IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2020 (Season 13)

carlsson

18 hours ago, cvga said:

It was made by Electronic Arts but the load screen shows EOA. What does the 'O' stand for?

Supposedly it is not an "O" but a circle representing the world globe, illustrating that Electronic Arts was an international, worldwide company. The E is a square and the A is a triangle. However many people wasn't quite as visionary as Trip Hawkins and misread it as EOA. I'm not saying you're lacking imagination, only that you belong with the common people that eventually prompted them to redesign the logo.

Read more here about the EA logotype: https://moneyinc.com/the-story-of-and-history-behind-the-electronic-arts-logo/

Anyway, here are my times for the week:

Atari 2600:
Bowling - 22 min.

Atari 8-bit:
Montezuma Again! - 25 min.
Super Pacman - 17 min.

The 2600 is from bedtime gaming on the Atari Flashback Portable, and the A8 is the current HSC round where I just observed I have become 16% better and 80% more effective on playing old video games in the past three years, if my previous highscore on Super Pacman is to use as a benchmark. Or maybe I just got lucky this time around.

I've also spent some time beta testing upcoming Intellivision games in the emulator but since I didn't play those with the intent to set any scores, I never logged any times and refrain from posting those, in particular since in some cases those are in an early state of development.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (March 30th through April 5th)...

MS-DOS:

Armor Alley - 134 min.

Apple II:

Rescue Raiders - 273 min. in 5 sessions

This week I continued to play the original version of Armor Alley, but then I switched to Rescue Raiders, which in turn is the original version of Armor Alley. In Rescue Raiders, the enemy copter is pretty touch and attacks you relentlessly, so it's hard to fight it, and I didn't manage to win a single battle. There are also a few differences, for instance you can't shoot while on the ground.

• Like 4

Just one game for me this week...

NES

1943 - 249 min (Played on stream for 4 hours.  Kept dying right around level 9 or so, but finally got past it and cruised all the way to the final boss... where I died.  I may try again this week.  Was using the NES Advantage of course.  This game would be far too hard for me to do with the regular controller.  I mean, I could do Jaguar Raiden with no autofire, but this is too much.  lol)

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 5

On 4/4/2020 at 5:58 PM, cvga said:

Spent more time with the Commodore 64 last night and today...

Commodore 64:

Spy Hunter - 15 minutes

Jordan vs Bird: One-on-One Basketball - 90 minutes

Atari 2600:

Space Cactus Canyon - 60 minutes

I had forgotten how much fun One-on-One was. I loved Larry Bird as a kid and this was one of the first games I remember buying after getting a C-64. Fouls, Instant Reply, Shattering Backboard with a Cranky Janitor. It's still awesome! It was made by Electronic Arts but the load screen shows EOA. What does the 'O' stand for?

Re. One-on-One, I can still have fun with that version of the game after all these years.  They did something special.  The C64 version of Spy Hunter is actually pretty fun too.  I think you have to press the space bar for the alt weapon and can only carry one.  I might be making that up though - would have to read the manual again.

EDIT - whoops, I quoted an older post

• Like 3

Arcade  

Asteroids Deluxe 78 

Spy Hunter 277 

Well, I am now renting a Spy Hunter arcade machine and a Twilight Zone pinball machine, so I played them both quite a bit this past week.  Stand up Spy Hunter actually kind of sucks because of the precision you need to apply on the gas pedal.  It puts a huge amount of strain on your non-gas foot.  At first I put a piano bench on the left side so I could kneel, but eventually got a stool and extended the gas pedal with styrofoam so I can actually sit and play the game.  I'm now on track to wipe the entire HS table with my own initials, but there were no outrageous scores on there - Max was about 75k.

• Like 5

I was able to squeeze in a little more 8-bit goodness last night...

XEGS:

Jungle Hunt - 8 minutes

Congo Bongo - 5 minutes - is there a good port of this for an 8-bit machine?

K-razy Shootout - 15 minutes - a berzerk clone that I really liked!

Gyruss - 10 minutes

Missile Command - 12 minutes

Dig Dug - 15 minutes

Spy Hunter - 8 minutes

Basketball - 6 minutes - I won by 2 points! lol

Nintendo Gameboy:

Shadowgate - 25 minutes

Put the XEGS up for awhile so I'll likely move on to another machine.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Would this be Game Boy Color, or at least a game for GBC to whichever extent those can be run in B&W on the older handheld?

Yes, good catch. I was playing it on the GameBoy Player for the GameCube and didn't think about it actually being a GBC game.

• Like 4

My times for the week:

SG-1000:

Chack’n Pop - 60 min.
Dragon Wang - 8 min.

NES:
Racket Attack - 244 min.
Skykid - 14 min.
Solomon’s Key - 2 min.

Master System:
Cyber Shinobi - 2 min.
Shanghai - 385 min.
Space Gun - 1 min.
Submarine Attack - 1 min.
Super Boy II - 11 min.

Beat Shanghai for the first time, and Racket Attack for (I believe) the fourth.

