IGNORED

Champ Games - Gorf Arcade (2600)

johnnywc

Played my first game of Gorf Arcade on the actual cart, purchased at PRGE. Made to Mission 68 (102,690) on Standard difficulty.

One patch down. Three to go. That Challenge patch will be quite the Challenge. 😉

Love this game!  Love the t-shirt too.

D4353B4D-0A63-4B39-84A6-D4F60A85360C.jpeg

C5F5DA87-C214-4B79-A1A2-5065947F4FEA.jpeg

501BA5C7-A149-490E-9028-5C087EDB91D6.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I may be somewhat biased, but IMO this is hands down the best home console version of Gorf. Btw, if you plan on buying this cart and do not have an Atarivox, please purchase one. You'll need it to hear the speech and you really want to hear the speech. It wouldn't be Gorf Arcade without the taunting and all of the arcade screens. Loving it!

Thank you @johnnywc and @Nathan Strum for creating this gem and @Albertfor making the carts available at PRGE.

• Like 5

On 10/17/2022 at 5:36 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Played my first game of Gorf Arcade on the actual cart, purchased at PRGE. Made to Mission 68 (102,690) on Standard difficulty.

One patch down. Three to go. That Challenge patch will be quite the Challenge. 😉

That was quick! You must have been practicing or something... ;) 

On 10/17/2022 at 5:36 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Love this game!  Love the t-shirt too.

Thanks Steve, and thanks for being a part of the Gorf Arcade Tester's Club! :cool:  Glad you like the t-shirt too - thanks for the support! 

:idea:  If any one is interested, we have a few more Gorf Arcade shirts available (in various sizes, some with a black background and some with a navy blue one) if you're interested!  (we also have CHAMP GAMES ones also, black or blue, various sizes ;)  ).  Send me a PM for more info. ✉️

On 10/17/2022 at 5:54 PM, littaum said:

I enjoyed playing Gorf Arcade at the AA booth - much better experience than the actual Gorf arcade machine at PRGE - didn't have a fuzzy fading monitor and a joystick control you needed two hands to move. :)  

Glad you had fun! :thumbsup:  I had a few minutes to play some arcade games on Sunday afternoon but the Gorf machine was down (wanted to compare ;) ) but did sneak in a co-op game of Wizard of Wor with my brother and another co-op game of Fire Truck as well! 🚒

On 10/17/2022 at 6:06 PM, sramirez2008 said:

I may be somewhat biased, but IMO this is hands down the best home console version of Gorf. Btw, if you plan on buying this cart and do not have an Atarivox, please purchase one. You'll need it to hear the speech and you really want to hear the speech. It wouldn't be Gorf Arcade without the taunting and all of the arcade screens. Loving it!

Thanks again Steve!  I agree - AtariVox is a must for Gorf! :D  

On 10/17/2022 at 6:06 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Thank you @johnnywc and @Nathan Strum for creating this gem and @Albertfor making the carts available at PRGE.

You're welcome, and thanks to you, @McCallister, @Machine, and @Bomberman94 for the many hours of testing and feedback - Gorf wouldn't have turned out nearly as well without the help! :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

On 10/17/2022 at 9:38 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Achieved Space Champion on ADVANCED difficulty. Mission 66 (97,790). Two patches down (Space Avenger and Space Master) two to go!

Excellent! :thumbsup: I'll be adding these scores to the  list of Gorfian Legends on our website soon!  @Albert has graciously offered to send out patches, but that may take a while as he's in transit from Portland and recovering from PRGE. ;) 

On 10/17/2022 at 10:37 PM, sramirez2008 said:

I beat the game on NOVICE! You can add the Space Warrior patch to the list. Three out of four Patches achieved. I'm done for tonight.

:o  Maybe I should have made the game a tad more difficult... ;)   

35 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Shout out to @Nathan Strumfor the Gorf Arcade game manual. It's well laid out, highly informative and looks great too.👍 

Agreed!  Nathan really hit this one out of the park... it's one of the few manuals I didn't mind re-reading/proofing a few times. :)  Nathan of course did the graphics and even did of the voices for the AtariVox, so his contribution to Gorf Arcade cannot be understated.  :D 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Machine said:

The final one is gonna be rough, but I like a good challenge!

That Challenge patch is definitely a challenge.

<Edit> I’m not playing Atari tonight. Enjoying the evening watching some baseball with my wife and younger son. Cheers everyone.

B100AC59-50FF-42AA-9F6C-5D459F881F0F.jpeg

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Gorf wouldn’t be Gorf without all of taunting. I’m glad the speech was worked in and it’s crystal clear too.

How are you guys handling mixing the sound from the 2600 with that of the Atari Vox?  I've had one for many years - was a very early adopter on using them with the 8-bit computers.  I always had to run an extra cable to an external (powered) speaker with mine.  Is this still the case?

I use old computer speakers. Sounds pretty good and the speakers do not take up too much real estate. I have a giant power strip bar(6 footer) that feeds power to all the retro systems. When I leave the room, I hit a light switch and all the power bricks get turned off.

How does Albert have the AudioVox hooked up?

1 hour ago, Machine said:

How does Albert have the AudioVox hooked up?

