IGNORED

#FujiNet - a WIP SIO Network Adapter for the Atari 8-bit

tschak909

On 10/19/2021 at 1:49 PM, Amis said:

Would like to understand if this is not of interest, needs more support, or other..

I for one was *dying* to try a BBS after I got my FujiNet this summer, but didn't know where to look or how to get it running.  So I think more support is a welcome thing.

IMO this should be one of the features new users get walked through just like we get walked through connecting to TNFS servers and the like.  I mean I've barely connected to a TNFS server after just learning the ropes, but I know *how* to.  Connecting to a BBS should get the same attention right from the get go.  

The only reason I finally discovered how was a mention of the 'things to do' part of this thread in the Antic podcast.  Even then I had to open up their show notes to get to the post just above yours so that I could download the md file and get to where I needed to go.

If that's posted somewhere else and I missed it I apologize, but thank md file should be pinned.  It's such a great resource.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, 8BIT 1337 said:

I for one was *dying* to try a BBS after I got my FujiNet this summer, but didn't know where to look or how to get it running.  So I think more support is a welcome thing.

Really good to know! Ill post a video plus on southernamis.com all the simplified instructions plus ATR's for term programs available.. The How To Connect page gives quick connect set of instructions but we are due for a new video, etc.. Ill take this one and get it into the community. Thanks!

• Like 7

Wondering if anyone has thought about a virtual fujinet device for emulated machines? I realize the code would need to be refactored from FPGA to targeting conventional machine architecture, as well as hooks for various emulators (this sounds like it might be the trickiest part).

I love to use my XE at home, but it would be fun to be able to work with Fujinet-enabled software and netboot from my laptop emulating the Atari.

Tom, I'm *not* suggesting you take this on in addition to all your other projects, fwiw

Just now, OxC0FFEE said:

Wondering if anyone has thought about a virtual fujinet device for emulated machines? I realize the code would need to be refactored from FPGA to targeting conventional machine architecture, as well as hooks for various emulators (this sounds like it might be the trickiest part).

I love to use my XE at home, but it would be fun to be able to work with Fujinet-enabled software and netboot from my laptop emulating the Atari.

Tom, I'm *not* suggesting you take this on in addition to all your other projects, fwiw

@OxC0FFEE it's not an FPGA. It's running on an ESP32.

With that said, this has been done, thanks to @apc.

It consists of two major pieces, Fujinet-PC, which is a port of the FujiNet code to run on PC systems, and a bridge for the custom device support in Altirra.

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-pc

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-emulator-bridge

A guide to connect them up, from @bocianu:
https://bocianu.atari.pl/blog/fujinetinaltirra

Have fun. :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2021 at 9:29 PM, spicyjack said:

I started to work on sorting and grading things.  No new information, just organization and formatting changes.

I'm going through each item and basically trying to get an idea of required experience level and time it takes to do each item on the list, ala Atari Projects style.

Please, if you know of a project or disk image that's not on this list, reply here so I can add it.

I'm expecting this to be a "living document", i.e. once I'm done with it and submit an issue/PR, other people can come in and make changes the same way as new projects are created or new ideas for #FujiNet take shape and form.

things_to_do_with_fujinet.md 7.55 kB · 36 downloads

This page is now on the wiki and from what I can tell, anyone with a github account should be able to edit/add to it so by all means do. You can now get to the wiki by going to https://wiki.fujinet.online

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A bit of a change of subject, but I was wondering what color settings were used on the main FujiNet menu for the background and the text? I'd like to tweak the ones in the TK-II modified SDrive Control program to match, since they still look good on a composite monitor, whereas my choices have a lot of bleed.

26 minutes ago, mytek said:

A bit of a change of subject, but I was wondering what color settings were used on the main FujiNet menu for the background and the text? I'd like to tweak the ones in the TK-II modified SDrive Control program to match, since they still look good on a composite monitor, whereas my choices have a lot of bleed.

The colors used:

```

src/main.c:62:  OS.color0=0x9f;
src/main.c:63:  OS.color1=0x0f;
src/main.c:64:  OS.color2=0x90;
src/main.c:65:  OS.color4=0x90;
```

colors used for bar:

#define COLOR_SETTING_NETWORK 0x66
#define COLOR_SETTING_FAILED 0x33
#define COLOR_SETTING_SUCCESSFUL 0xB4
#define COLOR_CHECKING_NETWORK 0x26

-Thom

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I "inherited" a DT-80 cart a few years ago... I pulled it out today and booted it up with #FujiNet, and it worked.

