IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

Here's the summary for Week 27, running from June 29 - July 5. We logged 3221 minutes of eligible play, playing 49 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast) - 480 min. (#1)
2. Knight Lore (Sinclair ZX Spectrum) - 281 min.
3. Ufouria: The Saga (NES/Famicom) - 189 min.
4. Bionic Commando (NES/Famicom) - 185 min.
5. Renegade (NES/Famicom) - 167 min. (#2)
6. Turmoil (Atari 2600) - 150 min.
7. Frogs & Flies (Atari 2600) - 143 min.
8. Cybernoid (NES/Famicom) - 127 min.
9. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 118 min. (#7)
10. Kool-Aid Man (Atari 2600) - 108 min. (#10)

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Knight Lore (Sinclair ZX Spectrum) - 281 min.
2. Turmoil (Atari 2600) - 150 min.
3. Frogs & Flies (Atari 2600) - 143 min.
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 118 min. (PN#2)
5. Kool-Aid Man (Atari 2600) - 108 min. (PN#5)
6. Picnic (Atari 2600) - 107 min. (PN#6)
7. Activision Checkers (Atari 2600) - 106 min.
8. Missile Command TB (Atari 2600) - 68 min.
9. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 51 min.
10. Road Runner (Atari 2600) - 47 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1336) (#3)
2. NES/Famicom (786) (#1)
3. Dreamcast (480) (#2)
4. Sinclair ZX Spectrum (281) (#7)
5. Genesis (137) (#4)
6. Intellivision (62)
7. Arcade (52) (#8)
8. Atari 8-bit (28) (#5)
9. SNES (25)
10. C64 (19)

Another 8 hours from Skies of Arcadia secures the title for this JRPG, with the ZX Spectrum action-adventure Knight Lore in a strong second place, which also is enough to take the pre-NES title. Systems wise, the Atari 2600 is not quite LEET this week but at least takes the title with 1336 minutes... LEEG perhaps?

No new entries to the 1000 Minute Club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Atari 8-bit:
Orc Attack - 13 min.
Quasimodo - 21 min.

Yes, another week of no gaming until Sunday evening when I had another go at the current HSC round. Neither is a favorite game of mine, which perhaps explains why I don't invest more of my spare time playing games in the middle of the week.

• Like 3

ATARI 2600:

Asterix - 25 minutes

Cakewalk - 10 minutes

Dancing Plate - 7 minutes

Deadly Duck - 26 minutes

Eggomania - 20 minutes

Music Machine - 11 minutes

Parachute - 15 minutes

Pooyan - 47 minutes

River Raid (for HSC) - 36 minutes

Space Cavern - 25 minutes

Squish 'Em - 92 minutes

Turmoil - 15 minutes

Zaxxon - 5 minutes

For infos about the game Parachute, see this Atarimania page

ATARI 7800:

Pac-Man Collection - 43 minutes

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK: My new score on Squish 'Em, played on my 7800 console just for fun - 125,460 points

20200710_211819.thumb.jpg.c3b15bf9e1b63d4d73186fdb1e5dd78f.jpg

• Like 4

My times for the week:

NES:

Bucky O’Hare - 187 min.
Castle of Dragon - 68 min.

Rescue: The Embassy Mission - 214 min.
Ultimate Stuntman - 6 min.

Beat Castle of Dragon, Rescue: The Embassy Mission (withathe best ending on the hardest mission & highest difficulty), and Bucky O'Hare. Three entries from my "beaten with savestates in the past" list, all beaten legitimately. The list is shrinking!

• Like 4

There was a little less time logged in my household this week than last week, but the overall theme was about the same: A couple Switch games and a nice assortment of Atari 2600 titles. This week I finally finished Duke Nukem 3D on the Switch, though I may play through it again in the not too distant future since I know I missed a bunch of secret levels, then spent the rest of the week playing Atari. Every game on the 2600 that I played in this week the misses joined in on and played too, and it was a lot of fun all around with a bunch of new household high score records set in Missile Command, River Raid, and Space Rocks to boot. All in all, a solid week for gaming! :)

Ineligible (All Nintendo Switch)

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 400 minutes

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - 265 minutes

Atari 2600

Adventure - 30 minutes

Breakout - 41 minutes

Dungeon - 54 minutes

Missile Command - 16 minutes

Missile Command Trak-Ball - 27 minutes

New Pac-Man (8k Version) - 41 minutes

River Raid - 213 minutes

Space Rocks - 40 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,127 minutes (18 hours 47 minutes) [462 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 665 minutes

Atari 2600: 462 minutes

• Like 3

Atari 2600 

Space Invaders 6 

Atari 7800 

Alien Brigade 6 

Asteroids 8 

This week, I replaced the voltage regulator on my AV modded 7800 with a DC/DC converter, but it didn't work quite right, so I need to try a different part.  Times above are me testing the console when I actually did get it working for a few rounds of each game.

