IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

1 hour ago, derSammler said:

You are either color-blind or - despite having written over 3.000 posts here so far - never actually seen an XL.

They are BROWN.

800px-Atari-800XL.jpg

Proud owner of 2 800xl machines here, I worry I may be colourblind now because that definitely looks like black to me ? 

:P

This reminds me of a classic Father Ted espisode:

image.jpeg.16cc2499b3b6d247a08cb3aee4b5239a.jpeg

To my mind the 800 and 600 XL's keyboard's and upper case's surrounding the keyboard are just very dark brown, like dark chocolate.

image.thumb.png.b7ace6f5be3f6a609b4c58682bcf2ace.png

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, chooooocooolate.....aaarrrgghh!!

image.png.de142b10d0e3abd4cfb97e9a742fcba7.png

But IMHO not true black.

If people post pics of their's you'd also have to take into account lighting and phone camera's settings. 

This is one of my PAL 800XLs which is dark brown, especially when you compare it next to the Atari CX40 which is definitely black:

image.thumb.png.79b4890189f8e556377483282feefe16.png

I am not gonna lose any sleep over it though. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I got my first 600xl when i was 5. Then shortly after a 1010 tape drive, then a 800 xl then a 1050, i still remember as a kid when i got the 1050 thinking hey this is brown not black.

maybe the lighting where the xls were kept but for a while in the beginning im sure i thiught black.

11 hours ago, derSammler said:

You are either color-blind or - despite having written over 3.000 posts here so far - never actually seen an XL.

They are BROWN.

800px-Atari-800XL.jpg

Oh my God I’ve been laughing my pants of over the last days.

its so easy to derail a thread here….

No, I’m not colourblind, quite opposite in fact.

I have owned a 600XL from about the first day they were released here…and plenty othe XL machines and components later on. 

of course they’re brown…..see compared to my black Suzo joystick….clearly brown.

BF458C35-CA96-4FE8-905F-303BA4A14B71.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Level42 said:

its so easy to derail a thread here….

We literally are the generation of ADHD from all the commercials on TV and playing the 'quick pick up and play video games' that were popular in the arcades and computers and consoles until there were .ore games that lasted longer and required more focus.

So yeah, derailing threads come easy to all of us.

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@Level42  heh heh - touché!

BTW that's a beautiful dark blue Suzo joystick you have there! ;);):D

Ha, so I was just thinking that the XL line being black was basically like how we call people from Africa as black.  When mostly the pigmentations rarely are full on black, but are mostly anywhere from light brown to dark brown.  But never are they dark blue.

• Confused 1

I can derail it a bit more... the 5200 and most of the cartridges are a dark brown as well. I didn't realize this until I looked at one under bright light and indeed that must made of the same pigment as the xl stuff in dark chocolate brown. However, not all of the carts are brown?! I've got a few Atari made 5200 carts that are darker and don't match the console's dark brown and do err on the side of being more black. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kyle22 said:

The 1050's bezel around the the mech is brown, The face of the Tandon or World Storage Mech is black.

The Indus GT is all black.

Who cares? They're all nice drives (w/ upgrades) :)

Every time I see Indus GT mentioned, I want to find one again... but as I have do many different drive emulators now, it would just sit on a shelf...

• Like 2

On 11/15/2021 at 1:52 AM, derSammler said:

They are BROWN.

800px-Atari-800XL.jpg

Never mind the brown, how long do I have to retrobright the rest of the case to get it back to white?

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

I like to use the real thing.

I would as well, but tracking down floppy disks, writing them out, etc seems more of a pain than it is worth.  I still have one container of disks for the 8bit from back in the day... I should see if my hacked Ultima IV is in there...

4 hours ago, leech said:

Every time I see Indus GT mentioned, I want to find one again... but as I have do many different drive emulators now, it would just sit on a shelf...

Until the emulators get a speaker to make that tock-tock-tock sound of the drive head stepping, there's still some magic/nostalgia in using the real thing. I don't use them often but think I should use them more before my floppies crumble away. It would be great to have a Happy compatible ROM or uploadable software for the Indus. 

34 minutes ago, slx said:

Until the emulators get a speaker to make that tock-tock-tock sound of the drive head stepping, there's still some magic/nostalgia in using the real thing. I don't use them often but think I should use them more before my floppies crumble away. It would be great to have a Happy compatible ROM or uploadable software for the Indus. 

You can still buy Happy upgrades for the 1050 at least.  Did anyone ever even make one for the Indus GT?

7 hours ago, slx said:

Forgot to add; my Gotek drives do indeed have a little buzzer that emulates the sound of the stepping motor.  Haven't seen anything like that for the Atari 8bits, but the Ultimate 1541 II+ also makes sounds (that is a seriously awesome device for anyone with a C64/C128)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, leech said:

Forgot to add; my Gotek drives do indeed have a little buzzer that emulates the sound of the stepping motor.  Haven't seen anything like that for the Atari 8bits, but the Ultimate 1541 II+ also makes sounds (that is a seriously awesome device for anyone with a C64/C128)

Lack of simulated drive mechanic sounds on the Atari is probably owed to SIO beeps stealing attention.