• Like 5

This past week got off to a fairly normal start. I continued my second play through of Alien: Isolation for the year, had a nice evening playing Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar on the Genesis with the misses and swapping the controller back and forth between levels until we beat it, and then... then I got Animal Crossing: New Horizons for the Switch. Just like when I got Animal Crossing on the DS and 3DS, I feel like it's pretty safe to say that this game will now become the totality of my existence for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Outside of the Animal Crossing madness I did spend a little time playing Castlevania via emulation on my phone to test out a gameplay and audio recording setup I'm working on, which had a few hiccups but I think I can iron them out and start doing Let's Play videos of some of my favorite retro games as a little side hobby fairly soon. That about covers it for this week though, so here's my household's times! 

Opsrhso.jpg

Ineligible (All Nintendo Switch)

Alien: Isolation - 515 minutes

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 1,035 minutes

Tetris 99 - 10 minutes

NES

Castlevania - 177 minutes

Sega Genesis

Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar - 147 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,884 minutes (31 hours 24 minutes) [324 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,560 minutes

NES: 177 minutes

Sega Genesis: 147 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Eltigro said:

Shanghai is by far my most played SMS game.  ?

It's an appealing port! The only thing I wish for is a notification when you've run out of moves, rather than having to check the menu item. Otherwise it's very solid.

I don't remember if it guarantees that every puzzle is solvable -- I'll have to check the manual on that -- it'd be nice if so.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

I don't remember if it guarantees that every puzzle is solvable -- I'll have to check the manual on that -- it'd be nice if so.

Doesn't mention it.  Closest it says is:  "The position of each tile is always random, making each Dragon unique.  You'll find that some dragons are a lot tougher than others, but they're all equally fun and challenging."

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 14, running from March 30 - April 5. We logged 3424 minutes of eligible play, playing 43 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Shanghai (Sega Master System) - 385 min.
2. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 277 min.
3. Rescue Raiders (Apple II) - 273 min.
4. 1943 (NES/Famicom) - 249 min.
5. Racket Attack (NES/Famicom) - 244 min.
6. Street Fighter Alpha - Warriors' Dreams (Arcade) - 210 min.
6. Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Arcade) - 210 min. (#4)
8. Castlevania (NES/Famicom) - 177 min.
9. Thunder Force IV / Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (Genesis) - 147 min.
10. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 136 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Spy Hunter (Arcade) - 277 min.
2. Rescue Raiders (Apple II) - 273 min.
3. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 136 min.
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 113 min. (PN#3)
5. Jordan vs. Bird: One-on-One Basketball (C64) - 90 min.
6. Asteroids Deluxe (Arcade) - 78 min. (PN#4)
7. Chack'n Pop (SG-1000) - 60 min.
7. Space Cactus Canyon (Atari 2600) - 60 min.
9. Lock N Chase (Atari 2600) - 52 min.
10. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 40 min. (PN#6)
11. Breakout (Atari 2600) - 39 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Arcade (899) (#4)
2. NES/Famicom (732) (#2)
3. Atari 2600 (477) (#1)
4. Sega Master System (400) (#3)
5. Apple II (273)
6. PC (DOS) (177) (#7)
7. Genesis (147) (#6)
8. Atari 8-bit & XEGS (121) (#10)
9. C64 (105) (#9)
10. SG-1000 (68)

Shanghai, which might sound like a ninja game, but turns out to be a Mahjong game, takes the title ahead of two pre-NES games in form of Spy Hunter and Rescue Raiders which are only four minutes apart. On the pre-NES list, I made some decisions to not include Bubble Bobble (1986) but included SG-1000 games which could be debated since Famicom games from the same era are not included. Thus I made the pre-NES top 11 to be sure. The systems list is dominated by the arcade games and the same NES/Famicom.

No new entries to the various clubs, though a few games are getting very close to getting into the 1000 minute one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

My 14 y.o. and I choose a different system to play each week while we're staying at home. Not sure what we'll move to this weekend but we spent more quality time playing gameboy games (on the gameboy player for the gamecube) during the week.

GameBoy:

Golf - 95 minutes (a couple of rounds takes quite a bit of time!)

Solar Striker - 15 minutes

Revenge of the Gator - 12 minutes

Burgertime Deluxe - 20 minutes

• Like 5

Just one game for me this week again, but I spent a long time playing it...

Sega Saturn

Tomb Raider - 921 min (Played this three separate streams this week.  Having a great time with it.  I've played through it before, but it's been long enough that I don't remember specifics, so I'm having to figure out puzzles and levels.  I'm not using any walkthroughs or anything, so some of the levels are taking up to an hour and a half to get through.)

• Like 5

my game time is more Modern-heavy than Classic this week- part of this had to do with the arthritis in my hands being super flared up.  Street Fighter is a righteous pain in the... hand with a controller.

I have been looking at arcade-style sticks for the Switch, though. :)

Arcade:

Bubble Bobble -- 61 minutes

Street Fighter Alpha -- 120 minutes

Street Fighter Alpha 2 -- 120 minutes

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 4