IGNORED

Wonderboy WIP - Favorite Port of All time

Yaron Nir

I think it looks very nice, and just as the Intro/title screens progressed, so will everything else... honestly, I would hope some renderings ideas or constructive encouraging direction would have been nice. 

kudos to yaron for delving into the world of Atari programming... It's only getting better.

• Like 1

when we will have more "front" objects in game , like the ones i am working on now, then it might look better:

image.thumb.png.86f65c0f0847f512019894df0d64ab11.png

also, we can update the boy's colors to blend in more with background.

@kiwilove, don't worry, these are fine tunes that can happen later on,

for now there are PLENTY other challenging stuff to do in order to get this level done

• Like 7

On 4/3/2020 at 7:40 PM, Yaron Nir said:

?

Wasn’t aware they did resemble tune .... 

but you must admit , notes are different than original but still very much alike 

Actually Fred Brooker had many inspirations while creating music. Have look on music in Microx: http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=2462 Now, how many themes do you know, eh? :) 

Edited by miker

22 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

If wonder boy is possible, I also wonder if Bentley Bear from the 7800 would also be a possibility?

well, graphics seems doable. the only caveat is that the enemies are also HW sprites. 

in A8 they will have to be software sprites.

other than that, i think it is doable....

32 minutes ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Really - I have that and cannot say I enjoy it's gameplay, very home-brew - am I missing something?

sTeVE

i guess differnt strokes.......

• Like 2

I've just come here.

I have always been a massive fan of Wonderboy Arcade and people seem to write it off for no reason. The sequels get a lot of credit and the original seems to just be thought of as the 'poor cousin' but I was very much of the mind that I prefer the simplicity and the addicitive nature of Wonderboy.

For me, Wonderboy is where all these infinite runners come from!

I thought the two c64 versions, the official one and the alternative version on the Beau Jolly Big 30 box set were both very good

(there were some slight variations and a sprite issue),

They were pretty close to the Arcade.

I am also very happy to see this project, because, I have recently got myself a nice refurbished Atari 800XL.

On 12/23/2019 at 1:30 PM, Lost Dragon said:

Loved Poltergeist and Thunderbolt on C64 at the time.

I was very disappointed with Poltergeist. Look at the cover artwork!

I thought it would be a Ghostbusters style action game, but it turned out to be a middle-of-the-road shooter.

Every game he made for the c64 had a misleading Movie title...

Back to the Wonderboy conversion... I don't know what people think is wrong with the 'ice palace' type level. It looks good to me in both original and your version.

2 hours ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

I've just come here.

I have always been a massive fan of Wonderboy Arcade and people seem to write it off for no reason. The sequels get a lot of credit and the original seems to just be thought of as the 'poor cousin' but I was very much of the mind that I prefer the simplicity and the addicitive nature of Wonderboy.

For me, Wonderboy is where all these infinite runners come from!

I thought the two c64 versions, the official one and the alternative version on the Beau Jolly Big 30 box set were both very good

(there were some slight variations and a sprite issue),

They were pretty close to the Arcade.

I am also very happy to see this project, because, I have recently got myself a nice refurbished Atari 800XL.

wonderboy for me was the top 1 arcade game back in the late 80s. 

i spent great deal of coins just to continue this hard game.

for me to be able to think it is doable and possible on A8 , and to actully make that happen is indeed a dream come true.

i was very frastrated to see many of my favorite acrade games being ported to C64 but never to A8, although from hardware perpsective they were pretty much the same.

i read somewhere it was a matter of product marketing and progressing to newer systems....

but now, in 2020 , with great homebrew tools written by good developers and with a great deal of enthusiasm we are pushing this project forward.

we are not that far from completing the ice level and once it is done, we will publish the game with this one level for all to enjoy - as a demo game

(game hopefully will be released on an A8 cart commercially)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

wonderboy for me was the top 1 arcade game back in the late 80s. 

for me to be able to think it is doable and possible on A8 , and to actully make that happen is indeed a dream come true.

i was very frastrated to see many of my favorite acrade games being ported to C64 but never to A8, although from hardware perpsective they were pretty much the same.

I think maybe it was because a lot of the conversions were done in the UK? And the A8 range wasn't that popular here. Nothing technically holding it back. I'm very happy to see this and I wish you all the best! :)

9 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

part of my fun playing about with the demo is wonderboy's head disappearing as I get on higher plateaus and jump upward... :) his head comes back as he come back down. :) 

Haha 

ineed to fix that as the boy overlapps with the status bar issues begin... 

• 4 weeks later...

97199722_Credits_mine.png.77ee3b7945a78a473501a2c1b3e2451f.png.528e97c240c3845eab52e3578ebd0ba9.png

Just to inform the all Team members are still alive and well.

The top two are fighting with bit & Bytes, cpu, Memory and all these kind of stuff while the other two were battling last weeks to get a pixel perfection picture boy and girl:

233317520_Picturescreen48Byteswide14_05.png.561d32ef9fd95a6ebf15707d484dcbae.png

And the other one? He's also ok and listen music while doing some more sound notes but he prefers to work alone.

?

?

• Like 15

Any chance of a 128k Cart sized demo? (for those of us UNO users too cheap to get an 8Mbit cart?)

Looks very nice.

Remember Wonderboy in the Arcade but never really paid it much mind, was too busy playing Robocop or Enduro Racer or something.

18 hours ago, José Pereira said:

97199722_Credits_mine.png.77ee3b7945a78a473501a2c1b3e2451f.png.528e97c240c3845eab52e3578ebd0ba9.png

Just to inform the all Team members are still alive and well.

The top two are fighting with bit & Bytes, cpu, Memory and all these kind of stuff while the other two were battling last weeks to get a pixel perfection picture boy and girl:

233317520_Picturescreen48Byteswide14_05.png.561d32ef9fd95a6ebf15707d484dcbae.png

And the other one? He's also ok and listen music while doing some more sound notes but he prefers to work alone.

?

?

Forgot to post that we have a doll on the Bonus screen (? and in-game also?

782067317_BonusandDollscreen_MISSILESonBonusnumbers_withArcadeflower_Newdoll07_04.png.d2a5776ce981154bb7040afc53e7d36e.png 295389000_BonusandDollscreen_MISSILESonDollnumbers_withArcadeflower_Newdoll07_04.png.2f0e942fa188be403b795ac91296e4dd.png

?

?

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 8

Wonderboy was a game I knew of but didn't play until I brought the Snes Super Adventure Island which is Very Wonderboy which I still love to this day especially for the reggae level tune, to be honest the snes was where I first started seeing stuff that looked and sounded how I thought they should, proper music, great graphics, just take the isane Plok......Just a treat for the eyes and ears..

Mind you, show me a game with music by the Follins that didn't sound sweet...

Edited by Mclaneinc
wrong game name cock up
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...