When I'm using monitors that have speakers with audio inputs, I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GJCA6M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

And the appropriate cables.  An A/V modified 2600 is also required for this setup.  You run the audio outputs of both the 2600 and AtariVox into this, and then run the audio output to the monitor (in my case, the back of a Commodore 1702 or similar monitor).  Works very well.  :)

..Al

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is a tremendous game, and lives up to all of the hype prior to its release.  The wait was well worth it.  The challenge of the game is darn right perfect, and I'm glad that the resets don't cost me quarters!  Kudos to John and the rest of the team for such a superb game.  Bravo...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2022 at 10:54 PM, Utilikey said:

This is a tremendous game, and lives up to all of the hype prior to its release.  The wait was well worth it.  The challenge of the game is darn right perfect, and I'm glad that the resets don't cost me quarters!  Kudos to John and the rest of the team for such a superb game.  Bravo...

Thanks for the kind words, we're glad you're enjoying Gorf Arcade!  Champ Games had an elite group of testers for this game that really helped dial in the difficulty ramp up, including @Nathan Strum, @Machine, @sramirez2008, @McCallister and @Bomberman94. :thumbsup:  Special thanks to @Nathan Strum for the graphics and for converting the 30+ arcade phrases to the AtariVox, plus we added 15 new ones as well, and to Bob D. aka @PacManPlus for the amazing sound effects. :music:  

If you have purchased the cartridge from AtariAge at PRGE (and soon to be released in the store), be sure to visit https://champ.games/gorfian-legends for the rules to compete for up to four different Achievement Patches 🎖️ (while supplies last; we have 200 of each) and add your name to the Gorfian Legends Leaderboards! :D 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

ATARIAGE DAY 2022: FALL EDITION

THIS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!

image.thumb.png.f03715ca34735c7f43cba5fdd915af26.png

Make sure you tune in this Saturday and Sunday to ZeroPage Homebrew for the biggest LIVE UNBOXING and INTERVIEW EVENT OF THE YEAR for Atari Homebrew! ZeroPage Homebrew will be hosting AtariAge Day 2022: Fall Edition celebrating all the newest Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Atari Jaguar releases!

Saturday Nov 12 & Sunday Nov 13, 2022
LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT (Click for your local time)
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

We will be talking LIVE to the developers of TWENTY FOUR GAMES that are hitting the AtariAge Store:

• Blocks (2600) - Jeremiah Knol & Jeff Haber
  • Boulder Dash (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch & Andrew Davie
  • Gorf Arcade (2600) - John Champeau
  • Grizzards (2600) - Bruce-Robert Pocock
  • Lode Runner (2600) - Dion Olsthoorn
  • Oozy the Goo Slime Quest (2600) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • Qyx (2600) - John Champeau
  • RAPTOR (2600) - Andrew Pauley
  • RubyQ (2600) - Silvio Mogno
  • Stratovox (2600) - Carlos Centeno
  • VROOM! (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch
  • Rob 'n' Banks (5200) - Ryan Witmer
  • 2048 (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Attack of the PETSCII Robots (7800) - Mike Saarna
  • Dragon's Havoc (7800) - Todd Furmanski
  • Galaxian Arcade (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Keystone Koppers (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Popeye (7800) - Darryl Guenther
  • Slide Boy in Maze Land (7800) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • UniWarS (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Chaos Engine (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Gods (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Stormbringer (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS EPIC LIVESTREAM!

- James

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Caerimonia said:

Will Gorf be available for purchase soon? A few months ago Champ Games said would be on sale after the event. Just wondering if I missed out or taking longer. Thanks.

It will be available soon.  Just catching up on some orders right now, and as soon as I have finished that (in a few days), I will then be focusing 100% on getting the new 2600, 5200, and 7800 games into the store, including Gorf Arcade.

..Al

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 1:40 PM, johnnywc said:
  • Archon is not officially planned, although a display kernel was worked on for a few weeks back in 2014 with Thomas J.

Wow, this one would be quite amazing to see.  :D   Good luck on that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Wow, this one would be quite amazing to see.  :D   Good luck on that one.

Thanks!  It's been about 10 years since I've worked on it.  We had the board kind of working, plus you could select pieces and move them but that's about as far as we got:

This was the version I was working on, started back in 2009 or so:

archon_32k_3.thumb.png.7dcc24408c8535ca2bca3cf1e5a6c777.png

It alternates drawing 5 sprites per row on one frame and the other 4 on the other frame, but there are some issues with timing on the last row (which could probably be resolved using fastfetch/CDFJ+/etc.   The red lines indicate a power square.

TJ @Thomas Jentzsch stepped in to help in 2013 or so (don't remember exactly when) and we started from scratch and worked on the colors and added in alternating scan line shifting to reduce the flicker:

archon_poc_1.thumb.png.3bc3b79bb0ef831ab42a9bed9abf8ff9.png

Since the sprites are flickered on every frame, you can see that the colors of the characters change dramatically depending on what background color the square is (white, black, or the cycle color).

Anyway, maybe one day we'll pick it up again - I loved playing Archon back in the day! :D 

• Like 6