IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

Again, I ask the same question. Are @Kyle22 and @AtariGeezer the same person?

And furthermore, I am calling attention to some _Very_ cagey behavior on behalf of @AtariGeezer

This project, has been, since day zero, PUBLIC.

(In some ways, maybe a bit too public, as the twitter log that some have seen can demonstrate)

But it shows, that none of us working on #FujiNet are holding back anything.

Virtually every single test done so far, is in the github repo. (This includes CIO handler work on the N: device.. tests/cioN)

Every single attempt, every success, every single mistake.

Why?

Because it's more important for those of us working together to impart this knowledge, and all of these mistakes and successes onto the work that others will do in the future.

This to me is what's most important.

And I have _NO_ time.. ZERO.. time, or patience, for people who feel they need to have "secret" knowledge, which, in my opinion masks deep seated insecurities in one's self, and one's sense of self worth. I have spent too much of my life, dealing with people who use this as a fulcrum of power and advantage.

If that's how you want to play the game, Go on, and play your game with someone else, we will be here trying to make something together.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1

I dunno man - I've said way too many things in the past I regret.  I don't want any more fights - I am getting to the age of knowing better.  I don't want any more fights - just more cool new collaborations.  So I am not stepping into this one.

• Like 2

I'm gunna throw my 2 cents in here and be done with this argument.. I sent a FujiNet board to @AtariGeezer under the condition that he 'contribute' to the project which is open ended request. I assumed he would start releasing his code immediately as it sounds like it's working well, but he wants to wait until its complete. I can't make anyone do anything so we'll just have to wait until it's ready. Until then, I/we will continue to work on the currently open code. That's enough about that from me.

Over the past few days I've been working on modem emulation for BBSing. In the FujiNet github repo I've added 2 different modem tests: esp32/tests/modem and esp32/tests/modem850. The first is working with both the esp8266 and esp32 but requires you to type 'f' RETURN in the terminal to enable modem mode after booting into BobTerm. The second test emulates an 850 and just works in the terminal. Problem with the 850 emulation test is that it's not working on the esp8266, only the esp32 and I'm not sure why. It appears to be a problem with the command frame parsing. The test will not even boot with the esp8266. Any suggestions are welcome.

• Like 2

I love this project, you guys are doing an awesome thing.  I've ordered a couple of ESP32 Dev boards, and looking forward to building an internal fujinet, I think. :)   I currently have a couple of the standard ESP8266 boards,

but I think i want to use the ESP32 instead. :)  keep up the good work folks, I will be happy to post pics of my install and any questions or issues along the way.   Which brings me to my first question,   is it ok to simply solder to the required pins of the SIO connector on the motherboard  (using the current schematic, not directly to the ESP32, sorry if that was not clear), so as to avoid having to build an enclosure, and figure out physical connection issues (excellent details on DIY here, but I'm still hoping to just stick it to the inside of the top portion of the case, outside of the RF shield. :)    at any rate once again folks, this is awesome. :)  :) 

Also quick note, I listened to "Antic, the Atari 8bit Podcast Episode 63" that has a great interview with Thom.  excellent excellent information in that interview. :)

Edited by Waltermixxx
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Waltermixxx said:

I love this project, you guys are doing an awesome thing.  I've ordered a couple of ESP32 Dev boards, and looking forward to building an internal fujinet, I think. :)   I currently have a couple of the standard ESP8266 boards,

but I think i want to use the ESP32 instead. :)  keep up the good work folks, I will be happy to post pics of my install and any questions or issues along the way.   Which brings me to my first question,   is it ok to simply solder to the required pins of the SIO connector on the motherboard  (using the current schematic, not directly to the ESP32, sorry if that was not clear), so as to avoid having to build an enclosure, and figure out physical connection issues (excellent details on DIY here, but I'm still hoping to just stick it to the inside of the top portion of the case, outside of the RF shield. :)    at any rate once again folks, this is awesome. :)  :) 