I copied Trub's instructions for running CP/M + #FujiNet into the "Things to do with your FujiNet" wiki page [1], but the instructions there are for a software terminal emulator (TrubTerm), not the DT-80.

With the DT-80 cart, I ended up booting the Atari first to get #FujiNet up and running, plugging the #FujiNet into USB for power, then power cycling the Atari in order to boot the DT-80 cart instead of #FujiNet (no need to hold down OPTION when you power the Atari back on).

@scitari, how did you run CP/M with your #FujiNet + DT-80 cart [2]?  Did you have to do the power cycle dance as well, or did I miss something here?

Hopefully at some point I can add the DT-80+CP/M instructions to the "Things to do" wiki page, maybe split running CP/M from hardware terms and software terms into two sections somehow.

img_5568.fujinet_dt-80.thumb.jpg.0ce4301cd62e09966c83c43c59a9aca1.jpg

?

Now I just need to figure out how to translate my DOS knowledges into CP/M.  And plug the 'tink into a real display, not that 7" thingy there.

[1] https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/Things-to-do-with-FujiNet

[2] https://atariprojects.org/2021/01/31/run-the-cp-m-operating-system-on-your-atari-8-bit-computer-using-fujinet-and-runcpm-15-30-minutes/

• Like 2

And here's the "software-based" version of the above picture.

To unpack what's in this picture:

• 130XE with a UAV as the only mod
  • FujiNet hardware version "1.1-1.5"
  • SysCheck 2.2 from @tf_hh (in a @mrrobot case) in the ECI port running with HSIO patched XE OS and in 512KB RAM mode
  • SpartaDOS X from the SIDE2 providing RS232.COM and loading @trub's TrubTerm 0.6
  • Video output going through a RetroTink (that annoyingly white LED in the upper right with an anti-static bag on top) to the 7" display

Not pictured is an SIO2SD box with a SDX boot disk image that I created to set up my environment in SDX.

I just got all of the devices in this whole "stack" dialed into HSIO index 3 (87Kb/sec) this morning, so it's cranking along.

I also need to see if I can move my SDX boot disk onto FujiNet at some point as the "boot" disk (this machine is NOT running U1MB)

img_5587.trubterm_cpm_atari_130xe.jpg

• Like 4

Here's an updated version of the "Things to do with FujiNet" Markdown document.

Among the new things in this version:

• Added a rough Table of Contents; you can get an idea from the ToC for some of the things I'd like to see documented/made more accessible for FujiNet, including a whole section on writing programs for FujiNet
  • Added instructions on how to run CP/M using both hardware (the DT-80 cart) and software (TrubTerm), along with links to other terminal emulator programs (BobTerm, ICE-T, AMODEM, etc.).  I'll add instructions for more terminal programs to the "software" section and how to set up an 850 for the serial driver at some point
  • Added CP/M "cheat sheet", or list of system commands (not a list of appllications to run, however)
  • Added another set of instructions on using the CONFIG tool; I realize this is duplication (I know of at least two other wiki documents that also describe the usage of CONFIG tool), but I felt having users not jump around between different wiki documents was more important than duplicating the instructions a third time.
  • Added external links for more of the "things to do", especially where there's no content yet (basically bookmarks for people so they can snag content/ideas from external sources)

Comments/suggestions about content are welcome.  Basically, if you see a "thing" in the "Table of Contents" but not in the body of the document, then nobody has written that section yet.  If you don't see a "thing" in the ToC, then by all means suggest adding it.

Document formatting comments for the attached version of the Markdown document will be politely ignored.  I know the formatting of this document is wrong, and plan on fixing this before submitting these changes to the project wiki as a GitHub issue.

Thanks!

things_to_do_with_fujinet.md

Edit: the green/blue dots in the section headings are to help me keep track of what is "done" and what needs more work.  Green dots are "basically done", and blue dots are "needs work".

Edited by spicyjack
added notes about green/blue dots
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 9:35 AM, trub said:

I was asked for it, and here it is :)

TTR 0.1 for R1: (aka Trub Terminal R) is ready for testing at trub.atari8.info/cpm/TTR.ZIP

It is in fact a converted TT with the Indus CP/M routines removed and using CIO (via RS232 R1: driver) instead of the Indus-specific protocol.

Usage:

8. (VBXE) Adjust font colors (Ctrl + Shift -,=) and background (Ctrl + Shift 9,0), e.g. you may have pink fonts like in C128 CP/M ;)

9. (VBXE) Save color settings in the configuration file with Ctrl + Shift S

The font luminance and the screen background colors can be adjusted using the key combinations above in #8, and saved in key combo #9 above if you are using TrubTerm with the SDX RC_GR8.SYS driver.

