IGNORED

Phoenix Power Supply Requirements

rxmage

Having missed the pre-order, I purchased my Phoenix on the secondary market.  Upon receiving my unit, I noticed something interesting.  The back of the Phoenix indicates that it requires 12v 1A, but the power supply included with my Phoenix is 12v 500ma.  The unit appears to run without issue, but power adapter I have is only able to supply 6 watts when the back of the unit shows that it needs 12 watts.  This is a pretty substantial difference.  From the photos I have seen, my power supply looks like the ones included with the unit.  But, I wonder if having purchased not directly from Collectorvision, I might have received an incorrect power supply.  If someone would be so kind as to verify what the output of their Phoenix power supply is, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Chad

3 minutes ago, Tursi said:

I run my Phoenix from a bench supply, and it draws under 200mA at 9VDC. I'd go with a minimum 250mA supply to be safe, and you need at least 8v to overcome the power regulator drop. 12VDC 500mA is plenty.

Thanks!  I was going to cobble a cable tomorrow to test the draw with my multimeter.  Saves me the time!

I guess the games I have glitching are just issues with the cores.  If there is any interest, here are the list of games so far I have issues with:

Golgo 13, Ms. Space Fury, Ninja Princess, Pac-Man Collection, Space Invaders Collection, Star Force and Wonder Boy

These are all the rom versions and I have the same issue running them with my Ultimate SD.  The games all freeze during game play.  Some of them take a while of game play before they freeze, such as Wonder Boy.

All of the above games were tested with Rev 6,5 and 3 cores and all froze.  The older cores exhibited sound issues that the Rev 6 core didn't exhibit.

The one physical cart that I had issues with was Gradius.  It resets on Rev 6 and 5, but works on Rev 3!

Hopefully in the next core update these issues might be resolved.

27 minutes ago, rxmage said:

Thanks!  I was going to cobble a cable tomorrow to test the draw with my multimeter.  Saves me the time!

I guess the games I have glitching are just issues with the cores.  If there is any interest, here are the list of games so far I have issues with:

Golgo 13, Ms. Space Fury, Ninja Princess, Pac-Man Collection, Space Invaders Collection, Star Force and Wonder Boy

These are all the rom versions and I have the same issue running them with my Ultimate SD.  The games all freeze during game play.  Some of them take a while of game play before they freeze, such as Wonder Boy.

All of the above games were tested with Rev 6,5 and 3 cores and all froze.  The older cores exhibited sound issues that the Rev 6 core didn't exhibit.

The one physical cart that I had issues with was Gradius.  It resets on Rev 6 and 5, but works on Rev 3!

Hopefully in the next core update these issues might be resolved.

What controller are you using?

Okay, so I tried a different configuration of controllers and had success.  Just used the SNES controller and didn't have issues.  Swapped out a different Coleco controller and didn't have issues.  Not sure why the controller I originally was using caused the games to freeze.  That controller works just fine on an actual Colecovision.  This must be some known issue for you to ask that question...wonder what is up with my controller that is causing games to crash?

Interesting.  Well, I guess tomorrow I will crack both controllers open and have fun with a multimeter seeing what the issue is...yeah, I really know how to live it up.

Thanks for the help!  I never would have thought of looking to the controllers for this issue!

Edited by rxmage