IGNORED

Kompleks K-12 new game teaser

Philsan

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried to run this on Altirra (wine/Windows), Atari800MacX , U1MB 130XE, 800XE with 320Kb RAM expansion and the teaser loads the start music and then I get garbled lines and nothing further happens. (All PAL)

Only thing I'm lacking is a stereo Pokey on my real hardware. Tried to emulate Stereo Pokey on Altirra but no luck.
Anybody has been able to run this teaser on emulation or real hardware ?

Worked on Altirra, put it in stereo mode, it seems to prefer 320 Compy and then it works..

Just looked at the YT page and it does say Compy there..Odd I don't remember setting it to compy when I first looked at it....My proof my memory is rubbish :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Worked on Altirra, put it in stereo mode, it seems to prefer 320 Compy and then it works..

Just looked at the YT page and it does say Compy there..Odd I don't remember setting it to compy when I first looked at it....My proof my memory is rubbish :)

I had overlooked that part, indeed U1MB set to 576Kb Compy instead of 320Kb RAMBO got it running, thanks for that !

On 1/2/2020 at 11:54 AM, andymanone said:

Great found ??!

Remembers me a little bit of a mix of Orwell´s "1984" and the dystopia style "Crossroads" from the Band "Mind in a box"...

Gtx.,

andY

Crossroads_Poster_Night_small.jpg

I agree, also some of Inside, in a dark new world.

inside1.jpg

http://manillismo.blogspot.com/2020/01/kompleks-k-12.html

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2020 at 8:22 AM, emkay said:

Nice.

A Teaser for a machine that doesn't run on the real thing.

In Altirra 576K Compy for the RAM expansion and the Teaser is running. 

Call me old school, but I agree with you.  What's the point if it doesn't run on the real thing?

I never got the modern mod thing - I like my Atari as it was, as intended.  Sure, I modded mine then - so I'm a bit of a hypocrite, but stereo POKEY seems odd to me.

Nonetheless, I did get this to run on Atari800WinPlus, I'll double check the settings.

24 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

Call me old school, but I agree with you.  What's the point if it doesn't run on the real thing?

I never got the modern mod thing - I like my Atari as it was, as intended.  Sure, I modded mine then - so I'm a bit of a hypocrite, but stereo POKEY seems odd to me.

Nonetheless, I did get this to run on Atari800WinPlus, I'll double check the settings.

Come on now - we had memory upgrades and stereo PoKey in the mid 80s.  It's not like this is some modern 2020 frankenstein using obscure hardware.  I think people tend to forget, these machines were upgradable from 1979, and such upgrades were (believe it or not), both wanted and encouraged back in the day.  Why is it so verboten now when it never was 35 years ago?

• Like 1

Facts, the 800 was routinely upgraded to 52k/256k/ and 1 MEG... the 800 was already slightly stereo in that the gtia speaker and pokey were separate and some people ran the outputs to stereos at the time as left and right channels.

Gumby like mods were always swirling around and there were video card mods. So if you want to freeze yourself in time... 320k on up to 1meg are acceptable as is stereo...

I think a game or demo should work on mono machines no problem... as to memory... well since I have ALWAYS been in the 128-1Meg realm... I tend to think that 320k to 512k (576k) is not unreasonable today...

I always upgraded 800XL's and XE's to the more useful 256 and 320k as bare minimum...

The only time I had 48k or 52k was when 800's were given to me, and if they were given away before I had time to upgrade the thing it might escape with that shortcoming... but no normally..... This is why so many people get worried when they see all the bodge wires or 'weird' cards in their 800's... they were upgraded... which is exactly what they were designed to have done with them...

so I am in the same camp as stephen on this.... please consider that memory is also able to be dropped off the back of the computer as was the case with the 600xl's memory upgrades or the 1090 and other PBI/ECI based solutions... not unlike what is sold today in fact (just a way smaller form factor today)

So don't worry, go ahead and modify your machines, they were designed for it!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi!

Work on the game was suspended for a while, but the subject has returned

(to be more precise, the graphic designer has returned) and we have resumed work on the project.

For the past few weeks, dozens of new graphics have been created, we have completed the inventory of all locations

and all the ending paths. There is still a lot of work to do, but I am pleased to say that if, after almost three years I'm still excited about this project, it means it can work :)

I'll report back on how the progress is going. 

keep your fingers crossed

• Like 11

On 3/23/2020 at 6:06 PM, Stephen said:

Come on now - we had memory upgrades and stereo PoKey in the mid 80s.  It's not like this is some modern 2020 frankenstein using obscure hardware.  I think people tend to forget, these machines were upgradable from 1979, and such upgrades were (believe it or not), both wanted and encouraged back in the day.  Why is it so verboten now when it never was 35 years ago?

I've come around, and I agree - you are right...not sure why I felt so passionate about the "real" machine, when in fact we modded our machines then.  

Amazing what a few years will do - I'm sort of surprised I commented in this fashion! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bocianu said:

Hi!

(to be more precise, the graphic designer has returned) and we have resumed work on the project.

For the past few weeks, dozens of new graphics have been created, we have completed the inventory of all locations

and all the ending paths. There is still a lot of work to do, but I am pleased to say that if, after almost three years I'm still excited about this project, it means it can work :)

Good luck - that's awesome news!

1 hour ago, bocianu said:

Hi!

?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...