So I guess the question is, how do you like your CP/M?  Picasso Blue?  Prince Purple?  Or Brick Red?

img_5588.trubterm.picasso_blue.jpg

img_5589.trubterm.prince_purple.jpg

img_5590.trubterm.brick_red.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spicyjack said:

I just got all of the devices in this whole "stack" dialed into HSIO index 3 (87Kb/sec) this morning, so it's cranking along.

I also need to see if I can move my SDX boot disk onto FujiNet at some point as the "boot" disk (this machine is NOT running U1MB)

In case anyone else is playing with the HSIO settings on their FujiNet...

I had to dial this FujiNet back to HSIO 8 (58Kb/sec) to get SDX on the SIDE2 cart to boot from a SDX boot disk mounted on FujiNet instead of booting from the SDX boot disk mounted on a SIO2SD box (version 1.3) at HSIO 3 (87Kb/sec).

• CONFIG boot disk is OFF
  • SIO STATUS is OFF
  • CONFIG boot mode is Mount Everything

But it works, with one less piece of gadgetry connected. ?

I'm getting 404's for the firmware from the flasher, am I missing something?

Unexpected error: Error while retrieving firmware file 'https://fujinet.online/firmware/firmware.bin': 404 Client Error: Not Found for url: https://fujinet.online/firmware/firmware.bin

wget does the same thing.

$  wget https://fujinet.online/firmware/firmware.bin
--2022-01-14 22:03:11--  https://fujinet.online/firmware/firmware.bin
Resolving fujinet.online (fujinet.online)... 157.245.127.133
Connecting to fujinet.online (fujinet.online)|157.245.127.133|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2022-01-14 22:03:12 ERROR 404: Not Found.

cathryn@paraguay ~
$

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2020 at 6:48 PM, tschak909 said:

Use the tnfs_client.py program here to get the file, you can then copy to the card: 

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/spectranet-tnfs-fuse

-Thom

Hi there, I adapted tfns_client.py to Python 3 (using bytes objects instead of strings), improved input parsing (allows download of filenames with spaces), found some hiccups when using it on Windows and such.

Is there interest to include this version in the repo? It's not fully tested yet, that's in the works.

image.png.55548fc06d22abd1e592b262b1a1e7db.png

Edited by mnemo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mnemo said:

Hi there, I adapted tfns_client.py to Python 3 (using bytes objects instead of strings), improved input parsing (allows download of filenames with spaces), found some hiccups when using it on Windows and such.

Is there interest to include this version in the repo? It's not fully tested yet, that's in the works.

image.png.55548fc06d22abd1e592b262b1a1e7db.png

awesome! just submit a pull request when you get it ready

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

awesome! just submit a pull request when you get it ready

Should I just replace the current Python 2.x code or create a new file for the Python 3.x version?

Also, do you know why the client script is sending Size and Free commands to the TNFS server, although these commands are not implemented in the server itself? The server doc says they're an implementation requirement, though. What gives?

Devices
-------
size - Get the size of the filesystem *
free - Get the remaining free space on the filesystem *

1 hour ago, mnemo said:

Should I just replace the current Python 2.x code or create a new file for the Python 3.x version?

Also, do you know why the client script is sending Size and Free commands to the TNFS server, although these commands are not implemented in the server itself? The server doc says they're an implementation requirement, though. What gives?

Devices
-------
size - Get the size of the filesystem *
free - Get the remaining free space on the filesystem *

I guess for now make a new python3 file.

As for size and free, yes, Dylan did put them in the spec, but they were never implemented by tnfsd. :)

-Thom

3 hours ago, tschak909 said:

I guess for now make a new python3 file.

As for size and free, yes, Dylan did put them in the spec, but they were never implemented by tnfsd. :)

OK, will do. I also implemented a command help, local cd, cat and dump commands and an option to use the OpenDirX and ReadDirX commands in the server. This makes calling stat() for each entry unnecessary.

image.thumb.png.33d793932a13d7faeea6e39ebeed7671.png

• Like 2

I see on the wiki, the N: SIO commands are pretty well documented. What about the R: and P: devices ? All I can find for R: is that a Type 1 Poll causes a handler to be loaded. Nothing for P: that I can find. Is there somewhere in the platformio folder I can find the source for either of these two device handlers ?

The R: commands map exactly to the Atari 850's serial interface. The exception is the listen command that can be sent, which is shown here:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-config-tools/blob/master/rlisten/src/main.c#L29

There is no documentation for P: as it is literally just the already known documented bits.

-Thom