IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

2 hours ago, cvga said:

I had forgotten about that. She really enjoyed Seawolf but just moved and fired like crazy. I remember her playing one incredibly long game and getting an unheard of score while I was working on something and not really paying attention. Turns out she died twice with only one ship left which rolled the counter backwards to the maximum number of ships instead of zero. Fun times. She's 21 and a senior in college now. Time flies.

Now THAT is the type of story to show up for.  Brilliant!  You just made my day, week, year!

• Like 3

On 10/20/2020 at 11:58 AM, agb said:

It is really hard to play any paddle games on the ps2.  I think you really need an original atari 2600 with good working paddles.  Unfortunately, my paddles need some work.  One of the wires is lose.  I now do two player games only scoring on player two.

One of these days maybe I'll get an atari 2600, most of the stuff I play is through emulation though. Maybe I can find a replica paddle controller to play with the PC one day.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:54 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

lol yeah, I think you might have...

It's a great game. I really just like to play the first few levels or so if I'm waiting for something to happen, so I usually don't actually beat the game when I play it. I did a few months ago, though. Sometimes I play the Japanese version, Vampire Killer, instead for some reason. Vampire Killer is easier and has the difficulty that the devs likely intended instead of the US version, which has increased difficulty for some reason, but I suppose you could just consider the game to have 6 different difficulty settings.

Funny that happens to me for the most part with Castlevania games. I usually play through the first few levels for about 10 minutes or so. Although over the past year I did finish the original Castlevania for the NES for like the 5th time in my life, and also Castlevania 64 which I really enjoyed playing over about a months time with save states. I really enjoyed Castlevania 64, if you haven't played it you might want to give it a shot.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 2

ATARI 2600:

Picnic (for HSC) - 30 minutes

Space Invaders - 35 minutes

Squish 'Em - 57 minutes

Picnic is the current game which I'm playing for the NEW HSC Season 10 Gold Medal Tournament, Round 1. I finished this season on the 2nd place.

ATARI 7800:

Dungeon Stalker (for HSC) - 22 minutes

Pac-Man Collection - 6 minutes

• Like 4

Managed to get some decent time in with the Neo Geo despite still being very busy this week once again. Should get back to normal soon. There are a few estimates here; I went to the arcade today and lost track of my times for everything but Cotton 2 while I was there. Sadness.

Neo Geo AES/MVS
Blazing Star - 7 (estimate)
Garou Densetsu - 52
Garou: Mark of the Wolves - 45
The King of Fighters '98 - 60
Metal Slug X - 12 (estimate)
Neo Turf Masters - 58
Real Bout Garou Densetsu - 14
Samurai Spirits - 9
Twinkle Star Sprites - 46

PC Engine
Cotton - 1

Yes, one minute.

X68000
Cotton - 12

I GOT TO PLAY A REAL X68000! You have no idea how happy I am!

Arcade
Cotton 2 - 5
Splatterhouse - 3 (estimate)

• Like 4

My times for the week...

I was trying to do some of my one life per game streams like I've done with NES, but my wifi went out so I just quit for the day or this would have been a longer list.

TurboGrafx-16

1943: Kai - 7 min 

Aero Blasters - 2 min

After Burner II - 2 min

Air Zonk - 3 min

Alien Crush - 5 min

Andre Panza Kickboxing - 4 min

Aoi Blink/Blue Blink - 9 min (Thought I had the translated rom, but apparently didn't.  Had no idea what was going on.)

Atomic Robokid - 4 min (Even at 4 min, I think this was the furthest I had ever played this one.)

Ballistix - 19 min (I was happy when this one was over.  Played until I lost a game on the 1player only mode.  1 player vs CPU would have gone faster I think.)

Barunba - 4 min

Batman - 2 min

Battle Lode Runner - 2 min

Battle Royale - 4 min (This one was actually lost before I knew it.  Had no idea what was going on or what the objective was.  I was thrown out of the ring early and got to watch the CPU players finish the match.)

Blazing Lazers - 9 min (This one would have been played longer, but it was during this game that the wifi went out so I stopped early.)

