed I would have to wait a week or more due to shipping issues or, really, any worst case scenario you can imagine. But it's here, the disc is in my PS4 right now, and I just played around in Bailu Village. It's surreal given how long ago that I played Shenmue II on the Xbox, moreso considering I just beat the remaster of Shenmue II this morning in anticipation. Sadly, I have to go to work before I can spend any real time with it, but hey, I waited this long. What's another 8 hours?

20191118_Shenmue3.jpg

• Like 2

I'm picking it up at a store this week. Have to get my PS4 back from my son's house first, to play it! I might wait a few weeks to play it, maybe they'llneed to  push some bug fix updates or other timing tweaks first. It's a shame that is the gaming environment we live in when you think about it, but thanks to the fast internet, not a big deal. 

It is surreal that Shenmue III actual exists. 

• Like 1

So i've spent about a week playing Shenmue 3 in shorter bursts of an hour here or half an hour there, and despite a bit of roughness and a sort of low-production undertone, i'm enjoying it for what it is. I keep trying to decide if I think it's a "good" game or not, but that framework isn't quite accurate to the feeling I get playing. It's more like "I'm playing a new Shenmue game, this is right and proper and how things should be," sort of like how it is anytime a new standard-fare Mario platformer comes out or something - like it's just a part of reality that fits nicely in my life, but also as though it is its own genre unto itself. I couldn't possibly be objective about it, but I hope it does well and enables Yu Suzuki to continue making the rest of the series. I even bought the complete dlc collection on PSN sight-unseen since it's supposed to eventually have a story expansion, so there you go.

1 hour ago, King_Salamon said:

Did they place any arcade games into the new game?  What Sega games are in it?  I love this aspect of the games.. walking into a store and buying usable items, dropping money into a game and actually playing it.  That stuff is great.  Have fun with the game!

*possible minor spoilers ahead*

Due to the funky licensing situation between Ys and Sega, there aren't any licensed Sega Arcade games in the arcade(at least not the arcade in Bailu Village, I haven't gotten past that yet), so the games that are there would more closely represent electromechanical-style arcade games that are more generic - Excite QTE and a sequel to QTE Title are there, as well as a whack-a-mole game and a mechanical driving game.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, TheGrandPubaa said:

*possible minor spoilers ahead*

Due to the funky licensing situation between Ys and Sega, there aren't any licensed Sega Arcade games in the arcade(at least not the arcade in Bailu Village, I haven't gotten past that yet), so the games that are there would more closely represent electromechanical-style arcade games that are more generic - Excite QTE and a sequel to QTE Title are there, as well as a whack-a-mole game and a mechanical driving game.

Thanks for the info... I guess this is something to be expected.  Perhaps you'll encounter some homebrew style arcade games further on?