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 28, running from July 6 - 12. We logged 1870 minutes of eligible play, playing 40 games on a total of 5 systems.

Top 10:

1. River Raid (Atari 2600) - 249 min.
2. Rescue: The Embassy Mission (NES/Famicom) - 214 min.
3. Bucky O'Hare (NES/Famicom) - 187 min.
4. Squish 'Em (Atari 2600) - 92 min.
5. Ice Climber (NES/Famicom) - 85 min.
5. Military Madness (TG-16/PC Engine) - 85 min.
7. Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600) - 77 min.
8. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 75 min.
9. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 70 min. (#9)
10. Castle of Dragon (NES/Famicom) - 68 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. River Raid (Atari 2600) - 249 min.
2. Squish 'Em (Atari 2600) - 92 min.
3. Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600) - 77 min.
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 75 min.
5. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 70 min. (PN#4)
6. Dungeon! (Atari 2600) - 54 min.
7. Pooyan (Atari 2600) - 47 min.
8. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 43 min.
9. Breakout (Atari 2600) - 41 min.
9. Pac-Man (DINTAR816 8K version) (Atari 2600) - 41 min.

Top 5 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1093) (#1)
2. NES/Famicom (560) (#2)
3. TG-16/PC Engine (126)
4. Atari 7800 (57)
5. Atari 8-bit (34) (#8)

The summer is in full swing, which means the numbers are going down. It doesn't prevent River Raid from becoming the #1 both overall and on pre-NES. On the overall list, Rescue: The Embassy Mission is a strong second which has all-time stat of 289 min of which 214 this week. On the reduced systems list, the Atari 2600 takes the title with 58% of the total minutes.

Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600) becomes member #412 in the 1000 Minute Club with a total of 1071 minutes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Atari 2600:
Bowling - 5 min.

Atari 8-bit:
Orc Attack - 17 min.
Quasimodo - 15 min.

PC DOS:
Castle of Dr. Brain - 4 min.
Prince of Persia - 10 min.
Stunts / 4D Sports - 15 min.

Sega SG-1000:
Exerion - 4 min.
Lode Runner - 2 min.
Safari Race - 8 min.
Sega Flipper - 3 min.

Super Cassette Vision:
Lupin III - 20 min.
Miner 2049er - 12 min.
Wheelie Racer - 49 min.

So a bit of everything. The A8 of course was a last attempt in the HSC. Then I played some Bowling of the AFP before bedtime. In the weekend after a much needed day trip on the sea, I got motivated to bring out some of the other systems so I played some on my FleaFPGA (PC DOS). Then I powered on the SC-3000 (SG-1000) and found that with the exception for Safari Race, the cartridges I own for this system must be the bottom of the crap that Sega published (sorry, all fans of Lode Runner that I consider your game to be crap). Finally I played the Epoch Super Cassette Vision which is only one year newer than the SG-1000, has lower resolution, more simple sound and apparently fewer bigger names to make games for it, but damn me if the SCV games on average are not more fun to play than the SG-1000 ones, at least out of those I own.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (July 13th through 19th)...

Commodore 64:

Legend of the Amazon Women - 65 min.

This week I only played one game, in one session, Legend of the Amazon Women. I didn't manage to complete it this time though I've done so before. I think I made it about halfway through the game this time. In this game, it's more important to avoid the arrows than the enemy's punches because the arrows cost you more hit points. Also, you get far more points if the enemy gets hit by an arrow than if it gets hit by you, and 200,000 points give you an extra life.

• Like 4

My times for the week:

NES:
Journey to Silius - 161 min.
Kid Kool - 37 min.
Wagyan Land - 827 min.

Genesis:
Earnest Evans - 123 min.
M1 Abrams Battle Tank - 55 min.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms III - 10 min.

First, I beat Journey to Silius and Earnest Evans. Then I decided to fire up Wagyan Land, a simple platformer I'd messed around with about 20 years ago, early in my emulation days.

