IGNORED

How important to you is getting CIB games?

Hi! I've been collecting games for years without knowing it, but I really started getting into collecting properly for a year or so. I have a general questions for all of you, since I assume most of the people on this forum know a lot about collecting. So how important is it for you to get CIB games? Do you mainly care about acquiring games to play them and getting them CIB is secondary or is it the other way around? I just bought Kid Icarus: Uprising without the stand and I'm just wondering if I should have been more patient to get the game, plus the stand and cardboard box. Nevertheless, I'm just super excited to be able to enjoy that game since I've been meaning to play it forever, but I couldn't find it at a fair price. Just wondering how you guys feel about this. Thanks!

I really like to have manuals, especially for newer games. A few times I have actually declined to purchase a game because while it was in the box/case, the manual was missing. Condition is less important (some of my manuals have suffered damage at the hands of previous owners) than their existence.

Happily scanned copies of manuals for most titles are available online, and I have created colour-printed reproductions once or twice. It is almost as good as having the original. 

Had you asked me before the last about 10 years I'd say it was everything to me.  Before that time you didn't have a premium involved in getting paper, cardboard, dust sleeves and the rest.  It was more just luck of the draw if sight unseen, or you just got it and the prices were just what they were.  When I was a kid, not really on the NES time period, but Gameboy forward I kept all the game boxes, manuals, etc.  I lost my boxes some years back but I've retained most my manuals and I wouldn't part with them now unless the game went too.

Today though with how bad stuff is, if I even buy a game now, and it's a cartridge based system I'll take the game alone as the asinine prices on the rest would deny me quite a few other opportunities which is just sad.  Now though when it comes to stuff in a jewel case (CDs) or mini cards (DS/Switch sized) it's complete or forget it because they're too small or easily jacked up so I want it protected, plus as I figure if someone took good care of a lousy jewel case from the 90s then odds are the disc isn't a disaster either as they cared.

• Like 2

Being that I'm not a dedicated gamer, and play almost exclusively on a 35 year old computer, CIB is not a big deal for me.  I'm happy with downloading a program and putting in a multicart or on an emulated drive.  If no manual is available, I enjoy making my own in my spare time.   I've only purchased one NIB game in years and that was because nothing else like it ever existed before and I respect the guy who designed the hardware that made the licensed port possible.

A CIB game is pretty awesome if you can get one, but I can't say it's a requirement for me.

If I can get it for about the same or only slightly more, I'm all down for it.

I don't require it by any means though, and I've actually opted to get some of those fake, custom game cases as they look pretty snappy and better than loose carts~

1644486469_Annotation2019-12-20184426.thumb.png.7ccd62617daeac6a2c9a8d9a9729b436.png

(Pardon the quality, only picture I had on hand. Also those loose games have cases now as well!)

Definitely not a requirement for me.  It depends on what your requirements are.  I only need to have a playable version of the game in good condition.  It's the software that is most important to me.  If I get CIB or NIB it's just a bonus or I couldn't find anything else.  I do however need it to be on original hardware and from the original release of the system (and maybe a few homebrews).  I don't do the flash cart thing or collect "roms".  I feel that is like cheating.

On 12/19/2019 at 5:08 PM, jhd said:

I really like to have manuals, especially for newer games. A few times I have actually declined to purchase a game because while it was in the box/case, the manual was missing. Condition is less important (some of my manuals have suffered damage at the hands of previous owners) than their existence.

Unfortunately, most games this generation *don't* come with manuals.

• Sad 1

I don't have a fixation with CIB;  I have a fixation with "Not tied to an ephemeral distributor."

I should explain--

Games with a large zero-day patch (which is basically the ENTIRE game, because of rushed production to press a disc so it can be in stores for some target timeslot), while "Complete in Box", with a physical disc and everything-- are not actually the playable version of the game.  20 years from now, will that zero-day patch be available on a retro console?  NO.

I am fixated on that not happening.  It being in a box or not, or coming with feelies, or any other such thing is not essential to me.  Being able to get it, in a fully usable state, 20 years from now-- like we do with classic games, is what I care about. 

• Like 1

I could've sworn I posted in this thread- but apparently not.

For 2600 games, I only collected the CIB for the games i realllly liked; the Berzerk box with comic is awesome.  For 3DS/Switch games, my preference is that I have the case for the cartridge- it makes me sad when I see 3Ds games in paper envelopes for sale.  Likewise, CD games really ought to have their original jewel cases.  :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...