IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

8 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Ah, it shot straight over my head, sorry.

Honestly, it's a great virtual modem.

It’s a great virtual modem, virtual disk drive, virtual pinter interface, virtual MIDI interface, virtual SAM speech device, and probably one or two other things I forgot about. 

But I think it’s possible that some of the game I/O doesn’t take into account timing variability with real hardware compared to emulated drives. 

4 hours ago, Level42 said:

Are you using an LCD/LED tv ?

LCD monitors... NTSC-gamut approximate, mulri-freq.

I can clearly see the green-flash, at the beginning... and the later (slower) change of dancer's color to something like Turquoise (light greenish-blue, per Sophia-2 palette on DVI-D  output).

The "cursing" scene, later, on actual NTSC host... (sorry for the late-night ambient light reflection, in the background)...

She's a big-boobs red-head ginger-model....  ??

C0BDEB56-FF44-4586-99D7-37760AD2AF66.thumb.jpeg.b9277435274344a637e4084f3e3e2981.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 1:20 PM, Faicuai said:

On NTSC, color rendition comes a bit different, also nocturnal but a bit moodier, due to the purples (looks like you are rendering NTSC with PAL color-map, maybe)...

Yes. He uses a switchable Antic, but the palette is determined by GTIA, which is fixed to PAL in his system. The color differences he sees are due to a slightly different clock, but the palette is PAL, even with an NTSC Antic.

Edit: combined with a Sophia 2 with switchable palette, you could get true NTSC colors.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ivop said:

combined with a Sophia 2 with switchable palette, you could get true NTSC colors.

Absolutely. And vice versa, too.

Can't wait for a final NTSC / PAL convergent video-output upgrade... that would rock, especially if based off Sophia-2!

On 6/17/2021 at 1:55 PM, rensoup said:

Not sure if you have to disable Happy and be in some kind compatibility mode ?

Not sure but the previous version worked fine on the same setup. I copied the ATR to the disk again thinking it might be a bad copy and it did not help.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:47 PM, DrVenkman said:

EDIT: As it happens, I was looking at the screen while the crash occurred. The screen was black with the animating mouse while SIO activity was going on and then the screen turned blue, SIO stopped and the mouse continues to animate. Total time before crash was about 15 minutes, maybe a bit less. 

B0DB9617-0B1A-46A4-B5A6-E379BBFD1EE0.jpeg

So you said solid blue but looking at your picture that may not be solid... could it be something like this ?

flickeryblue.png.c68edbd9ad2e22bb9ff6f68bac609f75.png

That means: FILE NOT FOUND !

Could be that there's an issue with Fujinet, or it could be that there's a memory stomp that's trashing one of the filenames...

20 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

It's really bizarre.

Every .CRT image loads on FJC's 600XL, which is I believe almost the same spec as mine (perhaps he has VBXE?), but the only .CRT image that loads on my machine is the SIC one.

It is... at this point I would suggest using a different media (I suppose you're copying those to a CF), and/or a different device.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Level42 said:

That’s pretty logical indeed, however, it would be extremely easy to also let it work with the option key and I’d love to see it added too. I had to press every key I could think of to figure out how to get in the settings screen ?

That would take 5 extra bytes at least  ! I have very little memory left and every time I go optimizing I take the chance of breaking the game... but if you read the instructions on screen, it tells you to press ESC ?

11 hours ago, Level42 said:

I must say I like all default settings best now, especially the sound bank.

im not entitled sure about the screen flipping on the text card screens. Since the first times I saw them I’m used to the effect (which isn’t bad at 60Hz.) and it does ASD some “depth”....not sure how to call it. Anyway, the “normal” screens look a bit boring compared...

Some people are convinced that it looks better without it, can't argue with that ?

10 hours ago, Level42 said:

OK an interesting thing just happened:

after letting the demo run for at least 30 minutes (trouble free) I pressed the button of the joystick to start a game and it was during Jaffar “summoning” the hourglass.....so it might have been “exactly” during the flashing of the screen....next the load screen was white and I could barely make out the animated mouse and then the game screen looked like this.

will be a bit hard to replicate this I guess, maybe with emulator at slow setting ?

F4B9CB76-D643-42E6-822C-3595FC655EC9.jpeg

Good catch.. I'll fix it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjlazer said:

Not sure but the previous version worked fine on the same setup. I copied the ATR to the disk again thinking it might be a bad copy and it did not help.

Anybody had any luck with Happy and could help tjlazer ? 

I believe I tried in Altirra (added a Happy device and firmware) and it loaded ok.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:38 PM, rensoup said:

But more seriously, the reason I did that is because on emulators, the special atari keys are mapped to functions key and people end up pressing reset.

9 minutes ago, patjomki said:

I'd vote for removing ESC then.

infinite loop detected...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rensoup said:

So you said solid blue but looking at your picture that may not be solid... could it be something like this ?

flickeryblue.png.c68edbd9ad2e22bb9ff6f68bac609f75.png

That means: FILE NOT FOUND !

Could be that there's an issue with Fujinet, or it could be that there's a memory stomp that's trashing one of the filenames...

Sorry, but gotta vote for a memory stomp. This occurs on every single NTSC machine I've tried it on, while the PAL version - also loaded via FujiNet from the very same little server on my LAN) can run for hours, at least until the separate issue I posed about last night. 

2 hours ago, rensoup said:

I'd like that very much of course but JM still holds the rights to the game so that's unlikely

OMG this is devastating ?

The game was such a milestone for PC's, everyone knows it! I would be so proud, as an Atari owner, to have a boxed copy for my system, on my shelf ?

But if you rename it to "Duke of Iran", then maybe?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, xxl said:

if you write about PoP, I'm not the right person for it.

No, I'm taking about xBootDos, as it's a hassle to make a proper set of disks, what about to have in the website disks (90k, 180k, ...) already initialized and with an example file (autorun) inside (any), ready to just replace that file.

Regarding topic: I put "(somewhere)" in the last post as it's off topic.

Edited by tane

1 hour ago, martinez said:

OMG this is devastating ?

The game was such a milestone for PC's, everyone knows it! I would be so proud, as an Atari owner, to have a boxed copy for my system, on my shelf ?

To clarify, I wasn't hoping JM would have made it public domain or anything but if a cart version should happen, it would have to go through him first...

Perhaps when the project is done, we could have a poll and if the response is positive, ask him with a link to the poll included...

I'd really like to have a cart with the top end shaped like the palace ?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, rensoup said:

if a cart version should happen, it would have to go through him first...

Errr... copyright is not restricted to code in ROM !? 

Not sure of the legal or moral case you're making here.  ?

If POP is not considered abandonware, then you can't issue ports of it in any format without infringing copyright. Has JM specifically said in the past that he's OK with non-ROM-only formats?