IGNORED

Will ATgames release Flashback models(and more) for other Atari systems?

bluejay

I'm really starting to get tired of ATgames releasing Atari Flashbacks again and again, still improving on it. I think they should just download most/all documented Atari 2600 games on it, then add an SD and/or USB slot for further expansion. A cartridge slot if possible. Call it the Atari Flashback Ultimate. No more 2600 flashbacks.

Then they could make better controllers for Atari systems(Yes, I'm talking to you, Atari 5200!) that would improve on flawed original controllers.

And then, I think an Atari 5200 or 7800 flashback would be neat, or even an Atari 8-bit flashback with a little keyboard to type stuff on. They could even make a new(working) version of the Cosmos or the Mirai! They could make a Lynx Mini, so you don't have to carry a battery-sucking brick around to play Lynx games. Or better than anything, make an all-in-one handheld with a crapload of emulators that would play pretty much all games for all Atari systems, with different controller connectors for different systems.

Same with the Sega stuff. Make Flashbacks for other Sega models.

Why isn't ATgames doing this already? I know it would have a relatively small audience, but the whole point of you guys doing this is to get adults to relive their childhood by playing their favorite games as a kid. If other people are already building better Flashback systems on their own, I see no reason why a company won't be able to pull it off.

P.S. Don't forget to give me credit when this actually happens!

I agree. They could easily make a Flashback for another system. If nothing else they could re-release all the same games with better or different graphics. I'd love to pick up a flashback with 5200/7800/A8 games. I think the 2600 Flashback has run its course. How many more new models can they keep releasing?

27 minutes ago, fred said:

I agree. They could easily make a Flashback for another system. If nothing else they could re-release all the same games with better or different graphics. I'd love to pick up a flashback with 5200/7800/A8 games. I think the 2600 Flashback has run its course. How many more new models can they keep releasing?

As many as prove profitable to them. As is their right.

I can’t imagine that they’d want to go through the expense of creating a product that — and let’s be honest here — everyone would complain about and that no one would buy. I don’t want a (poorly) emulated 5200 that can’t be hacked to play demos or homebrews, or the Sentinel Edition 7800 flashback without backward 2600 compatibility...

If this were to be profitable (not just a neat thing that some of us would enjoy), I believe they would have done it already. Much of the best stuff is licensed from other companies. Atari's originals from the 2600 have been done to death as you point out. 

The Legends Flashback (just came out) is kinda interesting, has a bunch of arcade games, Disney (incl Star Wars) games, and Colecovision games. At heart it's just a ROM box, but they've done the legwork to get the licenses they could. 

Your best bet for what you want already exists in the form of a Raspberry Pi, maybe a cute case, and an SD card full of ROMs. Or a computer running Stella and Altirra. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Raspberry Pi is always an option, but I was wondering if making a great Raspberry Pi console with a bunch of great games for all sorts of systems, why the heck ATgames would not do make them, at least in limited quantites with a cheap case and controllers.

Edited by bluejay