IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

Well that's weird.

I thought my cart loading issues my have been due to the fact my FAT partition was FAT32 as opposed to FAT16. So I copied all data onto my PC, formatted the FAT32 partition as FAT16, transferred all files back to the FAT16 partition and now no cart images work.

This is all a little too hard now. Can't we just specify 256k minimum and use an actual DOS?  As far as compatibility is concerned, I'd say xbios is a bit of a fail and just too slow.

2 hours ago, rensoup said:

To clarify, I wasn't hoping JM would have made it public domain or anything but if a cart version should happen, it would have to go through him first...

Perhaps when the project is done, we could have a poll and if the response is positive, ask him with a link to the poll included...

I'd really like to have a cart with the top end shaped like the palace ?

Is JM actually aware of this project ? If not, is/was he aware of the BBC version on which this is based ?

3 hours ago, rensoup said:

I'd really like to have a cart with the top end shaped like the palace ?

+1, that would be nice. And a title screen with iconic palace and a smaller mouse somewhere nearby maybe (if at all) ?

Edited by Jacques
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rensoup said:

@drpeter I'd appreciate if you didn't read in diagonal... read my post properly then you still have time to delete your nonsense

From the GitHib page:

"Please understand that this does NOT constitute a grant of rights of any kind in Prince of Persia, which is an ongoing Ubisoft game franchise. Ubisoft alone has the right to make and distribute Prince of Persia games."

So nothing to do with JM?

I would recommend that anyone wanting a physical cart, and has access to a drive/ SIO2PC / SIO2SD / SDrive-Max etc, simply order one from AtariMax and flash it themselves. Steve/Classics may even do that for you before posting if you ask.

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrathchild said:

I would recommend that anyone wanting a physical cart, and has access to a drive/ SIO2PC / SIO2SD / SDrive-Max etc, simply order one from AtariMax and flash it themselves. Steve/Classics may even do that for you before posting if you ask.

100% agreed. Maybe it's not Nintendo hunting C64 conversion of SMB on the Internet, but better to keep it low-profile and any commercial release seems impossible and lot of risk for one who'd offer it.

Flashing any of the supported cartridge or writing a diskette and putting self-produced sticker on it could be the way to go ;-)

44 minutes ago, Jacques said:

100% agreed. Maybe it's not Nintendo hunting C64 conversion of SMB on the Internet, but better to keep it low-profile and any commercial release seems impossible and lot of risk for one who'd offer it.

Flashing any of the supported cartridge or writing a diskette and putting self-produced sticker on it could be the way to go ;-)

To be fair, Nintendo still actively promote SMB, I believe you can still get the exact game for the Switch - I'd expect them to protect such IP.

When the C64 port was released, I knew right from the onset Nintendo would come out guns blazing.

But movie aside, I don't really see any ongoing promotion of the game Prince of Persia, and saying Assissan's Creed is a continuation of the franchise is a very loose argument. This is the way history dies, and such titles are a part of our gaming history and need to be preserved.

It's like clinging onto the brand name 'Amiga' as a patent troll, while stifling all ongoing development by anyone enthusiastic enough to do so. Hence the situation surrounding the newly released AmigaOS 3.2.

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

I don't really see any ongoing promotion of the game Prince of Persia

According to Wikipedia, they have a remake of POP- Sands of Time on the back-burner.

Hopefully sanity will prevail.

If no-one's gone after the BBC port, they're unlikely to be concerned over this one... 

• Like 2

Its not about 'going after the port', its people selling the port for profit... the BBC release is, as here, a binary image you can download for free.

Sometimes you can get away with a 'time and materials + postage' but with PoP I wouldn't expect to see a boxed release, e.g. as with GR 8 titles, as that would draw attention.

13 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Its not about 'going after the port', its people selling the port for profit... the BBC release is, as here, a binary image you can download for free.

Sometimes you can get away with a 'time and materials + postage' but with PoP I wouldn't expect to see a boxed release, e.g. as with GR 8 titles, as that would draw attention.

The C64 port of SMB was never for profit as far as I'm aware. Didn't stop Nintendo from hunting it down quick smart.

1 minute ago, Faicuai said:

That is precisely the point.

As I understand it, the point is that successful technical infringement of copyright/distribution rights depends on the goodwill/laissez faire of the rights holder, who is less likely to be provoked to action if there is no perception of an attempt to profit from breaching those rights or any undermining of the rights holder's ability to profit from their rights.

Free/non-profit distribution is fairly obviously not, if challenged, a valid defence against breaches of copyright/distribution rights. Otherwise one could offer free download of Blu-ray rips etc. with impunity.

It is also the case, I think, that failure to challenge previous breaches of those rights (such as the BBC port) undermines to some degree the ability to subsequently successfully assert those rights, since it might imply an acceptance that the material is now already in the public domain.

The author (JM) of the Apple II source code retains the copyright in that, it seems, and is therefore free to publish it. That in itself doesn't diminish (as stated on his GitHub page) the separate rights to the game he sold on (indirectly) to Ubisoft.

15 hours ago, rensoup said:

Well why didn't you mention that before ? ??

actually, it seems to me that you don't need these variables. xBIOS_OPEN_FILE is a combination of the xBIOS_FIND_ENTRY and xBIOS_READ_SECTOR functions. So if you are indexing you only need xBIOS_FIND_ENTRY and you don't need to read the first sector of the file - even faster. in the A and Y registers you have parameters that must be specified during xBIOS_READ_SECTOR for this file. interesting concept :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drpeter said:

It is also the case, I think, that failure to challenge previous breaches of those rights (such as the BBC port) undermines to some degree the ability to subsequently successfully assert those rights

Correct.

In court it is called "precedent".

However, it is the the owner´s future developments and revenue (being compromised by a retro-port tailored to 35+ years old HW) what would need to be argued or proven... and that seems highly unlikely on this case.

If it was not compromised already by BBC port, why would it be with this one?

48 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

it is the the owner´s future developments and revenue (being compromised by a retro-port tailored to 35+ years old HW) what would need to be argued or proven...

That would be more relevant to setting any damages, less I think to a requirement to desist from publication/distribution.

You can't I think ride roughshod over copyright just because someone's book is now out of print and unlikely to garner significant future sales for the copyright holder.  It does mean that they are likely to take legal action more as a point of legal principle in defence of the general concept of copyright- which if they are a large publishing house, they will do, as it's seen to be in their interest to do so.

Presumably that's what lay behind the action Nintendo took over the C64 port of SMB. It would be hard to argue they stood to lose significant sales on account of it- probably the opposite, if anything.  What they're doing is saying 'hands off ALL our intellectual property'.

Edited by drpeter

At least in the some jurisdictions around the world, actual economic damages for copyright violations do not have to be proven. They are set by statute. If you intend to sell this game at all, consult an IP attorney in your jurisdiction.

In the meantime, folks would be well advised to stop playing lawyer on the internet. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1