Back in 2000-ish, I'd enjoyed the game until I ran into a language barrier: the second boss wanted to play a timed tile-matching game based on shiritori, in which you supply a noun whose first kana is the last kana of the previous player's noun. Without Japanese language skills, no can do -- but now, with a fan translation in hand, I thought it'd be a kind of light refreshment and expected a quick, easy win.

Well, 99% of the game is quick and easy, and I made it to the final boss in about 90 minutes. However, the final boss also plays shiritori, and adds a horrible new condition: not only do you have to win, you have to keep him from losing until you accumulate a certain number of points.  It's like playing tandem solitaire with a partner who's trying to screw you over at every turn.

Maybe it's OK in Japanese, but the fan translator either didn't supply enough synonyms for certain tiles (you use tiles to pick words), or just needed to replace some of them, as there aren't nearly enough words that start with E on the board to make up for all the English nouns that end with E. Plus there are typos in the translation, e.g. "Ramb" for "Ram"; tiles whose identity is ambiguous or unclear, like a "Racket" that looks more like a wooden spoon (and can also be a Ladle, but not a spoon); and some non-obvious synonyms, like WhiteBear for PolarBear, while other obvious synonyms like "feline" for Cat don't work. The difficulty spike is positively ridiculous.

I spent over 10 hours systematically trying every letter with every tile -- mercifully, while watching TV or listening to music in the background -- until I got a list of all the synonyms I could find (no luck finding anything for Lighthouse, Safe, or Telescope, though). Then I just replayed the final boss battle until I miraculously found a win. This was done with the aid of savestates, though the game has infinite continues and no real penalty for dying beyond having to replay a short, easy segue into the boss battle. I've avoided using savestates for the past decade, but given that the issue here is very likely an artifact of an imperfect fan translation, I think my conscience is clear.

Finally, I played some more Genesis. I gave up after my usual 10 minutes when trying to play a Koei game solo, but I did manage to stick with M-1 Abrams Battle Tank long enough to clear the first mission on the lowest difficulty.

• Like 5

A pretty typical week for gaming around here this past week without a whole lot to report on. I just continued my usual routine in Animal Crossing, played a bit of Atari 2600 for the High Score Club, then—not being sure exactly what to play—decided to do a run through of Doom 3 on the Switch since it's one of those games I try to play once a year every year. For the spousal unit's gaming time she just played a little River Raid with me then put a bit more time into Wonder Boy in Monster World on the Genesis, which I think she's just about to the end of at this point. 

That's all for this week! Thank you as always to Carlsson for continuing to run the trackers, your weekly time and effort keeping this little corner of the community running is always appreciated! :)

Ineligible (All Nintendo Switch)

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 535 minutes

Doom 3 - 295 minutes

Atari 2600

Death Trap - 241 minutes

River Raid - 51 minutes

Sega Genesis

Wonder Boy in Monster World - 80 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,202 minutes (20 hours 2 minutes) [372 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 830 minutes

Atari 2600: 292 minutes

Sega Genesis: 80 minutes

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 29, running from July 13 - 19. We logged 2462 minutes of eligible play, playing 30 games on a total of 9 systems.

Top 10:

1. Wagyan Land (NES/Famicom) - 827 min.
2. Death Trap (Atari 2600) - 338 min.
3. River Raid (Atari 2600) - 208 min. (#1)
4. Journey to Silius (NES/Famicom) - 161 min.
5. Earnest Evans (Genesis) - 123 min.
6. Freeway (Atari 2600) - 86 min.
7. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 85 min. (#8)
8. Wonder Boy in Monster World (Genesis) - 80 min.
9. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 71 min. (#9)
10. Legend of the Amazon Women (C64) - 65 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Death Trap (Atari 2600) - 338 min.
2. River Raid (Atari 2600) - 208 min. (PN#1)
3. Freeway (Atari 2600) - 86 min.
4. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 85 min. (PN#4)
5. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 71 min. (PN#5)
6. Legend of the Amazon Women (C64) - 65 min.
7. Squish 'Em (Atari 2600) - 60 min. (PN#2)
8. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 59 min.
9. Wheelie Racer (Epoch Super Cassette Vision) - 49 min.
10. Jetpac (Sinclair ZX Spectrum) - 20 min.
10. Lupin III (Epoch Super Cassette Vision) - 20 min.

