IGNORED

Is it safe to use AAs instead of Cs?

bluejay

I've been using AA batteries for my Tandy cassette recorder, just because AAs fit and Cs are expensive and I don't have any laying around. Now, I've got a Hanimex 777 pong clone console that requires 6 C batteries.

Anyways, is it okay to use AAs instead of Cs?

Correct, all standard alkaline batteries D, C, AA, AAA are 1.5VDC (nominal), but the larger the battery physically, the more mAh of current it has, thus the longer it will last.  The only potential problem you would see would be with re-chargable cells (NiCad, NiMh) as these are only 1.2VDC (nominal).  So if a device took 6 batteries...6 alkalines would provide 9VDC, whereas the rechargables would only provide 7.2VDC.  Depends how sensitive the device is, and how much power it really needs internally to whether or not it would work properly with rechargables or not. 

2 hours ago, Deteacher said:

I was in my local Rite Aid just yesterday, buying some C batteries and they have D size adapters so you can use AA batteries in devices that normally use D size batteries.  

Million dollar idea!  

I had those adapter shells back in the 70s and they were probably being sold long before that.  AA to D is next to worthless since most anything using D cells will be high current drain...the mAh difference is too great.

The C to D adapters were ok and I wish I could still find them, as someone gave me boxes and boxes of Duracell Procell C batteries made for medical equipment.     

Edited by Turbo-Torch
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Turbo-Torch said:

I had those adapter shells back in the 70s and they were probably being sold long before that.  AA to D is next to worthless since most anything using D cells will be high current drain...the mAh difference is too great.

The C to D adapters were ok and I wish I could still find them, as someone gave me boxes and boxes of Duracell Procell C batteries made for medical equipment.     

That's funny that they've been around since then.  I had never seen one until yesterday, and I was born in 1970.  LOL!  I knew about the trick to using AAA batteries where AA was required by using tin foil, though. ;)

Take it for what's it worth, but Wikipedia lists these as the typical mAh values for the following Alkaline battery sizes:

AAA - 1,200

AA - 2,700

C - 8,000

D - 12,000

Remember old "portable" boomboxes that use to take up to 12 D batteries for power.  The good old days.

• Like 2

Sanyo Eneloops, which were (and may well still be) considered the best rechargeable batteries, come with C and D cell adapters to hold their standard AA size batteries. I think they're just spacers, not doing anything with current. So as others have said, I think the answer is yes that's fine, and if you wanted to be more economical about it, I recommend these brand of batteries. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Sanyo Eneloops, which were (and may well still be) considered the best rechargeable batteries, come with C and D cell adapters to hold their standard AA size batteries. I think they're just spacers, not doing anything with current. So as others have said, I think the answer is yes that's fine, and if you wanted to be more economical about it, I recommend these brand of batteries. 

I got a set of those (AAs) to try and they work pretty well.  I would just note that I remember they have at least 2 different series of these batteries. I believe the white ones have a lower mAh rating, but are supposedly good for 1500+ charging cycles, but the black ones, while they have a higher mAh rating (made for high current draw digital cameras/flashes and the likes) are only rated for something like 500+ charging cycles.  So trade off between capacity and lifespan.  I chose the white ones for my purposes.  Pretty good deals of these can be found on Amazon.

• Like 2