IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

17 minutes ago, Jacques said:

Sure, it hangs like that even on standard OS with 1xSIO right from the boot. Not to mention 1x is enforced by PoP due to xBIOS anyway.

You could try reformatting your SD card, fat32 if I recall. Then you could try with another SD card if that doesn't work (make sure it is of decent quality/speed)

Edited by rensoup

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

You could try reformatting your SD card, fat32 if I recall. Then you could try with another SD card if that doesn't work (make sure it is of decent quality/speed)

That was my findings re: SIDE3 .CRT images. I have no idea why it made a difference, but if formatted to FAT16 the .CRT images wouldn't load, format to FAT32 and one image loads fine (where as others are reporting all three .CRT images load fine?). I agree that the SD card used may have a bearing on compatibility here, SD cards seem to be fickle things.

21 hours ago, rensoup said:

I never had any issues with the 2GB uSD card I'm using with FujiNet with any software. It was FAT16-formatted, though, so re-formatted to FAT32 but it made no difference.

Now used freshly reformatted 8GB SDHC as well, and it didn't changed anything.

The issue is 100% reproducible on my FujiNet 1.3 with the latest firmware and hangs exactly as presented on earlier photo ?

Edited by Jacques

23 hours ago, zbyti said:

@rensoup after big celebration of POP on A8 here another challenge fory you ;)

Pass ?

AW was a terrible game and such a disappointment on the ST, looks like it got a little worse... Could be a technical achievement on the C64 but everything was so wrong to start with.

Both PoP and AW have that cinematic game syndrome but JM managed to pull off a great game contrary to AW...

I'd like make another port, have to keep my side of the bargain with TIX ? but finding the right candidate is difficult... It has to be interesting for both of us and it has to be a good game (so cross AW !)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jacques said:

I never had any issues with the 2GB uSD card I'm using with FujiNet with any software. It was FAT16-formatted, though, so re-formatted to FAT32 but it made no difference.

Now used freshly reformatted 8GB SDHC as well, and it didn't changed anything.

The issue is 100% reproducible on my FujiNet 1.3 with the latest firmware and hangs exactly as presented on earlier photo ?

It could be because every other software infinitely retries to load, there could still be something wrong with one of the components.

Perhaps someone who owns Fujinet can help diagnose the problem ?

26 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I'd like make another port, have to keep my side of the bargain with TIX ? but finding the right candidate is difficult

there is not much to choose from: StarCraft, AlienBreed, MonkeyIsland, Karnov, R-Type

:D

4 hours ago, Jacques said:

you could try moving the mouse outside the screen so it stops being refreshed, which would make the VBi very fast (but possibly still not fix your issue)

XXL suggested that I add infinite retries too... so maybe I'll go with that.

55 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Pass ?

AW was a terrible game and such a disappointment on the ST, looks like it got a little worse... Could be a technical achievement on the C64 but everything was so wrong to start with.

Both PoP and AW have that cinematic game syndrome but JM managed to pull off a great game contrary to AW...

I'd like make another port, have to keep my side of the bargain with TIX ? but finding the right candidate is difficult... It has to be interesting for both of us and it has to be a good game (so cross AW !)

Spitting out some names...  Galaga, Shinobi, Rygar, SMB, Sonic, Summer Games II, World Games, R-Type, Gunship, The Sentinel, Blue Lightning, Checkered Flag, Toki, Ugh!, Exploding Fist, Skyfox, Fort Apocalypse 2, Impossible Mission, Elite, Paradroid, Ghosts n' Goblins, World Class Leaderboard, Heart of Africa, Nemesis, Delta, Defender of the Crown, Zynaps, Barbarian, Wizball, Bubble Bobble, California Games, Revs / Revs Plus, The last Ninja, Pirates, Out Run, Commander Keen  ...and now back to POP.

• Haha 1

I would dream of any from the list: Test Drive II, Grand Prix Circuit (no such racing games on Atari), Giana Sisters, Super Mario Bros (C64 conversion), Turrican, Creatures as we're missing a lot in racing and platform games department (Crownland is great, but not quite there).