NES

Castlevania - 10 min  (Was doing really well and was almost to Death with the holy water for the first time ever on real hardware when something dropped a stopwatch and I accidentally picked it up.  Just turned off the game at that point.)

Contra - 2 min 

Mario Bros - 5 min

Atari 2600

Donkey Kong - 5 min

Demon Attack - 5 min

Moon Patrol - 2 min

Draconian - 10 min

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Eltigro said:

Castlevania - 10 min  (Was doing really well and was almost to Death with the holy water for the first time ever on real hardware when something dropped a stopwatch and I accidentally picked it up.  Just turned off the game at that point.)

It's been a while, but I think there's a cross that you can find before him. I didn't know about the holy water until after I'd already beaten him easily with the cross. Cross should also make the hallway before him much easier than with holy water as well, especially since I think there's a guaranteed II somewhere around there (I may be wrong... it HAS been a while...) and you'll probably have the III by the time you make it to him.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

It's been a while, but I think there's a cross that you can find before him. I didn't know about the holy water until after I'd already beaten him easily with the cross. Cross should also make the hallway before him much easier than with holy water as well, especially since I think there's a guaranteed II somewhere around there (I may be wrong... it HAS been a while...) and you'll probably have the III by the time you make it to him.

Yeah, the only time I've ever beaten him on real hardware was with the cross.  I can never get to him with the holy water as I always ended up dying first.  The candle with the cross was just below where I quit.  There's a room with some fireball dragon statues and red skeletons before the final hallway to the Reaper.  I was going up the stairs, killed the dragon skull thing at the top of the stairs and it dropped the stopwatch.  I was in such a hurry to get up the stairs so I could turn around and hit the skeleton that I didn't notice until it was too late.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Eltigro said:

Yeah, the only time I've ever beaten him on real hardware was with the cross.  I can never get to him with the holy water as I always ended up dying first.  The candle with the cross was just below where I quit.  There's a room with some fireball dragon statues and red skeletons before the final hallway to the Reaper.  I was going up the stairs, killed the dragon skull thing at the top of the stairs and it dropped the stopwatch.  I was in such a hurry to get up the stairs so I could turn around and hit the skeleton that I didn't notice until it was too late.  

I'd say the hardest boss in the game is actually Frankenstein's monster. I can beat any boss in the game with ease except him. I've only ever beaten him with the holy water. You know those hunchbacks that get delivered by birds right before that point when you're outside after climbing up out of the sewer or whatever it is supposed to be? Yeah, those hunchbacks drop the axe sometimes. If I pick up the axe by mistake, I turn the game off instantly.

• Like 3

ST:

Plundered Hearts Struggling with the parser in Plundered Hearts, 45 minutes

THE DOOR IS BLOCKED BY A LARGE CUPBOARD. YOU CAN PROBABLY SQUEEZE PAST IT.

-Squeeze past cupboard

-I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS

-Shoot cupboard

-AND HOW DO YOU PROPOSE TO DO THAT?

-Kill cupboard

-MAMA WOULD NOT APPROVE.

Ugh. :D

• Like 4

A2600

Circus Atari 88

Drive 70

Encounter at L-5 10

Guardian 21

Kaboom! 319 (high score this week 21,948)

Kaboom!9 7

Kaboom! Deluxe 15

Sadoom! 10

Sadoom!+ 80

Secret Agent 44

Super Breakout 85

Tac-Scan 43  (high score 252,100)

A7800

Crazy Brix 22

Paddles!  I played a bunch of paddle games this week.  Drive is a homebrew that features the twitchy-racey kind of action I really like.  That one is going in my regular paddle game rotation, and I may even order a cart of it from the AA store.  Kaboom!9, Sadoom! and Sadoom!+ are hacks that essentially give you harder versions of Kaboom to play.  The best one of the group is Sadoom!+ which starts you on level 7 and lets you continue up past level 8 to 9, 10, 11, etc (if you can get there).  Secret Agent is an unreleased game from Data Age that is sort of a combo of Kaboom gameplay and Music Machine.  I wouldn't call it a great game, but I was pleasantly surprised.  They also made a neat little attempt at composing a rip-off of the James Bond theme which was enjoyable.

