IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

My times for the week:

Arcade:

Gain Ground - 71 min.
Passing Shot - 80 min.

Atari 2600:
Assault - 71 min.
Stone Age - 10 min.

NES:
Back to the Future II & III - 14 min.
Crash ’n the Boys - 7 min.
DuckTales 2 - 5 min.
Gumshoe - 347 min.
Gyruss - 10 min.
Kid Icarus - 19 min.
Loopz - 40 min.
Puss ’n Boots: Pero’s Great Adventure - 24 min.
Spelunker - 130 min.

While recovering from (very minor) surgery, I beat Spelunker (the first loop, anyway), Puss 'n Boots, and Gumshoe. The latter made for one of the tougher challenges I've ever overcome in a video game.

Earlier in the week I also played a couple of arcade games, and made a run at getting to the kill screen in the overlooked VCS game Assault. I made it to Level 12 and the kill screen's at 13, so I'm close, but that twelfth level is brutal.

Otherwise I fished around for what to play after Gumshoe. I'd like to take on Gyruss, but it seems crash-prone on my EverDrive N8, so instead I've gone with Loopz for now.

• Like 5

It was another slightly slower than usual week for gaming around here this past week, but it still provided a nice distraction from all the chaos in the world as of late. I played a lot of old favorites, like Virtua Fighter on the 32X and the timeless Game Boy launch titles Tetris and Alleyway, along with trying out Crackpots for the first time for the Atari 2600 High Score Club. Crackpots ended up being a ton of fun and I'm definitely looking forward to logging some more time with it next week. 

Another gaming first for me this week was the Switch remastered HD port of the GameCube remake of Resident Evil! I always loved the GameCube original and the fresh coat of paint on the Switch port looks pretty nice, for the most part. All the characters and objects were remastered, but the cutscenes seem to have been left bizarrely untouched and actually look quite a bit worse on the Switch than they do on the GameCube when played on a CRT TV. Still, it's a good port for the most part and I've been really enjoying playing it again! 

Anyhoo, here's my household's times for the week:

Ineligible (All Nintendo Switch)

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 430 minutes

Resident Evil - 290 minutes

Atari 2600

Crackpots - 61 minutes

Game Boy

Alleyway - 69 minutes

Tetris - 26 minutes

Sega 32X

Virtua Fighter - 40 minutes

Sega Genesis

Wonder Boy in Monster World - 100 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,016 minutes (16 hours 56 minutes) [296 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week 

Nintendo Switch - 720 minutes

Sega Genesis - 100 minutes

Game Boy - 95 minutes

Atari 2600 - 61 minutes

Sega 32X - 40 minutes

• Like 5

Arcade:

Asteroids - 72 minutes

Cabal - 14 minutes

Missile Command - 91 minutes

Pac Man - 7 minutes

Soul Edge (Ver. 2) - 46 minutes

Tetris - 20 minutes

Xybots - 22 minutes

Atari 2600:

Demon Attack - 20 minutes

Midnight Magic - 35 minutes

Atari 7800:

Xevious - 11 minutes

PDP-11:

Super Star Trek - 20 minutes

VIC-20:

Omega Race - 46 minutes

Woohoo, variety!

Arcade stuff was all fun, mostly test time on everything but I did take some extra time with Asteroids/Missile Command and Soul Edge Ver. 2 is one of my own PCBs. Can't say I did too great at any of 'em, nothing really worth bragging about, but ah heck they're all fun to play.

The 7800 came out to do some Atari stuff. Xevious is the only 7800 cart I've found/I dislike the 7800 stick so I haven't had much reason to search for more 7800 games yet, it's mainly my 2600 nowadays, but maybe I'll get one of those adapted NES pads or an Eladdin controller/PCB to build with here someday.

PDP got time in mostly playing around with the old DECUS C compiler, it's relatively slow running on the 11/23 with no FPU and I think it was made for something higher-end, but I broke out SST and realized that I can't remember how to play that for jack/I haven't actually played it since I used my old Compucolor before it went on the shelf/I vaguely remember the manual being quite large meaning it's not a priority at the moment.

Finally I pulled the VIC out and fired up Omega Race. That Kraft stick I have which looks like a C64 is cool, I love playing stuff with that and it feels so nice, but aw man those VT100/3270/Apple II keyboard have me spoiled and the VIC feels like stale gummy bears which made me .

