IGNORED

Street Rod 2600 (WIP)

TwentySixHundred

Ok so i have pegged down the red guy and can beat him every time without upgrades. It's still possible to lose with bad gear shifts so it's not a complete walk in the park. To me he seems a little too easy however probably the better idea for those learning how to shift optimally. I haven't changed the green or blue guy as of yet and will do some more testing to see if i can tweak the balance accordingly.

Latest Build: Street Rod 2600 20200208-c.bin Also latest binary added to first post

Changelog:

• easy opponent's difficulty pegged down
  • initial bankroll reverted back to $250

• 1 month later...

Small update, nothing too special just some code clean up and the score now has a dollar symbol to show your cash. Motivation is kind of at a standstill for a couple of reasons. For one i had been working on City Defence so that game ignited a fresh spark growing into a solid game. Secondly i have been kinda busy and is also the reason why development of City Defence has started to slow.

So tonight i was just in the mood of playing around with cleaning some code and revising what all the routines do ect. I have some plans, thoughts and features for both however choosing not to rush anything. I feel it's nice to take the break for awhile and just play some games rather then code all the time with what i have spare. Anyway cheers ?

Changelog:

• code clean up - removing any redundant code and general clean up (wip)
  • dollar symbol added - score now has the dollar symbol added for currency aesthetics

Latest Build:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Small update, the oppositions car colour changes depending on the opponent you're racing. I also changed some other colors mainly to keep the luminosity of colors consistent. Nothing major, just small snippets of refinement

Changelog

• Aesthetics - Colours

Latest Build: Street Rod 20200528.bin

• 2 years later...
On 9/6/2022 at 11:42 AM, psquare75 said:

This still going?

Sorry, yeah this was right when i was changing over to some 7800 development. So i left this on the backburner to pick up again later down the track. Things just got busy IRL and i had a few projects at once with 7800 that also have sat on the backburner.

These days im starting to get a little more time however i have no idea if and when i will pick this back up. The idea goes through my head that Streetrod would benefit more with the 7800's capabilities. That's on the massive what if list of ideas i have for the system.

There is a chance i may want to pick this up again as Streetrod was one my favorite DOS games BITD. I always wanted to make my own version of it and having this unfinished project sitting dormant makes me feel like i haven't done the game justice.

56 minutes ago, psquare75 said:

I get it. For what it's worth the guy who owns the street rod rights seems very passionate about the game, not sure if you ever spoke to him. 

I haven't spoken to him and was going to change the name at some point so i wasn't risking copywrite infringement. Last time i checked i couldn't find a name other than Lucjan Daniel Wence from Logical Design Works. As i knew the company doesn't exist anymore i never thought this fan port would get back to the IP holder.

Was he interested in this port and where it's heading? Or the original game in general? If he has any concerns or would like to chat about the project im more than happy for him to contact me. After all the game was one my favorites of all time and i still play it.

Regards

21 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I haven't spoken to him and was going to change the name at some point so i wasn't risking copywrite infringement. Last time i checked i couldn't find a name other than Lucjan Daniel Wence from Logical Design Works. As i knew the company doesn't exist anymore i never thought this fan port would get back to the IP holder.

Was he interested in this port and where it's heading? Or the original game in general? If he has any concerns or would like to chat about the project im more than happy for him to contact me. After all the game was one my favorites of all time and i still play it.

Regards

I never mentioned it to him. He did make the original games free to download as well as a card game on kickstarter 4 or 5 years ago. He managed to dig up the extra car set for PC as well. He was tinkering with an online version but it seems to have failed. Judging by his site and how most likely your game will be a download only I suspect he'd either be ok with it, or want to assist. https://www.streetrodonline.com

Ah yes Streetrod Online, i tend to go there every year or so to check for any news. I noticed the game became freeware and the site hasn't had any updates for a few years. Not exactly sure what is going on with the original source, i was hoping for a true sequel (sr3). I guess i could always send a few lines to atleast mention this port out of courtesy. Never know he might respond

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2022 at 11:03 PM, TwentySixHundred said:

Ah yes Streetrod Online, i tend to go there every year or so to check for any news. I noticed the game became freeware and the site hasn't had any updates for a few years. Not exactly sure what is going on with the original source, i was hoping for a true sequel (sr3). I guess i could always send a few lines to atleast mention this port out of courtesy. Never know he might respond

Wow this 2600 demake is really impressive.  I bet the current SR ip holder might give you his blessing to use the moniker. Basically my understanding is the current IP holder (guy behind street rod online) was a longtime fan of the series and acquired the IP in order to put the games out for freeware. He's more of an extremely enthusiastic fan of the series rather than the original developer of the game who might be curmudgeonly, or an IP troll who cares nothing about the game and just wants to exploit ips for money no matter what.

Of course his website hasn't been updated since 2018 so he may be a different sort of person now, or hard to get ahold of...  Here are some alternate names I've thought of off the top of my head in the event you want a name other than street rod: California Rod, Hot Rod Dreams, California Street Racin', Hot Rod Summer, Grudge Night

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:46 AM, sirlynxalot said:

Wow this 2600 demake is really impressive.  I bet the current SR ip holder might give you his blessing to use the moniker. Basically my understanding is the current IP holder (guy behind street rod online) was a longtime fan of the series and acquired the IP in order to put the games out for freeware. He's more of an extremely enthusiastic fan of the series rather than the original developer of the game who might be curmudgeonly, or an IP troll who cares nothing about the game and just wants to exploit ips for money no matter what.

Of course his website hasn't been updated since 2018 so he may be a different sort of person now, or hard to get ahold of...  Here are some alternate names I've thought of off the top of my head in the event you want a name other than street rod: California Rod, Hot Rod Dreams, California Street Racin', Hot Rod Summer, Grudge Night

Thankyou! I am yet to still try and make contact, however there hasn't been much activity over at SR Online as you noticed. I still may try to see what happens, although i haven't made much progress other than cosmetic visual changes. Thanks for having a look and the kind words though.