• Like 5

I only played one game this week, but it was a good one.

Famicom

Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti            - 25 Minutes      This is a really fun game that is kind of like a cartoonish version of the Splatterhouse series. I think I first saw Splatterhouse on the TurboGrafx when I was a kid, and it always reminded me of Friday the 13th because the main character resembles Jason Voorhees. This is a beat em up game in a class of its own, because it has so many 70's and 80's horror movie references. The first boss does a Michael Jackson thriller dance with zombies, while the second boss is the girl from the Exorcist. This game is a classic and I would recommend it to anyone.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, wongojack said:

Kaboom! 319 (high score this week 21,948)

Kaboom!9 7

Kaboom! Deluxe 15

Sadoom! 10

Sadoom!+ 80

Very good with the high score of 21,948. I had not clue there were so many versions of this game to play. It's hard to imagine a more difficult version of this game.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 4

Only a couple games played around here this past week, but I finally finished the BTSX Episode 2 add-on for Doom II! It was hard as all get out and I don't think I'd ever want to play through it again, but I do feel accomplished having finally finished it. I also got in a little Atari 2600 time for the first round of the HSC's end of season gold medal bracket competition. I'm facing ZilchSr in the very first round though, and if I recall he's won the whole shebang the past two years in a row, so I'm not entirely hopeful about my chances but I'll still play my very best! :)

Ineligible

Doom II: BTSX Episode 2 (Nintendo Switch) - 465 minutes

Atari 2600

City Defence - 48 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

513 minutes (8 hours 33 minutes) [48 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 465 minutes

Atari 2600: 48 minutes

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Doom II: BTSX Episode 2

Seems like you like to play the Doom games.I did like the Nintendo 64 version of Doom, I was just never really to good at it. One game I will always remember from a long time ago, that had doom like elements, was Rise of The Triad and I used to really like that game.

14 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

Solar Fox - 173 minutes

I just saw a video on youtube, and this looks like an interesting game. I need to try this out one day.

On 10/26/2020 at 12:14 AM, davidcalgary29 said:

THE DOOR IS BLOCKED BY A LARGE CUPBOARD. YOU CAN PROBABLY SQUEEZE PAST IT.

-Squeeze past cupboard

-I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS

-Shoot cupboard

-AND HOW DO YOU PROPOSE TO DO THAT?

-Kill cupboard

-MAMA WOULD NOT APPROVE.

That is funny. Was that actual text in the game? I just recently got back into reading books this year, and these text games look appealing.

On 10/25/2020 at 7:35 PM, agb said:

Cosmic Creeps 126 mins FB HSC

This game looks fun, and had pretty good graphics for the Atari 2600.

On 10/25/2020 at 1:48 PM, carlsson said:

Just above detection limit again...

Atari 8-bit:
Missile Command - 10 min.

Never played this game, and it looks pretty difficult. As always thanks for adding up the times for all these weeks.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 43, running from October 19 - 25. We logged 3020 minutes of eligible play, playing 65 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Space Griffon VF-9 (PlayStation) - 548 min. (#6)
2. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 443 min. (#3)
3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 323 min. (#2)
4. Cosmic Creeps (Atari 2600) - 126 min.
5. Bases Loaded (NES/Famicom) - 124 min.
6. Enduro (Atari 2600) - 113 min.
7. Shining Wisdom (Sega Saturn) - 90 min.
8. Circus Atari (Atari 2600) - 88 min.
9. Super Breakout (Atari 2600) - 85 min.
10. Sadoom!+ [hack of Kaboom!] (Atari 2600) - 80 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 443 min. (PN#2)
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 323 min. (PN#1)
3. Cosmic Creeps (Atari 2600) - 126 min.
4. Enduro (Atari 2600) - 113 min.
5. Circus Atari (Atari 2600) - 88 min. (PN#7)
6. Super Breakout (Atari 2600) - 85 min.
7. Sadoom!+ [hack of Kaboom!] (Atari 2600) - 80 min.
8. Drive (Atari 2600) - 70 min.
9. Squish 'Em (Atari 2600) - 57 min.
10. City Defence (Atari 2600) - 48 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1704) (#1)
2. PlayStation (548) (#5)
3. Neo Geo AES/MVS (303) (#4)
4. NES/Famicom (166) (#8)
5. Sega Saturn (90)
6. TG-16/PC Engine (77)
7. Atari 7800 (50) (#6)
8. Atari ST (45)
9. Arcade (15) (#7)
10. Sharp X68000 (12)

