IGNORED

HSC16 Round 21: Thanksgiving Feast

We'll leave Round 20 open for another week, it is a chance to play any games from this season or any games from 2019 but we'll start our "Thanksgiving Round"!

We have Food Fight for the main game and the typed in by deteacher's own fingers very BASIC bonus game Turkey! Each player can bring one other food related game to the table for a bonus course ;) Get your working turkey here: Turkey - Dos 2.5.atr

This short round ends 4pm Thursday 12th December 2019, then we'll hit Moon Patrol Redux, ready or not! probably :D

Food Fight

Play on INTERMEDIATE

Start from level 1 on each go

Select = pause/resume.

Download fandal

Info Atarimania

image.png.b8826f44cdc3f8c70c60aa151f7bcca9.png

Some Info from last time

trbb:

There is something to Food Fight as you play more you notice the mechanics:

The chefs can only fire when then have food / when they are over the piles, so back away sometimes!
You only fall down the holes if your feet go over them
You can score more by fighting it out for longer
You can stand on a pile with fire held and hurl lots or, better, grab stuff as you go
The food travels horizontally at the same speed as you so you can chase it to run though to the other side
Make sure to grab something to eat before the cone so you start the next level armed! The start to each level is key - sometimes you have little chance!

If anyone has some better hints post away :)

McKong:

All good tips, especially the one about going pre-loaded into the next round, I've been using that.

Another thing is that the watermelon never runs out, so you can tear them a new one on the screens with melon on

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 7:17 PM, Sikor said:

Maybe Popcorn! (http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-popcorn_4066.html) will be ok as bonus game?

===

TRBB: 7800 manual - 404 error, file not find :(

Thanks updated - Atarimania has a PDF of our version of Food Fight. Yes each player brings one item (game) to the table for the feast, so you've brought Popcorn now all you need to do is POP it and play it ;)

Food Fight: fairly difficult on Inter but after a few goes managed to battle it out more to get some points and reached level 8.

47,000 (score does not show at end of go). Select Pause/Resume

623880661_FFIntermediate.thumb.jpg.d9d1f2e92afe7fda3d847fa33abd4b11.jpg

My bonus item is Burgers! Paddles game, seems to only move on Dual mode, too easy to be much fun but has one giant burger on some levels that I think I skipped past or shot by mistake.

Burgers.thumb.jpg.5e9915ad5d30c4e82f90293038136edd.jpg2109646872_Burgers1.thumb.jpg.42baf35a7e038ee102b34883df917c4f.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 6:13 PM, therealbountybob said:

We have Food Fight for the main game and the typed in by deteacher's own fingers very BASIC bonus game Turkey! Turkey - Dos 2.5.atr Each player can bring one other food related game to the table for a bonus course ;)

Does anyone know I should load Turkey from my SIO2SD?

I tried booting it without holding option, and something loaded alright (see pic), but can't do anything with it?

Thanks in advance 

Also, looking for something decent to play next that I've missed. Might try Castle Defender, or if anyone has any good suggestions, feel free to share

Cheers,

Dave

20191204_221120.jpg

On 12/4/2019 at 10:20 PM, STARBUG said:

Does anyone know I should load Turkey from my SIO2SD?

I tried booting it without holding option, and something loaded alright (see pic), but can't do anything with it?

Thanks in advance 

Also, looking for something decent to play next that I've missed. Might try Castle Defender, or if anyone has any good suggestions, feel free to share

Cheers,

Dave

Hmm Did I forget to put TURKEY.BAS on the disk image?! Will check later!

I completed Turkey on all the levels, you're not missing much :D

4 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Hmm Did I forget to put TURKEY.BAS on the disk image?! Will check later!

I completed Turkey on all the levels, you're not missing much :D

Ha! I'd still like to give it a shot. I remember typing in pages of code from the magazine's back in the 80s, and the games never working. Funnily enough, there was one I remember it took me hours and hours, and was also food related. I think it was called chicken run or chicken something or other. Anyway, I need to rid myself of those past demons and get an edible-bird based basic game to run, that's the dream anyway! ?

