IGNORED

HSC16 Round 24: Spy Hunter

therealbountybob

SPY HUNTER

image.png.14280705ef5611c868838c6609b21ff2.png

Getting the nod over Gumball is Spy Hunter, fun game, can use 2nd joystick for the weapons, sticking it under the Atari desk and usin a foot works for me! Play on Default skill (novice) [Esc] is pause/resume. You are invulnerable, well sort of. while the initial countdown timer is active.

Download: Spy Hunter

Info on Atarimania

Hints on Post #9

Thanks for playing this season everone, much appreciated, we've played a good selection of games and again found a few lesser known ones that are worth a play.

If anyone missed the last two rounds "Moon Patrol Redux" or "Christmas Bonus" you can still post scores there too.

This Round and Season 16 ends on Sunday 5th Jan 10pm UK time to give more time to get organised for Season 17 ;)

GAME ON

• Like 1

Ah! I rescued a bass drum pedal from a Rock Band drumset earlier this fall, with the intention to solder it to a DE9 and use as a foot pedal for e.g. Spy Hunter. Now I suddenly have the reason to go ahead with that simple project. Is that fire button on the second joystick you use?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

Ah! I rescued a bass drum pedal from a Rock Band drumset earlier this fall, with the intention to solder it to a DE9 and use as a foot pedal for e.g. Spy Hunter. Now I suddenly have the reason to go ahead with that simple project. Is that fire button on the second joystick you use?

I think it's button for one thing and move for another - might also be move dirs for both.

do it!

Just had a good session on Spy Hunter, yes 2nd stick seems to be fire to alternate the Oil Slick and the Smoke Screen, I put a Comp Pro Stick sideways onto my Quickshot and used left hand to use button on 2nd stick, worked well.

Can't remember if the game was too easy in the end, once you take it steadier, learn to dodge the copter mines, shoot the right enemies and minimise the water time you can make good progress!! I can't remember if it levels up to Expert Skill so next time I'll start on it and see how it compares.

97,600 :)

Bonus Challenge - number of icons on the status bar - cars or weaponry, I managed an impressive 8 ;)

1257810993_SpyHunter.jpg.0ba575cdd20d74c331e3ec8e60627899.jpg1534742977_BonusChallenge.jpg.0c707ed28ea97eb75b2b48e1ca3a050d.jpg

• Like 1

I found this from last time we played!

trbb:

Now then Spy Hunter Hints... hmm all I can say is (1) take it steady; the controls are awful at high speeds (2) make the most of the initial timer period as you are indestructable so go flat out here (3) when it says NO POINTS I think it means NO POINTS for the entire time the message is displayed; usually the score rolls up nicely - so be careful not to destroy the good guys! (4) go really steady on the ice and water (5) when the 'copter is on always dock if you don't have the missile (5a) you can outrun the 'copter if it is behind you (5b) lure it's bombs by waiting in line or keep moving side to side to prevent it bombing (5c) keep off the thin tracks when the 'copter is on (6) checkout the instructions on atarimania - link on 1st post - think there's extra points for going onto the water (7) extra car every 10K so keep an eye on your score and adjust your speed if you are down to your last one...

and if you think Novice is hard wait until you play on Expert :-o ...who would have thought I had so much to say ;-)

SIO2 said:

therealbountybob did a great job of listing out tips.

I don't have much to add to the list. Just a few thoughts.

Different players have different styles. Many styles can be successful. You just have to find the style that works for you. Try to think like a spy. Do you want to be full out, guns blazing all the time or more cautious and picking your targets. You could also concentrate on your driving and rarely use the guns.

That brings me to a point I wanted to mention. The helicopter is somewhat dangerous but, it tries to get out ahead of you and bomb your path. You can use that to turn it into a weapon if you get good at dodging the chuck holes and letting the enemy's following you hit them.

Also, I tend to stay away from the water. That is just my style.

Good luck and enjoy the game.

• Like 1

I know the weapons run out but I wonder if there is any benefit from re-docking all the time, no score for it :ponder: I kinda want to stay on the water section but it's just so difficult to steer unless you are crawling along.

SIO holds the HSC Spy Hunter record 211,570 (S10 R22) !!

first table

SPY HUNTER

1st   therealbountybob            97,600  12pts
  2nd   STARBUG                      65,770  11pts
  3rd   carlsson                        14,680  10pts

4th   RedThunder                   13,475  9pts
  5th   slx                                 6,720  8pts

Bonus Challenge: most icons on status bar!

trbb 8

Starbug 7

carlsson 5

Spy Hunter - 14680 pts (at most 4 weapons + 1 life on the status panel)

spy-hunter-14680.jpg.4c229ab59f7a2a66dc0ea77e4d7ade2c.jpg

I didn't yet solder up a foot pedal, so I'm using trbb's method and put an otherwise useless joystick on the floor, a Spectravideo Quickshot IV. It doesn't trigger fire as immediately as one would want to but somewhat decent for my purpose & how far I got into the game.