Top 9 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (1025) (#2)
2. Atari 2600 (925) (#1)
3. Genesis (268)
4. Epoch Super Cassette Vision (81)
5. C64 (65)
6. Atari 8-bit (32) (#5)
7. PC (DOS) (29)
8. Sinclair ZX Spectrum (20)
9. SG-1000 (17)

The fan-translated version of Wagyan Land (Wikipedia spells it Wagan Land?) takes the overall title by a good margin of 8 hours ahead of Death Trap, which instead becomes the most played pre-NES game. On the systems list, the NES and Atari 2600 switch places in a tight race, 100 minutes apart.

Death Trap (Atari 2600) becomes member #413 in the 1000 Minute Club with a total of 1028 minutes of which almost 1/3 were entered this week. Those HSCs really can influence the overall standings!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Atari 8-bit:
Captain Beeble - 51 min.
Jetboy - 18 min.

C64:
Gyruss - 5 min.
Hyper Sports - 3 min.
Track & Field - 4 min.

MSX1:
Galaga - 9 min.
Litterbox - 17 min.
QBIQS - 5 min.
Triton - 13 min.

PC DOS:
Mario & Luigi - 4 min.
Stunts / 4D Sports - 7 min.
Summer Challenge - 64 min.

Super Cassette Vision:
Comic Circus - 5 min.

At the beginning of this week, I got news about the current edition of MSXdev. In particular I was interested in RELEVO's Snowboarding, but after a few days worth found that it wouldn't boot on my VG-8235, despite other ROM files at the same size loaded OK. So I played some other games, of which QBIQS is a very nice Quarth clone from a previous edition, Litterbox is a Pac-Man like game written in BASIC and Triton is a story based Nemesis game.

Then I played a little in the current A8 HSC round - Captain Beeble and Jetboy (which itself is a clone of Ultimate's Jet Pac). Last Friday a friend of mine had a sausage party where we played some retro games. The C64 games were played on his THEC64 full size edition, then I brought my Super Cassette Vision plus my FleaFPGA with Next 186 core where I spent most time playing Summer Challenge by Accolade. It is not very easy to find DOS games that work on this core, mainly those supporting MCGA or certain VGA modes so I'm delighted every time I find a "new" one that is playable.

• Like 2

Here are my times for this week (July 20th through 26th) on classic systems:

Arcade:

Joust - 42 min. in 2 sessions

Tetris (Atari Games) - 22 min.

The end - 35 min.

Atari 2600:

Joust - 10 min.

Millipede - 141 min.

The end - 19 min.

Commodore 64:

Jack Attack - 11 min.

Joust - 23 min.

Legend of the Amazon women - 54 min.

This week, there are multiple games I've played on multiple systems. I continued to play "Amazon women" on the C-64 and made it through the jungle (to the end of the game). Then I tried "Jack Attack" which I've seen in a Youtube video, and it's quite amusing, but not very deep.

Then I learned that an Atari 2600 version of "The end" has been coded, so I tried that (which is quite good) and then the arcade original. While I've made it through 5 stages easily on the Atari 2600 version (after which the already built part of the "The end" banner disappears), I only made it to the 2nd stage in the arcade version due to the aliens being much quicker in building the banner.

Then I replayed the arcade version of Tetris. I think there I've reached about all there is to see. On this game Atari Games went with pretty lowly specs... an 6502 processor and POKEY sound in 1987 when other games already used 16-bit processors and FM sound. At least they coded the main game in Assembler, unlike the C-64 version by Mirrorsoft which is in fact compiled BASIC.

Speaking of the C-64, there lies the real sensation of this week... the long lost Atarisoft C-64 conversion of Joust has finally surfaced! It's a pretty good conversion, but the sound is pretty awful... I suppose they weren't finished with it yet. They just took the Atari 800 version (even without the programmer's consent!) and rewrote it for the C-64. But the SID has clearly different specs than the POKEY, yet peaking in the code, it seems like the sounds have only been half-heartedly converted and don't sound correct at all. But judging from the posts on the Games that weren't 64 site where this has been released, some people seem to have (or have had) a better version with better sound, though that one hasn't surfaced yet. Alternatively, I considered hacking the game myself. To that end, I'm currently examining how the sound works both in this and the arcade version.

I then also tried the original arcade and the 2600 version, and after that I played some Millipede on the Atari 2600. That is, I played until I surpassed the 300,000 point mark, which took over 2 hours. There are ways you can play to facilitate reaching this mark, for instance, on the first screen after a restart there's a great number of spiders, so you should end that screen as quickly as possible, which you can do by shooting the highest DDT box available on screen so that it will annihilate all of the Millipede as it passes by.

• Like 3