I finally ordered a serial card for my Apple II, about seven years of complaining about not having one later, so that's cool to me. Hope is if I can, in the 64K I have/with a Videx 80col card, emulate a VT52 or VT100 then maybe I could hook it to the PDP? The 'ol b-day shows up soon here too so I'll probably buy myself something fresh to play with, maybe expand the S-100 box out a bit with some new FPGA-based kit or look into a MiSTer.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, BurritoBeans said:

Arcade:

Xybots - 22 minutes

Xybots was one of my favorite arcade machines back in the day.  It rivaled Ms Pac Man for how many quarters I put in it.  My best friend and I used to play it together.  I have it on the Midway Arcade Treasures 2 for the OG Xbox and still play it sometimes.

• Like 2

I didn't play much in the way of classic this week...  if you follow the modern tracker you'll see why...  but I did play with my Flashback Portable during down time at work.  I'm guessing at the times below.

Asteroids - 10 min  (Just messing around with the default settings... you know... the one where you can play forever...)

Frogger - 10 min (This is split about evenly between the version that comes with the Flashback, which isn't the original 2600 version, and the actual 2600 version, which I have on the SD card.)

Tapper - 5 min (This is such a tough game after the first level.  I don't think I made it to the third.  But it's one of those things that will "probably" get better with practice.)

I also tried out several other games that I hadn't heard of that were on the SD card... but I don't remember what they were called.

• Like 4

On 6/7/2020 at 11:12 PM, Kurt_Woloch said:

I'm re-posting it now here on the classic tracker...

Partly it is my fault. I just noticed that someone (probably you) played Cosmic Do! already in 2011 and back then there was no Modern tracker so it was listed as a classic game. If I had made that lookup last week, it would have caused less confusion.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Eltigro said:

Frogger - 10 min (This is split about evenly between the version that comes with the Flashback, which isn't the original 2600 version, and the actual 2600 version, which I have on the SD card.)

I think I'll record this as 5 mins on Frogger (Atari 2600) and 5 mins on Frogger (Arcade). While the version on the Flashback & Flashback Portable might not the genuine arcade game, I don't know how to otherwise log it as it doesn't behave within the 2600 limitations and it would be silly to redirect it to the modern games tracker.

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 23, running from June 1 - 7. We logged 3086 minutes of eligible play, playing 49 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast) - 720 min.

2. Gumshoe (NES/Famicom) - 347 min.
3. Thundercats (Amiga) - 251 min.
4. Stampede (Atari 2600) - 227 min. (#1)
5. Spelunker (NES/Famicom) - 130 min.
6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 126 min.
7. Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis) - 100 min.
8. Missile Command (Arcade) - 91 min.
9. Crackpots (Atari 2600) - 86 min.
10. Passing Shot (Arcade) - 80 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Stampede (Atari 2600) - 227 min. (PN#1)
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 126 min. (PN#8)
3. Missile Command (Arcade) - 91 min.
4. Crackpots (Atari 2600) - 86 min.
5. Asteroids (Arcade) - 72 min.
6. Assault (Atari 2600) - 71 min.
7. Omega Race (VIC-20) - 46 min.
8. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 41 min. (PN#9)
9. Pac-Man Collection XM Enhanced (Atari 7800) - 40 min.
10. Midnight Magic (Atari 2600) - 35 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Dreamcast (720)

2. Atari 2600 (653) (#2)
3. NES/Famicom (596) (#1)
4. Arcade (428) (#6)
5. Amiga (251)
6. Genesis (100)
7. Game Boy (95) (#8)
8. Atari 7800 (51) (#4)
8. Atari 8-bit (51) (#10)
10. VIC-20 (46)

After almost 6 hours of Zapper action, Gumshoe takes the title this week with Thundercats in second place. Last week's winner Stampede holds onto 3rd place and retains the pre-NES title. On the systems list, the 2600 and NES shift places with arcade games in a strong third. No new entries to the 1000 Minute Club etc.

EDIT!

It came to my attention that the Dreamcast game Skies of Arcadia was played for 720 min, but logged into the modern tracker (which kind of makes sense since it technically belongs to the same generation as Gamecube, Xbox, PS2 but Sega were a couple of years ahead of time and accidentally produced a games console which was considered to be retro within 8 years after it was released). Thus the above ratings are adjusted.

