IGNORED

Space Battle

intvdave

On 11/25/2019 at 1:15 AM, intvdave said:

Most of you may not like the changes I have implemented so far but here it is for the fun of it.

sa.rom 16.06 kB · 31 downloads

I got around to playing this on my Retropie unit.  It's fun.  A nice twist to an old classic. If I may suggest a few things...

- change the sound and look of the lasers to something more like Space Spartans

- if you can get your squadron back to base.. it will rebuild one ship at a time for a time length, so you can stay alive longer in the harder levels.

- Complete waves... then harder level... etc.

- I like the black radar screen - looks cool.  Change the squares to some other shape (maybe small chevrons to represent the Vipers and create something to represent the Galactica).  This way there is a purpose to going back to the ship (center of screen), as it really looks like one.

- Sounds of battle or other background sounds on the radar screen other than the Space Battle beep.

This definitely needs some kind of voice support.  That would be great!

2 hours ago, IMBerzerk said:

I will graciously submit my voice for the role.  Please have the script shipped to my location.  I hope to bring recognition to this role as I did in the award winning short film where I played the weatherman. Please, please, no autographs.  I'm far to humble.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I will graciously submit my voice for the role.  Please have the script shipped to my location.  I hope to bring recognition to this role as I did in the award winning short film where I played the weatherman. Please, please, no autographs.  I'm far to humble.

Cool flick.  I liked it, albeit at 2:27 he pulls an already open bottle of beer out of the fridge and opens it under the counter.. LOL.   ?

It was a great twist and a really interested concept. 

Edited by IMBerzerk

On 12/10/2019 at 8:11 PM, IMBerzerk said:

I got around to playing this on my Retropie unit.  It's fun.  A nice twist to an old classic. If I may suggest a few things...

- change the sound and look of the lasers to something more like Space Spartans

- if you can get your squadron back to base.. it will rebuild one ship at a time for a time length, so you can stay alive longer in the harder levels.

- Complete waves... then harder level... etc.

- I like the black radar screen - looks cool.  Change the squares to some other shape (maybe small chevrons to represent the Vipers and create something to represent the Galactica).  This way there is a purpose to going back to the ship (center of screen), as it really looks like one.

- Sounds of battle or other background sounds on the radar screen other than the Space Battle beep.

Thanks for the ideas. Laser sound has been updated.

I considered implementing the reserve lives but then when everyone said they liked having the game end, I thought, why change the 9 lives? The original game would present about 50 enemies. My version will present about 150. You can finish this many off with 9 lives.

As shown in the post before, the representation of the squadrons has been changed and the center of the radar screen is now the Galactica. Thanks again for this. I do not know why I did not think of it :)

Beep sound on the radar screen works for me.

Updating games is always a challenge as I want to keep the feel of the original game but put a twist to it where it feels new. I want to hope I accomplished this.  I know many have said about adding voice but I have no idea where they would play out.

I need to play test it for how the game ramps up in difficulty. Once I fine tune this, I think this game will be wrapped up.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, intvdave said:

Thanks for the ideas. Laser sound has been updated.

I considered implementing the reserve lives but then when everyone said they liked having the game end, I thought, why change the 9 lives? The original game would present about 50 enemies. My version will present about 150. You can finish this many off with 9 lives.

As shown in the post before, the representation of the squadrons has been changed and the center of the radar screen is now the Galactica. Thanks again for this. I do not know why I did not think of it :)

Beep sound on the radar screen works for me.

Updating games is always a challenge as I want to keep the feel of the original game but put a twist to it where it feels new. I want to hope I accomplished this.  I know many have said about adding voice but I have no idea where they would play out.

I need to play test it for how the game ramps up in difficulty. Once I fine tune this, I think this game will be wrapped up.

Thank you again for your suggestions.

I'm glad I could help a little.  Thanks for taking the suggestions.

Voices would just be the Cylons talking during the combat scenarios. 

Like quotes you here in this...

• 1 month later...

The game is 99% done. I just need to fine tune the difficulty. One thing I did not like about the original is when ships would come out from the top or bottom as the squadrons were much closer than if they deployed from the left or right so... I have all enemy squadrons deploying from the left or right. They can get through your squadrons so maybe this is fine. I just need to play it more and tune it. I do not have a date as to when this will happen :(

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...