IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

So now I've written the ESP side of the UDP test. The next thing is to make a game as a test case.

The working idea is to do a simple TIC-TAC-TOE game that connects two players directly.

image.thumb.png.58097c0928bfa4381f488d5ade615671.png

And yes, in BASIC.

I'm doing this deliberately, so people can understand that you don't have to use assembler or C to write software (unlike another certain network adapter that rhymes with Shmagon.) ;)

-Thom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

I thought I remembered someone working on a ESP32 WROOM version.  Is that true or is that just a ghost memory?

I ordered PCB's for a prototype ESP32-WROOM-32 based board with SIO Plug and Receptacle. I hope to get them by the end of next week if all goes well. The pinout used is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qEPPM3-gqzfHsogJYuVXqhbvSSsgxdQMb_KGfpoV9KI/edit?usp=sharing on the ESP32 sheet. @jeffpiep is using a Nodemcu ESP32 for testing already with a reduced version of that pinout. ESP32 has many benefits over the ESP8266 for not much more money. Notably, more GPIO allows MicroSD Card socket, optional Bluetooth, 2 UARTS with no need for pin swapping, faster cpu and optional Dual Core ESP32 chip.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I ordered PCB's for a prototype ESP32-WROOM-32 based board with SIO Plug and Receptacle. I hope to get them by the end of next week if all goes well. The pinout used is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qEPPM3-gqzfHsogJYuVXqhbvSSsgxdQMb_KGfpoV9KI/edit?usp=sharing on the ESP32 sheet. @jeffpiep is using a Nodemcu ESP32 for testing already with a reduced version of that pinout. ESP32 has many benefits over the ESP8266 for not much more money. Notably, more GPIO allows MicroSD Card socket, optional Bluetooth, 2 UARTS with no need for pin swapping, faster cpu and optional Dual Core ESP32 chip.

One option for a ESP32 board I was looking at was this board.  It's not 'standard' but it gives an external antenna option that you don't find on the boards coming out of China.   Based on the pinouts you've given, I'm trying to match the GPIO pins.  I was kindof thinking about a small LED board for bling too.  Can't get it complicated enough......?

3 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

One option for a ESP32 board I was looking at was this board.  It's not 'standard' but it gives an external antenna option that you don't find on the boards coming out of China.   Based on the pinouts you've given, I'm trying to match the GPIO pins.  I was kindof thinking about a small LED board for bling too.  Can't get it complicated enough......?

I actually have that board but the one with onboard antenna. Moar LED's are always nice :D and those multi color ones are handy. WS2812 LED's might be an option too.

The board I've designed actually uses the ESP32 module and not a nodemcu type developer board. To keep it as small as possible I made a completely custom board with all necessary components (CP2102 USB/Serial, 3V3 regulator, etc). I'll be using the ESP32-WROOM-32D (onboard antenna & dual core) with the first few boards. If there are signal issues (I expect there not to be, but you never know), I can always swap it with the external antenna module (ESP32-WROOM-32U). Could make a "long range" version with external antenna adapter if there's a need ;) 

45 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I actually have that board but the one with onboard antenna. Moar LED's are always nice :D and those multi color ones are handy. WS2812 LED's might be an option too.

The board I've designed actually uses the ESP32 module and not a nodemcu type developer board. To keep it as small as possible I made a completely custom board with all necessary components (CP2102 USB/Serial, 3V3 regulator, etc). I'll be using the ESP32-WROOM-32D (onboard antenna & dual core) with the first few boards. If there are signal issues (I expect there not to be, but you never know), I can always swap it with the external antenna module (ESP32-WROOM-32U). Could make a "long range" version with external antenna adapter if there's a need ;) 

I think I left out some words.  Sorry.  What I meant to say was a small LCD display.  Almost a senior moment.  ?

I've had his board sitting in my todo pile for several months now.  Seemed like a good project to see if it could be used.  I'm thinking more along the lines of it being part of a multi-functional board design. 

I hear you about a custom board.  Not sure about the eye smarting small SMT parts necessary to make a completely customized small board though.  At least as a DIY for myself.  Not sure about the cost difference between a combo board and a completely customized one either.   Might be informational to do a cost comparison once we've both a finished design.   ?