Also quick note, I listened to "Antic, the Atari 8bit Podcast Episode 63" that has a great interview with Thom.  excellent excellent information in that interview. :)

The pinout for the ESP32 FujiNet isn't the same as the ESP8266 so make sure you use the correct one (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qEPPM3-gqzfHsogJYuVXqhbvSSsgxdQMb_KGfpoV9KI). You could make it internal, although it might be more trouble than it's worth at this point until the firmware get's more polished. You'll need access to the USB port for upgrading firmware. If you do go ahead with the internal, I'd love to see photos

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Waltermixxx said:

@Waltermixxx thank you, that interview was a whole lot of fun. I really wanted to try and explain as clearly and concisely as I could, what we were doing, and why our planned feature set is so large (and why it is very doable) :)

-Thom

• Like 2

Thanks for the link :).  Yeah your right, I would have to make it accessible, to take advantage of the updates as they come.  Could it be reflashed via bluetooth? I think the ESP32 has bluetooth built in? (one would still require access to the FLash button though so perhaps a mute point. :)...)   or just keep the 800xl lid unscrewed so to speak with the interface taped to the inside cover...   I really need to give this all more thought. :)  either way I'm excited, and I will be purchasing at least two of the final product  when they are ready. :)  Cheers. :)

Edited by Waltermixxx

1 hour ago, Waltermixxx said:

Thanks for the link :).  Yeah your right, I would have to make it accessible, to take advantage of the updates as they come.  Could it be reflashed via bluetooth? I think the ESP32 has bluetooth built in?

It is possible to flash with wifi, not sure about bluetooth (probably). This has not been implemented yet but the plan eventually is to push updates over wifi/internet.

2 hours ago, tschak909 said:

@Waltermixxx thank you, that interview was a whole lot of fun. I really wanted to try and explain as clearly and concisely as I could, what we were doing, and why our planned feature set is so large (and why it is very doable) :)

I too enjoyed that interview. You really have a knack for explaining very technical stuff in the way that most anyone can understand.

This project is going to be AWESOME by its conclusion ? .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bee said:

I'm interested in making one of these and tinkering, is there specific ESP32 that is being used for this?

Thank you

@Bee you will need to reference this, to get the appropriate pin-out:

(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qEPPM3-gqzfHsogJYuVXqhbvSSsgxdQMb_KGfpoV9KI)

Right now, the ESP32 version is still having lots of timing issues that need to be resolved with the UART connected to SIO, if you can help there, please do.

-Thom

My code is in the repo, where's yours?

(Yes, this includes the BBS, it's all there, for somebody to pick up, should they wish. Where's yours?)

I've written TWO DOZEN ports of PLATOTERM, all in C, across two dozen different vintage computing platforms? What have you done lately?

Seriously, dude, WTF is wrong with you? You yank @mozzwald's chain to get some hardware, and then you start withholding code based on MY output? (which is absolutely insane, because, if you'd bother actually checking the commit logs of the repository, you'd see that I've been consistently writing code for the last two months flat on this project, averaging a set of commits every 2-3 days.)

I'm angry and calling you out, because you're wasting our collective time by acting like you have some sort of leverage.

Go away, you sad, pathetic little man.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

Just now, Bee said:

@tschak909

Thank you, I have seen that link, I've been on other projects where all the developers linked to a specific part so everyone had the same platform.

Is this a equivalent / acceptable part? 

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13907

I think I have one in my Junk box.

Thank you

@mozzwald may actually help better with the hardware, as I am doing the software.

6 hours ago, Bee said:

@tschak909

Thank you, I have seen that link, I've been on other projects where all the developers linked to a specific part so everyone had the same platform.

Is this a equivalent / acceptable part? 

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13907

I think I have one in my Junk box.

Thank you

That should work as long as the same pins are available on the headers. Espressif makes a dev board that would work too ESP32-DEVKITC.

• Like 1