IGNORED

Zyx game collection #1

Why can't I do this?! I spent at least 2 hours, using every possible combination of everything, and I give up so I'm asking here. All I want is the creature to walk across the screen, but he comes up as a bunch of garbage code and not what I had told it to put in. Why?! I attached what I had when I finally gave up. If you compile now, you'll see what I mean.

zyxgarbledjunk.thumb.png.c34d38b244cd64e0cb25eff6312e7d71.png

thiswontwork.zip

13 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Why can't I do this?! I spent at least 2 hours, using every possible combination of everything, and I give up so I'm asking here. All I want is the creature to walk across the screen, but he comes up as a bunch of garbage code and not what I had told it to put in. Why?! I attached what I had when I finally gave up. If you compile now, you'll see what I mean.

zyxgarbledjunk.thumb.png.c34d38b244cd64e0cb25eff6312e7d71.png

thiswontwork.zip 22.71 kB · 1 download

You have defined animation in the rapinit.s file:

image.thumb.png.acd9d075e873f9c83b5a2292c19d35ac.png

And then for some reason you are also trying to manually animate it in the main loop:

image.thumb.png.056f7711aa850a499f8ed5a24d207146.png

Your main loop code changes the base address of the bitmap, and then RAPTOR is adding extra frames on, shunting it outside of the bitmap data.

Either:

• Define it as a static single frame in the init file and animate it yourself

or (recommended)

• Just let RAPTOR animate it for you

• Like 3

I had a heck of a time trying to make it so the title screen wasn't below the game screen. Either I fixed it or I modified the game screen so it wouldn't. I don't know. Anyway if you select the "greedy zyx" option, you get the beginning of the Greedy Zyx game. The object here is to get the bananas that pop up on the screen. There's no way to die just yet. Selecting the other options freezes the program. This is because the games haven't been made yet. The link to the game is in my signature for now.

Known bugs I think I fixed:

• Random-moving eggplant paces back and forth instead of moving randomly sometimes.
  • Pressing A after death makes you die again.

Let me know if either of these pop up during your playing of the game. The link is still in my signature. And I would also like feedback. I am going to move the random-moving eggplant's introduction to a score of 10, it's 1 now so it's easier to test it.

zyxisworking6.png

• 3 weeks later...

Beginning work on the "Classic Zyx" game. The Zyx can move left or right and jump by pressing A. Link in my signature still.

zyxjumpinginwell.png.72017fbab57c764427d576ae1f1bcc0f.png

Basically what I'm aiming for is Street Racer for the Atari 2600, only you're supposed to get the falling bananas and not avoid them. The holes at the edges are for the rats to come and go and you must jump over them. And avoid the oranges. But I haven't done any of that yet. Any idea why CLUTs containing 63 colors show up better than CLUTs containing 163 colors? The only other CLUT I have is one that's 16 colors for all the characters and stuff, so there's only 90 or so different colors on the screen.

This little yellow fellow is a Vut. You must jump over him and avoid him.

zyxinwell2.png.27273eef670b346c37820bda6de6c6af.png

I will also add a lime to avoid that falls from the sky like the bananas do. To jump, I changed it from A to B. The A button is used to get back into the game if a life is lost. And option is used to get back to the game select menu if the game is stopped.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jaguar does not seem to like trees. This is the second separate time I tried to draw a tree and it came out with a black trunk. While I did solve the problem after a few hours, the solution was to make the background an 8-bit .bmp instead of a 4-bit one, and add some colors to it.

I am working on the Running Zyx game now, this is where all the running will take place. So what I plan to do is make the items move from right to left. I'd like to have the background scroll too, but I don't know if I can nor how I would do that, so help would be appreciated.

runningzyxbeginning.png

The .zip file is on the webpage, the link to the Zyx webpage should be in my signature.

9 minutes ago, atari2600land said:

Great. Now the mountain is black. I can't change it back to purple.

WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO HARD?

It isn't.  There are tutorials to read with very clear examples.

Shouting ALL IN CAPS ABOUT HOW HARD IT IS without providing any example code will get you nowhere quite quickly.

• Haha 1

Sorry. It just gets me so frustrated. I think it has to do with me trying to use different programs. I found out that if I continue to use Photoshop to further edit a picture I want to do, it won't give me any problems. Right now I am trying to make it scroll. It scrolls, but the edges don't match up even though they do in the pictures. I'll continue working on this.