IGNORED

Season 16 Round 13 - Super Mario Bros.

asponge

to maximize points:

-- Haul ass for time bonus so the B button on at (almost) all times

-- Avoid the star as it prevents you from kicking turtle shells or multi-bouncing on enemies

-- Getting all 6 fireworks at every flagpole adds up to 72,000 pts

-- And yeah the coin rooms and hogging more coins.

9 hours ago, S.BAZ said:

burned my last few lives for a few extra points, then died before reaching Bowser, King of the Koopa.

in addition to the rules listed above, I also avoid collecting the same 1up mushroom more than once.

Through the test of time, Super Mario Bros has emerged as my most favorite Super Mario Bros game.  The other ones eventually get tiresome.  (not counting Mario Kart games)

I've been trying to reach a million points in this game for over 30 frikkin' years!  One of these days...

scored 970k a few years back

something's gotta give...

Super Mario Bros (NES) 870950.jpg

It should be against the rules to grab the 1up in 8-2 more than once. I always have a bunch of lives by that point anyways. I also refrain from intentionally burning lives to boost score (I've been trying for deathless, but 7-1 is the furthest I've made it without dying). I'd like to hit over 800k and I'm getting close.

SMB1 is my favorite for the same reason you said. I like the relative simplicity and it doesn't drag on too long.

On 12/26/2019 at 1:06 AM, S.BAZ said:

burned my last few lives for a few extra points

On 12/26/2019 at 10:50 AM, mbd30 said:

I also refrain from intentionally burning lives to boost score

S.BAZ, it's not clear from your post whether you did this or not, but yes, please don't intentionally die to loop a section for additional points.  That is certainly considered point pressing.  If you just accidentally lost some lives while collecting some extra points, then carry on.

Some great scores this round.

Points Awarded:

S.BAZ        870,950  +11  73
mbd30        831,000  +13  87
agb          744,450  +12  26
Floyd Turbo  646,350  +11  58
asponge      635,000  +10  80
Tempest      633,350  +9   81
Wrathness    465,150  +5    5
empsolo      457,450  +4   46 
jblenkle     381,050  +3   28
Mister-VCS    61,200  +2   11
Mangia-Boy    35,750  +1   14
  • Like 1

My apologies, I didn't know point-pressing would be a questionable thing, with the limited number of lives. I've always thought point-pressing has been deemed acceptable in competition, such as jumping next to Donkey Kong as the timer counts down, or keeping Linda on her feet issuing punches until the timer runs down in Double Dragon before moving on. Preserving my (limited) lives and using them for points seems like fair play to me.

But I will keep this in mind for the NES HSC from now on!  And I will follow that rule in any games where point-pressing can be done.

At least in this case I only had I think 3 extra lives to burn and I was in 8-4 so there wasn't much scoring to be done.

24 minutes ago, S.BAZ said:

My apologies, I didn't know point-pressing would be a questionable thing, with the limited number of lives. I've always thought point-pressing has been deemed acceptable in competition, such as jumping next to Donkey Kong as the timer counts down, or keeping Linda on her feet issuing punches until the timer runs down in Double Dragon before moving on. Preserving my (limited) lives and using them for points seems like fair play to me.

But I will keep this in mind for the NES HSC from now on!  And I will follow that rule in any games where point-pressing can be done.

At least in this case I only had I think 3 extra lives to burn and I was in 8-4 so there wasn't much scoring to be done.

Yeah I'm careful to not point press because of that rule. I would have had a much higher score in the Double Dragon contest otherwise. I got 198k but could have had over 300k by doing stuff like repeatedly punching Linda.

Yeah I'm careful to not point press because of that rule. I would have had a much higher score in the Double Dragon contest otherwise. I got 198k but could have had over 300k by doing stuff like repeatedly punching Linda.

The spirit of the no point-pressing rule was always to keep certain games from become tedious by having to perform repetitive tasks on each play through.  If everyone wants to do away with that rule in the next season (at least for timed games), that's fine by me.  I was just keeping with tradition.  Let me know what you think.

14 hours ago, asponge said:

The spirit of the no point-pressing rule was always to keep certain games from become tedious by having to perform repetitive tasks on each play through.  If everyone wants to do away with that rule in the next season (at least for timed games), that's fine by me.  I was just keeping with tradition.  Let me know what you think.

Allowing point pressing makes coming up with rules a little more complicated. As you said, it's only okay when you can't do it indefinitely such as being restricted by a timer. It's not okay in a game like Contra. Any exploit that allows endless pressing such as 1up loops or going through an entrance/exit in Double Dragon to reset the timer must be forbidden.

Some games have timers but they have 1up loops and/or endless extra lives from points. In that case you have to forbid collecting any 1up more than once or have a one life rule. For games where you keep getting lives from points it's better to have a one life rule but that also increases the frustration factor.

NintendoAge would even have low score contests for some games. Then you no longer have to worry about the point pressing aspect.

Edited by mbd30

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, mbd30 said:

NintendoAge would even have low score contests for some games. Then you no longer have to worry about the point pressing aspect.

Hey, here checking out some examples of point pressing. Anyway, LOVE the idea of doing a low score contest. This is something I've actually challenged myself on (Ms. Pac-Man becomes challenging in a weird different way). I'd be down for some "highest level w/lowest score" nes challenges in the future! LSC if you will.