Happy gaming!

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ATARI 2600:

Crackpots (for HSC) - 50 minutes

Dolphin (for HSC) - 30 minutes

Megamania - 20 minutes

Squish 'Em - 46 minutes

Stampede - 22 minutes

Stargate - 10 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Baby Pac-Man [homebrew] (for HSC) - 35 minutes

Pac-Man Collection - 45 minutes

Pac-Man Collection XM Enhanced - 95 minutes

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (June 8th through 14th)...

Amiga 500:

Thundercats - 154 min. in 8 sessions.

This week I got a bit better at Thundercats. I now often beat the 4th stage and then lose all my lives at the next one.

Other than that I'm trying to figure out how to get as many games as possible into my gaming schedule.

• Like 4

My times for the week:

CoCo 1/2:
Downland - 53 min.

NES:
Marble Madness - 20 min.
SkyKid - 20 min.

Atari Jaguar:
Cybermorph - 763 min.

Started out the week by beating Marble Madness, but I needed a change of pace after spending a lot of time on the NES over the past few months.

So, first I beat the old CoCo game Downland, which I'd been meaning to do for ages; and second, I decided to take on Cybermorph, and completed the first 4 of the game's 5 levels. Not a bad little game, despite its reputation.

• Like 4

I wasn't expecting my household to have much gaming time to contribute this week, on account of having a friend visiting and staying with us since last Tuesday, but he ended up bringing along his Nintendo Switch so we actually did quite a bit of gaming together! At first we just played a bunch of Animal Crossing, checking out each other's islands and trading stuff, then after he went to bed I got in an hour or so of Resident Evil on my Switch every night. Halfway through the trip though I introduced him to New Super Lucky's Tale, which he absolutely adored and played every day until he finally beat it last night. We also played a ton of Monopoly on the Switch, which was on sale for $10 on the Switch eShop this week so we both purchased and downloaded it on our respective systems and played a game or two together every night for the past few nights. Even the misses got in on the fun and played a couple games of Monopoly with us, and it ended up being a great time for everyone and well worth the $10 price of admission. 

Lastly, since so many games were on sale on the eShop this past week I also downloaded the Castlevania Anniversary Collection on my Switch and put a little time into the original Castlevania, but I think I'll be moving on to either the new English language localization of Kid Dracula included in the collection or just playing through Super Castlevania IV once I finish up my game of Resident Evil. That's all for this week though! :)

Ineligible (All Nintendo Switch)

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 205 minutes

New Super Lucky's Tale - 590 minutes

Monopoly - 335 minutes

Resident Evil - 350 minutes

NES

Castlevania (Played on Castlevania Anniversary Collection for Nintendo Switch) - 25 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,505 minutes (25 hours 5 minutes) [25 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,480 minutes

NES: 25 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 3

Apple II

Sabotage - 156 minutes

Just one game.

Always loved Sabotage, first non-Sierra game I got shown on the Apple when I was given it by family and the best paddle game I own. It's a bit rough to play at times due to the Monitor /// ghosting like mad and my paddles definitely need cleaning yet it stays being tons of fun.

I got my serial card in, a CCS 7710 (I wouldn't put a nice SSC in a II+ because half the software I see taking advantage of the SSC won't run anyways due to not having a 65C02) which the seller had also bundled with a 7720 Parallel card (having RAM instead of ROMs but notably sharing the same driver as the 7710) and a homemade clone of the ALF MC1, which was all of $16 and some change on eBay. Loaded up ADTPro and it turns out whenever I use the generic Serial driver made for the 7710 it just goes to a black screen so I guess that was a bust, the serial does work amazingly for a VT52 emulator to my PDP-8 though and the thread about using the A2 as a VT100 emulator has me interested as maybe I could interface it to the 11/23+, so I just went back to loading stuff over audio for now.

Depending on how the day goes I may go grab a new game, I saw the shop has Wolf3D for the Jaguar which I heard was quite good and has some unique bits to it, and I'll definitely be trying to load more random Apple bits. I want to find more games that use these paddles, they're a fair bit fun, but I just don't know many titles that aren't RPGs or text adventures so that'll take some time.

• Like 3