IGNORED

Frosty - extensive Berzerk hack

iesposta

Omegamatrix helped me expand the original Atari Berzerk.

This is a quick holiday hack of that featuring Frosty the Snowman.

The Frosty song in the Title / Options screen fit real nice. It loops endlessly.

Enjoy!

(Permission is granted to make a cart from the posted ROM.)

Frosty_20191125.bin

Frosty.jpg

• Like 13

We'll be featuring Frosty LIVE on today's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Frosty (2019 Berzerk Hack) by Mike Haas aka iesposta
- 2019 XMas Invaders (2019 Pepsi Invaders Hack) by Peter Steriotis aka Otis P. Driftwood (From RepentlessVG)
- Reindeer Rescue (2005) by Bob Montgomery (Programming) aka vdub_bobby & Nathan Strum (Graphics)
- Stay Frosty 2 (2014) by Darrell Spice Jr. aka SpiceWare

2025495039_20191203-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.0ab55a0995d3410d6eb4d410032a2c66.jpg

• Like 2

Great hack!

You asked about Frosty's colors shifting during the live stream - COLUP0 is getting updated at cycle 36, so well after the scanline has started to be drawn.  Arrow at top-left shows where the electron beam is when the color was changed.

2004124496_ScreenShot2019-12-05at3_04_01PM.thumb.png.021c991360ad21fb27a262bdf875d5fc.png

I cover why that occurs here using the sheared snowball in Stay Frosty 2 as an example.

sheared snowball.png

The Berzerk font also looks out of place, maybe a search on frosty font would give you some ideas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skwrl63 said:

I believe I need permission from Mike Haas (the programmer) first before AA creates any carts

You have my permission to make a cart from the posted ROM. I’ll update the first post. 

I don’t intend to make this an AtariAge store release. The hack was to be a Doctor Who game.

I also was thinking about making another expanded Berzerk with sampled speech, because the updates like no HMOVE lines,  diagonal shots, and options menu improve the Atari original release a lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iesposta said:

You have my permission to make a cart from the posted ROM. I’ll update the first post. 

I don’t intend to make this an AtariAge store release. The hack was to be a Doctor Who game.

I also was thinking about making another expanded Berzerk with sampled speech, because the updates like no HMOVE lines,  diagonal shots, and options menu improve the Atari original release a lot. 

Yeah I don't have the ability to make a cart. But AtariAge will usually do one-off carts for members (just click on "custom cartridge") if they Supply the ROM and label artwork (as well as permission from the programmer)

These are not AtariAge store releases but rather AtariAge making one Custom Cart for the individual.

I unfortunately don't have a computer in my house. So I'm unable to play any ROMs on a device (cart only)☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

I know I should really get with the times and buy a computer, but actually my kids don't really need computers in school yet. Our school district provides every child their own Chromebook up until they graduate high school.

Awesome hack regardless buddy. Maybe I'll still reach out and find someone who's willing to make me a cart...Thanks?