Project Firestart or Times of Lore would be great, too, not to mention Last Ninja II ;)

Edited by Jacques

On 7/5/2021 at 12:18 AM, zbyti said:

@rensoup after big celebration of POP on A8 here another challenge fory you ;)

It's not for a standard C64 but for Mega65. The standard 6502 is way too slow to make so many filled polygons and there is nothing in the standard chips to help (like blitter)

1 hour ago, ilmenit said:

It's not for a standard C64 but for Mega65. The standard 6502 is way too slow to make so many filled polygons and there is nothing in the standard chips to help (like blitter)

Are you sure?

https://www.destructoid.com/check-out-this-amazing-c64-port-of-another-world/

I was fairly sure Eric talked about C64 not Mega65.

if he run AW on Mega65 he mentioned it:

@ilmenit Eric wrote "I'm porting the game Another World to the MEGA65 8 bit computer (along with the C64 version)" and "A lot of work has been done the last few days on Another World C64, the graphics engine has been completely redesigned. Now everything is rendered to a chunky buffer before being converted to bitmap graphics. Polygon blending and masking are now possible. NO SPRITES USED, NO PRE COMPUTED ANIMATION DATA."

Edited by zbyti

1 hour ago, ilmenit said:

The Mega65 is in such a state of disarray, it'd be lucky if anything was ever specifically ported to it. Last I saw it was running as a Spectrum.

18 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

I hardly believe AW is going to work on pure C64 in playable speed. You can do a few dozens of bresenham lines per frame on 6502. And that's for unfilled polygons.

With the exception of cut scenes, the game's essentially a platformer. I fail to see why polygons are such an important consideration?

The teaser video of the first and last cut scenes seemed to run at a great rate for any 8bit 6502 based machine IMO.

Edited by Mazzspeed

12 hours ago, rensoup said:

Yeah screw AW..  for me arcade is king,

so after this laborious project is done, I'd like to treat myself with some sweet arcade sprites !

we'll talk.

1 hour ago, zbyti said:

It's quite different statement then:

;) 

Not really. The game needs reasonable and consistent frame rate to be working as a game and not as a slideshow ;-) 

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

With the exception of cut scenes, the game's essentially a platformer. I fail to see why polygons are such an important consideration?

The teaser video of the first and last cut scenes seemed to run at a great rate for any 8bit 6502 based machine IMO.

AW is not a PoP that was running on different 8bit platforms and I doubt the video is from unmodified 6502 C64. After reading how it was pushing limits of 16bit platforms I won't believe until some executable is shared.

https://fabiensanglard.net/another_world_polygons/index.html

Yes, it's a platformer but not one where you can use hardware sprites or text mode. You need not only to draw polygons (sometimes very big) but also copy the background each frame for redraw. In gfx mode it's very slow on 6502.

Edited by ilmenit

52 minutes ago, ilmenit said:

AW is not a PoP that was running on different 8bit platforms and I doubt the video is from unmodified 6502 C64.

Well, what's an unmodified C64? My 600XL didn't come with 128k of ram, I added the extra memory. Even if a 16MB REU was used, that's a peripheral based on a cycle accurate FPGA recreation of Commodore's DMA controller that was a genuine Commodore accessory in the day that can be used as a blitter of sorts, so 'unmodified' is a fairly loose term in the grand scheme of things.

That video was from an unmodified C64. As a platformer, the C64 is literally the perfect 8 bit machine for such a game as a result of it's VIC-II, color memory, sprite engine, and underlying architecture composing of it's interleaved bus and AEC pin allowing the VIC-II to take bus priority only when needed meaning clock for clock the 6510 is actually running quite efficiently.

Once again, I'm struggling to see the use of polygons aside from cut scenes here? I ran AW on my A500 in the day and I'm fairly certain I didn't even need 1MB chip ram to do so, I was never of the impression the game was pushing the machine that hard. However, we are getting way off point. I believe this is a thread for the discussion of the A8 PoP port, it's best we get back on topic.

Edited by Mazzspeed

AW is not just yet another standard template platformer, it has used some innovative techniques such as advanced rotoscoping+polygons, at least for the character animation. You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(video_game)#Development

I'm not saying a stock C64 (or Atari, for that matter) can or can not  handle it though - I don't know. It's probably a big ask though. If that teaser will be like the final result then it is indeed impressive - even if with less fps.

And it's one of the best games ever, including gameplay. I'd much rather play AW than the rage-inducing PoP :)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, youxia said:

AW is not just yet another standard template platformer, it has used some innovative techniques such as advanced rotoscoping+polygons, at least for the character animation. You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(video_game)#Development

I'm not saying a stock C64 (or Atari, for that matter) can or can not  handle it though - I don't know. It's probably a big ask though. If that teaser will be like the final result then it is indeed impressive - even if with less fps.

And it's one of the best games ever, including gameplay. I'd much rather play AW than the rage-inducing PoP :)

You can download the intro demo including the main character swimming out of the water on csdb, I may even download it and give it a whirl.

In between trying to repeat my success of jumping past the guard on the first level of PoP...

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1