On 12/3/2019 at 11:38 PM, mytek said:

I think this is super cool ? .

Finally WiFi networking that does what I've been hoping to see for a long time. Keep up the great work everyone :) .

It's the final missing piece for something like the 1088 XEL and XLD - full contained boot and go with all the software you'd want at your fingertips.

Amazing work.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, massiverobot said:

It's the final missing piece for something like the 1088 XEL and XLD - full contained boot and go with all the software you'd want at your fingertips.

Amazing work.

The "D:" emulation is only one layer, there are also the R: and N: devices that are being developed. 

(and at least one person has asked for P: emulation to cloud printing services, this is also doable.)

-Thom

• Like 3

On 12/8/2019 at 1:26 PM, mozzwald said:

I'm assuming you would use the same schematic as the one for the ESP8266 with the transistors?

1 minute ago, Dropcheck said:

I'm assuming you would use the same schematic as the one for the ESP8266 with the transistors?

Actually, no. I went back to using the schottky diode for DATAIN. The transistor were needed with the ESP8266 because the GPIO used for DATAIN would prevent it from booting if pulled HIGH. This isn't a problem on the ESP32 so the schottky diode makes more sense (only one component). All the lines still run through 470 ohm resistors for limiting current.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:25 PM, Dropcheck said:

I think I left out some words.  Sorry.  What I meant to say was a small LCD display.  Almost a senior moment.  ?

I've had his board sitting in my todo pile for several months now.  Seemed like a good project to see if it could be used.  I'm thinking more along the lines of it being part of a multi-functional board design. 

I hear you about a custom board.  Not sure about the eye smarting small SMT parts necessary to make a completely customized small board though.  At least as a DIY for myself.  Not sure about the cost difference between a combo board and a completely customized one either.   Might be informational to do a cost comparison once we've both a finished design.   ?

Ahh, LCD. Could be handy, but the goal is to configure the device from the Atari as shown by @tschak909 with the config example sketch (and/or via WiFi) so the LCD would be just an added cost.

I deal with SMD on a daily basis so it's no problem for me, but I can see why others stay away from it. In larger qty a custom board makes sense (and have it assembled in a factory). The more difficult parts are the SIO connectors and case. 3D printing them in large numbers isn't time or cost effective (takes me about 1.5-2 hours to make a SIO connector). Injection molding is cheap, except for the mold/setup cost so you gotta get a large number made for it to be feasible. Still exploring options on the plastics.

I still think a simple carrier board with through hole parts for a common ESP32/Nodemcu type module would be a good idea for those who want to make it themselves. The schematic really is so simple and basic. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tschak909 said:

as an aside, does anyone have a "win check" algorithm for tic-tac-toe? :) I am putting together a test program for UDP.

-Thom

Here's TicTacToe in c for the Sega Genesis. I made this some years back as simple demo code for a toolchain I made for the MD/32X. I started with some public domain C++ code that didn't work and fixed it, then made a C version. This code is also public domain in the same spirit as the original, so feel free to use it as you see fit. Or not. Doesn't matter. :)

https://pastebin.com/pZevPzKN

• Like 2

Turns out @Savetz was able to put together a quick win algorithm. I'm amazed, he managed to do this in about 20 minutes. (I, on the other hand, SUCK at algorithms!) :)

10 RESTORE 
20 FOR W=1 TO 8
30 READ W1,W2
40 W3=B(W1)+B(W1+W2)+B(W1+W2+W2)
50 W3=W3*SGN (B(W1) AND B(W1+W2) AND B(W1+W2+W2))
60 IF W3=3 OR W3=6 THEN WINNER=W3/3:? WINNER:END 
70 NEXT W
80 DATA 0,1,3,1,6,1,0,3,1,3,2,3,0,4,2,2

• Like 2

Hi,

If you are planning on making a custom PCB, have you considered incorporating the "poor man's SIO" edge connector, which is just a matter of having the SIO edge connectors on the top and bottom of the PCB, and wedging it into the SIO pins on the 8-bit. See: