IGNORED

Namco Arcade Pac portrait mode hack

Andromeda Stardust

Okay so I decided to take my switch off the dock and play some arcade games in portrait mode. Common sense dictates the logical arrangement for portrait mode is to remap the buttons such that the user holds the screen vertically, using only the left joycon to play.

But it appears on closer inspection this is impossible. While I am glad they included an option to rotate the screen, it is broken by design. Sure I could probably figure out a way to mount my 4k 48" TCL UHDTV to portrait mode (a lot of desktop monitors allow this by default) and use existing controller defaults.

Even in handheld mode, I discovered that the action buttons are still located on the right joycon, with movement on the left and 90 degrees out of phase. So it becomes necessary to detach the left joycon and configure it. However sliding the left joycon into the switch tablet until it clicks effectively disables it as an auxiliary controller.

So my lame assed workaround and presumably the only way to get the game to comfortably run in portrait mode without an external controller, is to set the left joycon as P1 and slide it onto the switch half cocked, without allowing it to click into place. See attached image at bottom of post.

As such, this workaround is presumably impossible to apply on a Switch Lite with non-removable joycon. How did Namco miss such a blatantly obvious oversight? AFAIK, there is no way to map portrait mode controls exclusively to the left joycon while docked into the system. 

Nevermind half the emulated games have laggy controls, even in handheld mode. And I could also go on about the questionable game selection and flamboyantly bright screen borders. Galaga '88 is clearly the hidden gem of this whole collection, besides the usual classics and filler titles.

But seriously Namco, why the half-assed portrait mode? ??‍♀️

20191218_125104.jpg

Edited by Kosmic Stardust

I imagine they didn't think someone would want to play a big handheld in this awkward manner. I suspect they thought if a customer was to take advantage of TATE in handheld mode, they'd just be propping the system up on a desk and detaching the Joycons or using another controller. 

Have you considered buying a flip grip? While evidently not too pleased with Namco Museum, there's no shortage of vertically oriented arcade classics on the system that could still take advantage of this accessory.

flip.jpg.551e32c81f8c5ec4864c384a4b2f317c.jpg

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have no issue holding the system vertically. However gameplay is currently impossible on the Switch mini, and clunky on the original system. I got huge hands anyway. I can hold the system however I want. That flip grip is pretty cool though. I would love playing donkey Kong Arcade like this.

• 2 months later...

The reason it doesn't support that is because afaik Nintendo doesn't support it... you're just not supposed to hold your controller like that, it's not built for it and I doubt any other game supports it. I have a flip grip and while I haven't tried it with this game, it is a nice piece of equipment. Strange that it's 3rd party and Nintendo hasn't made their own.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:35 AM, digdugnate said:

im glad there's someone else that noticed the laggy controls on the games- it's the worst for me on Dig Dug.  ugggggh!

Have to admit I didn't notice. Compared to the Psikyo collection, it feels responsive... Ms Pac-man on Steam actually regularly drops inputs, dunno how they mess something like that up.