• Like 2

I decided to use the recommended foot joystick method, resulting in a slight improvement

It brought back memories of playing Dropzone as a kid, using my foot on the space bar for the smart bombs!

Had a go of expert, only managed 22k, and that was after 3 attempts

Still enjoying the novice level, will probably have a few more attempts, I feel like I've definitely a high score in me

Just need to summon the teenager within, I'm certain he had quicker reactions than his future self ?

20191230_201716.jpg

• Like 1

Hm, it strikes me that my PS2 dance mat + PSX64 interface could be useful here, if I'm standing on the mat but using a regular joystick for the controller and only move to put the foot on the fire button. Still a regular joystick or the pedal would have higher precision than aiming on the mat.

• Like 1

Knew I had it in me! ?

I actually felt confident of a much higher score, but I got hit exitting the water, and ended up losing 3 lives there. It's my own fault for going into the water so often, but you get nice bonus points for a quick in and out, it's just not always that easy to get out. My fault for being greedy I suppose! 

Anyway, I'm happy with that score (for now)

26 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Hm, it strikes me that my PS2 dance mat + PSX64 interface could be useful here, if I'm standing on the mat but using a regular joystick for the controller and only move to put the foot on the fire button. Still a regular joystick or the pedal would have higher precision than aiming on the mat.

I'm finding the big toe method (see pic, excuse the socks) is working well for me. I had got the second joystick on the table, holding the main controller close to it, and using my little finger for the fire button, but I was leaning a bit, my posture wasn't great, and wasn't really enjoying it as much. I'm much more comfortable and relaxed now.

Let us know how the mat works out for you, maybe standing up might give you an edge, get you into a proper arcade posture like the old days! ?

20191230_212120.jpg

20191230_211505.jpg

Edited by STARBUG
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Oh yes, I also have a Microsoft Sidewinder steering wheel for DB-15 gameport with a set of pedals that I could investigate if it can be adapted for Atari use. It got lots of buttons on the steering wheel for various extra weapons so it might end up like one super controller.

Sounds ideal, if you could make it work

I was actually playing a little bit of Pole Position today, and was thinking it would be superb if there was a steering wheel that would work with it. Like if you had varying degrees of left and right, rather than light tapping left and right on the controller trying to make the slight turns, though I'm not sure the games coding would allow for that even if there was a steering wheel that worked, I assume it would just be (binary?) left and right. I've just realised, anologue control is the thing that I was trying to describe, does anyone know if that's possible? 

I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to technical stuff. Is DB-15 The Atari/Megadrive port?

Edited by STARBUG

I managed 137k+, but the game spazzed out when I lost my last life. I went into the water but was killed by a blue car with the wheel spikes, which got bumped from to road into the water. I'm posting the screenshot below anyway, but the score is gone

I also got 9 icons in that game (4 weapons + 5 lives), but I used up a weapon before docking, so no screenshot. I did manage an 8 icon screenshot earlier, but don't need it now I suppose

I've played this game quite a lot today ?

20191231_225602.jpg

• Like 2

@Starbug

re analog controls for driving games  - the 8-bit's sister system the 5200 has a controller that is analog so it can be done using the paddle inputs but yes it would need coding up. The paddles output a range of numbers 0-255 vs the joystick digital moved or not for each direction.

I've been doubling up my slippers as a foot-rest with my big toe over the comp pro button, works well, and yes better posture as my neck was not good using the two on the desk, not improved my score you stupid but addictive game!!

The game is full of bugs and regularly locks up on the broken bridge (that crash noise always makes me jump) and at other times.

@McKong see the eariler posts for some great Spy info, they will self destruct (like my car on ice) after 5 seconds!

I've actually started on my abbuc game for next this year!

• Like 1

latest  table

SPY HUNTER

1st   STARBUG                        137,000  12pts
  2nd   therealbountybob            97,600  11pts
  3rd   McKong                         17,120  10pts
  4th   Sikor                              14,700  9pts
  5th   carlsson                          14,680  8pts
  6th   RedThunder                     13,475  7pts
  7th   devwebcl                          8,780  6pts
  8th   slx                                   6,720  5pts

SIO holds the HSC Spy Hunter record 211,570 (S10 R22) !!

Bonus Challenge: most icons on status bar!

Starbug 9

trbb 8

carlsson 5

Last two rounds catch-up

Moon Patrol Redux

devwebcl 37,800 6pts

Christmas Bonus Weihnachtsspiel and Animal Party

--

Reminder: Round ends  Sunday 5th Jan 10pm UK time ;)

• Like 2