IGNORED

This really blows things away...

emkay

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:23 PM, tomaswoj said:

For the curious planet lovers above, a bit behind the scenes - how it developed. The core of it was implemented during a business trip (these help in demomaking!, especially long distance flights, PL <->US this time, with 2x9h time for uninterrupted coding), when waking up on a jetlag early mornings in Chicago downtown hotel.... :P And then significantly enhanced...

It's pretty simple effect, leveraging DLI (and changing GTIA colors every 2nd line), PMGs (as 'curtains' giving this nice pixel perfect round shape, again changing hpos and colors every 2nd line). Below the PMG is a 'bare bones' LMS on display list combined with a hscroll (so the central, equator parts are moving faster, but still smoothly, than the others). No rocket science, I'm afraid, but looks good. Smoke and mirrors in A8 style, but leveraging to the most the capabilities of these chips. 

On the contrary - the jetpack fx coded by Gorgh is a fully fledged engine. No shortcuts, no smoke and mirrors. And that is why it is 'enabled' for expanding into a game. 

farplanet_evolution_Oct_2019.png

I understand the technical side of the effect just fine - no problem with that - base features combined in a nice way with an artistic touch. Cool.

But, how on Earth did you code on that flight ?!? I've done the Chicago <-> Krakow/Warsaw flight, like, 20 times, last time earlier this year. It's a ruthless killer. Kids screaming for 10 hours left/right. Often up and down. Kicking to seats, vomiting. Watching movie is impossible. You need 3 days to mentally recover from it.

How old are you again ?

Economy Plus helps (if you can get that reimbursed :)). And the motivation and focus (and good headphones) and that thought at the back of your head, that if not now then never (hard for me to find comparable amount of spare time at home for me). So I try to use every free slot possible for that hobby. I'm 40 (dunno if it helps here or the opposite :)).

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, tomaswoj said:

Economy Plus helps (if you can get that reimbursed :)). And the motivation and focus (and good headphones) and that thought at the back of your head, that if not now then never (hard for me to find comparable amount of spare time at home for me). So I try to use every free slot possible for that hobby. I'm 40 (dunno if it helps here or the opposite :)).

Well, Economy Plus definitely helps but we never managed to get the company to pay for it. I'm 3 yrs older, so at least it's comparable.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...