IGNORED

SEGA Genesis 6-Button Only Games.

PixelCrunch

So, Pixel Here.

Did SEGA just release the 6-button controller JUST for Street Fighter II Champion Edition (I mean it's a pretty solid conversion, but with some eh music).

Can anyone here give me a list of games that straight up NEED the 6-button controller to function?

Thank you!

-PixelCrunch

(P.S, You can also separately include a list of games that CAN use the 3-button controller, but the 6-button controller is needed for the best experience. SEGA 32-X and SEGA CD games are also allowed, too.)

Mortal Kombat and Eternal Champions (both Genesis and Sega CD) are also borderline-unplayable without it. And then of course Super SF II has the same layout as SF II CE. Fatal Fury 2 with a 3-button controller isn't great, either. Same goes for Fatal Fury Special on the Sega CD. 

Very rarely did 6-button compatibility feel "tacked on" (one notable exception is SoR 3, which did not need XYZ at all) 

Edited by derFunkenstein

As noted, the Mortal Kombat games (all three of them) are severely gimped on 3-button controllers.  Six-buttons are pretty much a necessity.

Six-buttons are also needed for the best experience playing Defender and Stargate in Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits.   Both games give you the option to have dedicated thrust and reverse buttons, and Stargate allows for dedicated smartbomb and inviso buttons as well.  I don't recall fully, but it may be you can't even use inviso and smartbombs in Stargate unless you have a 6-button.

I also forgot these other fighters that can use lots of buttons: 

Samurai Shodown (both Genesis and Sega CD) - dedicated four punch/kick buttons + throw

Art of Fighting (Genesis) - only needed for Power Punch move ease

Brutal: Paws of Fury (Sega CD) - same as Street Fighter II

Other Mortal Kombat games beyond original (MK2, MK3, UMK3 all on Genesis) - previously pointed out in the thread

Non-fighting games:

NBA Live 96 and later (Genesis) - for calling plays

NFL '95 (Genesis) - for audibles only

Beyond Oasis (Genesis) - holding Mode lets you switch weapons with B

I'm willing to bet there's lots more. 

Edited by derFunkenstein
typo on Beyond Oasis

On 11/23/2019 at 8:25 AM, PixelCrunch said:

I also remember Doom for the 32X needing the 6-button controller for the best experience.

Yep, the added keys are nice for things like auto map functionality. They are also used for switching weapons quickly (hold Mode, then each face button will map to a specific weapon for quick switching). It's definitely helpful.