IGNORED

THE END 2600 * FINISHED COMPLETE GAME *

RaymanC

You guys ?

Personally, I'm really happy with the way this one turned out.  The idea was to ever-so-slightly evoke the old Konami Gradius style artwork (as it's a Konami game).  In my mind, this ship is like some funky early prototype of Gradius' Vic Viper - that's why it's got a lot of aircraft styling and actual missiles.  Like a space F-16 :)

As for the color scheme - the weird insect-based Stern version's marquee art was all green and I thought that might be a fun color to use as you don't often see it in space games.

It is a GREAT game by the way.  I'm very excited to get my hands on it too.  Carlos has absolutely smashed it out of the park with this one.  I actually prefer it to the coin op.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, liveinabin said:

Carlos has absolutely smashed it out of the park with this one.  I actually prefer it to the coin op.

Couldn’t agree more! Btw I love the artwork, love it! Thank you both for this production.?

@Albert Thank you too.

Played a bit of the final NTSC ROM from 1st post. Difficulty set to A

B83E25E8-D9AF-4188-A78B-E49FCB62A8ED.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, liveinabin said:

Carlos has absolutely smashed it out of the park with this one.  I actually prefer it to the coin op.

Thank you guys !! I am very happy that you liked the game !!

For me, creating a game for the Atari 2600 and have it on cartridge with its own artwork, box, label and manual is like a dream come true !

Thanks David for creating such a wonderful work !!

• Like 4

a5f0be030cd74a46c67a0df36730578e.jpgP

19 hours ago, liveinabin said:

You guys ?

Personally, I'm really happy with the way this one turned out.  The idea was to ever-so-slightly evoke the old Konami Gradius style artwork (as it's a Konami game).  In my mind, this ship is like some funky early prototype of Gradius' Vic Viper - that's why it's got a lot of aircraft styling and actual missiles.  Like a space F-16 :)

That was my intent with Galagon too. It strayed from that but that Gradius image is awesome. 

Edited by DaveD
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 4:08 PM, RaymanC said:

Hello all !

Here is a new homebrew game I made for the Atari 2600 that I named THE END 2600.
It is based on the 1980 Konami version of the arcade game THE END.

** AUG 02 2020 UPDATE **

** FINAL ROMS ARE AVAILABLE **

** CARTRIDGE CIB WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON AT ATARI AGE !! **

OBJECTIVE:
To destroy aliens attempting to steal bricks from your 3 defense bases.
The aliens will arrange stolen bricks to spell out  "END" at the top of the screen.

Use your joystick to move your spaceship left of right and press the button to fire to the aliens.

THE POINTS:
Each alien destroyed scores 40, 60 or 100 points.
Destroying aliens carrying a stolen brick scores double.
Destroying MotherShip scores 10 to 100 points. That same amount will be awarded as bonus for each brick needed to complete the word "END"

ANOTHER DETAILS:

You start the game with 3 spaceships.
An extra ship will be awarded when you reach 5,000 points.

Game is over when all your spaceships are destroyed or "END" is spelled out by the aliens.

Each level is represented by a "wave".
Every 5 "waves", the MotherShip will come down to attack your spaceship. If you destroy it, a "round" of 5 "waves" will be completed.
When a new "round" begins, the aliens with have to start spelling "END" all over again.

** USE OF THE LEFT DIFFICULTY SWITCH **

** A = ADVANCED  - GAME STARTS WITH 6 ALIENS AND FASTER ALIEN BULLETS **

** B = BEGINNERS - GAME STARTS WITH 3 ALIENS AND SLOW ALIEN BULLETS **

The game is complete and fully playable.
It has 40 levels and is fast and very challenging.

The game is not exactly in graphics as the arcade version but the gameplay is. Also I have added some animations that are not in the arcade.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it !
Please tell me your feedback about the game and let me know if the game is too easy or too hard or if you find any bugs in the game.

Let's see those high scores !!

RaymanC

Base Profile Screenshot 2019.11.19 - 11.50.00.22.jpg

won't work on my harmony cart

The End 2600 Instructions .txt 2.22 kB · 116 downloads

The End NTSC - RC6.bin 32 kB · 10 downloads The End PAL60 - RC6.bin 32 kB · 3 downloads

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
20 hours ago, rcwalter70 said:

Did you ever get this to work? I have a Harmony Encore as well (v1.06) and the loading icon just spins.

I had this same problem with this game and a couple of others and was also running v1.06. Every other game worked just fine. The solution turned out to be reflashing the bios. Once I did that, this game and all the others worked great with no issues.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I just got this cart in yesterday from the AtariAge store.  Is anyone having issues of it crashing?  I cannot get the game to start, I see the opening title screen and once you reset the game or hit the fire button it crashes my system

I am using an Atari 7800 with an AV mod and has the expansion port on the side.

I do not have a 2600 to try it on but has anyone who bought the cart able to run it ok on their 7800?

I also ordered Zoo Keeper, Deepstone Catacomb and Avalanche and all three of those work great along with all of my games I have gotten from the Atari Age store.

The system just crashes to a screen similar to a screen like a dirty cart, but this cart is clean and so it slot.

Is anyone else having this issue?

11 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

I just got this cart in yesterday from the AtariAge store.  Is anyone having issues of it crashing?  I cannot get the game to start, I see the opening title screen and once you reset the game or hit the fire button it crashes my system

I am using an Atari 7800 with an AV mod and has the expansion port on the side.

I do not have a 2600 to try it on but has anyone who bought the cart able to run it ok on their 7800?

I also ordered Zoo Keeper, Deepstone Catacomb and Avalanche and all three of those work great along with all of my games I have gotten from the Atari Age store.

The system just crashes to a screen similar to a screen like a dirty cart, but this cart is clean and so it slot.

Wow! Looks like you may be the first to receive this cart. I’m waiting on mine to arrive, so I can’t confirm yet. I have three 7800’s (only one is modded) that I can test with upon arrival.  In the meantime you may want to reach out to Al as well. 

15 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

I'm sorry about the issue you are having with THE END. 

As far as I know, it was working fine with the Atari 7800. In fact it was played on an Atari 7800 in the Atari Age Day presented by Zero Page Homebrew on May 1st of this year.

I will contact Albert to see if he can help with this issue.

1 hour ago, RaymanC said:

I will contact Albert to see if he can help with this issue.

I may have another 7800 in storage that I can try to find today.  Perhaps it will work on it.

However I will be real keen to hear about other peoples experiences.  It is possible I got a bad chip in my 7800 or perhaps the cart did not flash completely.

1 minute ago, imstarryeyed said:

I may have another 7800 in storage that I can try to find today.  Perhaps it will work on it.

Should work fine on the 7800, however, it is not terribly uncommon for a random homebrew game to not work in someone's 7800.  The 7800 is definitely the most finicky of the 2600-compatible systems out there.

1 minute ago, imstarryeyed said:

However I will be real keen to hear about other peoples experiences.  It is possible I got a bad chip in my 7800 or perhaps the cart did not flash completely.

You're one of the first people to get a copy, as I only shipped a few to people who also ordered the Jaguar pre-order games.  So it's going to be a few weeks before others start getting their copies. 

I test Melody-based games twice before they go out--first after programming the board and again after the board has been assembled into a cartridge, but before I have labeled it.  So it was definitely working on my end before I shipped your package.  But sometimes a game won't work when the customer tries it in his or her system, and it's not always obvious why. 

I am curious if it works in your other 7800 system.  I'll be glad to replace the cartridge for you, of course.

..Al

• Like 1