We can make this round the full two weeks if needed: Food Fight is a few minutes a go and the bonus game is about 1 minute to complete! The last round new games bit helps identify a few gems for furure plays and is a good reference point if anyone does not want to try everything, I'll post a summary of the good ones at the end of the round ;)

Eventually we'll get to the point I once suggested that we're running two HSC rounds in parallel with one week shift. Except for the GM to keep standings updated, perhaps that is a good idea as it both allows for long rounds for people not being able to play right away, and for alternative games for those already bored with the ones in the first/current round.

R1: Weeks 1-3

R2: Weeks 2-4

R3: Weeks 3-5

R4: Weeks 4-6 etc

2 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

:D

The Turkey disk image is updated (was file order problem with that t-rusty BASIC menu I think)

Have fun !!

That was a surprisingly satisfying combination of keyboard mashing and luck!

The Master level was actually the quickest, I chased him down from behind, poor turkey!

Nicely done @Deteacher (Did you create this, or just type it? I'm unsure, but either way, well done!)

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 3:12 PM, STARBUG said:

That was a surprisingly satisfying combination of keyboard mashing and luck!

The Master level was actually the quickest, I chased him down from behind, poor turkey!

Nicely done @Deteacher (Did you create this, or just type it? I'm unsure, but either way, well done!)

Oh, I did NOT create this game...I just typed it in from a magazine.  Thanks for the kudos.  It had been so long since I typed anything in BASIC.  At first, I was like "What does any of this mean" but as I went along, it all started coming back to me.  It was fun!

• Like 2

Food Fight (Intermediate, Level 1): 22500 pts

I never looked up which key to pause the game so I couldn't grab a screenshot before it returned to the title screen.

Turkey Chase: I cleared all five levels Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert, Master within 7 minutes of playing including an accidental reboot. It could definitely be improved with graphics, joystick control, perhaps exits where the turkey could be lost, additional turkeys to chase, timer... well, basically anything to make it a full worthy game. I doubt that e.g. COMPUTE! would have listed it and included translated versions for many formats but this was from another magazine which perhaps had a smaller selection of user contributed programs.

My own bonus game for this round is Banana, a catch 'em game where you lose lives both from missing bananas and get run over by wild animals. At least 3-5 minutes of fun, though from third level and onwards the animals run so fast that my reflexes don't catch up. I managed to score 210 pts, though the colour cycling effect on the title screen makes it super hard to take a picture with the camera.

banana-210.jpg.ff6eab4a9418117957260660bd3569ab.jpg

• Like 2

first tables

FOOD FIGHT

On INTERMEDIATE from Stage 1

1st   STARBUG                     56,800  12pts
  2nd   therealbountybob         47,000  11pts
  3rd   McKong                       44,900  10pts
  4th   carlsson                      22,500  9pts
  5th   roadrunner                   16,300  8pts
  6th   Mangia-Boy                  11,200  7pts

turkey caught by

trbb, carlsson and STARBUG
bonus food items @ 1pt each

trbb's burgers

sikor's popcorn (when he plays it!)

carlsson's bananas (ha ha, with apologies to the crazy folk, you know who you are)

So will STARBUG hold on take his first win ever? Probably not as it's just not that sort of club :evil: ;)

This short round now ends 4pm Thursday 12th December 2019, then we'll hit Moon Patrol Redux for another short round, then probably only a couple of rounds to go, we'll try and finish early Jan and then get setup for the next season to start mid Jan :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

OK!

Reachedl level 10, please don't make me play this terrible game any more ;)

224109186_FFInterLv1063200.jpg.d6f00b59f931699df61db1d49f000958.jpg197312544_MelonHead.jpg.a18101e014c2eddaa60bc2475eaffbb7.jpg

Ha, I felt the same way. I still might try snatch the lead later in the week.

I'm gonna try that Conquest Of The Crown (another terrible game?) again now and see if in can beat that level 2! It's really not an great game, but you improve with every game, so the challenging aspect is appealing.

Food Fight not so much (I really think that's all luck) ?

Dave