The top game this week is Space Griffon VF-9. Second placed game Kaboom! spawns no less than four hacks and if all those minutes would have been counted together, they would have overtaken first place by a margin of 7 minutes but now every hack is their own man. The 443 minutes in any case is enough for the original Activision game to take the pre-NES title, exactly two hours ahead of Solar Fox.

Systems wise the Atari 2600 dominates with 56% of the total times. Also none of the 65 games played exceeds 1000, 5000 or 10000 minutes.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

That is funny. Was that actual text in the game? I just recently got back into reading books this year, and these text games look appealing.

Yes, that's the actual gameplay, although the actual command on the last one was "strip", and not "kill cupboard". While you actually do have to order your heroine to take off her clothes in order to advance in the game, if you do this at the wrong time the game responds with "on a ship full of pirates?...Mama would be ashamed! ("Mama would not approve" appears elsewhere).

Text adventures are wonderful things for avid readers. While it can take some time to get used to command limitations, the game's responses are often fun and witty, and it can be quite satisfying to solve a puzzle. The writing can also be very compelling and the descriptions more evocative than what would be capable with these computers' graphical limitations. I'm still not sure that a modern computer could do much more to convey the stench of a pirate ship's hold awash with bilge water, garbage,  and rats, even with true colour at 1080p.

And Infocom became quite sly about withholding critical bits of information in order to increase difficulty and to tease foolish players with the knowledge that they can't actually see their way around a problem, like you can with a graphic adventure. If you LOOK AROUND the captain's quarters, you'll get a general description of the room along with some potential exits. You won't be told, though, that you can go fore (getting past that cupboard) or up (a ladder after you smash a window with a coffer). In earlier text adventures all of these possible directions would be clearly listed for the player. You can't smash and run your way through these games, and that's a refreshing change of pace.

• Like 3

On 10/27/2020 at 6:58 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Yes, that's the actual gameplay, although the actual command on the last one was "strip", and not "kill cupboard". While you actually do have to order your heroine to take off her clothes in order to advance in the game, if you do this at the wrong time the game responds with "on a ship full of pirates?...Mama would be ashamed! ("Mama would not approve" appears elsewhere).

Text adventures are wonderful things for avid readers. While it can take some time to get used to command limitations, the game's responses are often fun and witty, and it can be quite satisfying to solve a puzzle. The writing can also be very compelling and the descriptions more evocative than what would be capable with these computers' graphical limitations. I'm still not sure that a modern computer could do much more to convey the stench of a pirate ship's hold awash with bilge water, garbage,  and rats, even with true colour at 1080p.

And Infocom became quite sly about withholding critical bits of information in order to increase difficulty and to tease foolish players with the knowledge that they can't actually see their way around a problem, like you can with a graphic adventure. If you LOOK AROUND the captain's quarters, you'll get a general description of the room along with some potential exits. You won't be told, though, that you can go fore (getting past that cupboard) or up (a ladder after you smash a window with a coffer). In earlier text adventures all of these possible directions would be clearly listed for the player. You can't smash and run your way through these games, and that's a refreshing change of pace.

These seem like a really different type of game to play. I really like to play puzzle games, and these seem like an interesting take on that genera. It seems like the game developer used really creative writing to make the player think about how to solve each puzzle. I need to try one of these games one day. Thank you for the information you provided.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 3