IGNORED

Fun with tiles: another weekend experiment

cmadruga

• 1 month later...

Yes, it’s the MSX version of The Goonies. I took a stab at mocking up one screen with the help of a tile mapper. 

I wanted to test if proportions would work on the Inty. Looks likes it does, with minor adaptations. 

Another test was the number of tiles to arrive at something close enough to the original. It looks like things would be manageable given GRAM limitations.

Number of sprites needed would be my next test. Let’s see.

I've never played The Goonies, but I realize there were 2-3 independently different versions for various 8-bit systems so the question is which one you would try to replicate: the MSX version (Konami), the NES/PC-88/X1 version (also Konami, but different) or the C64/Atari/Apple/CPC/ZX version (Datasoft). The later reminds me of other popular titles like Bruce Lee or to a lesser extent the "arcade action puzzle" game Zorro but those would be other types of games.

Yeah. I believe the point I was trying to make is that The Goonies would be a peculiar game to port because it exists in three different versions, and many of the people playing would remember it from one of those three, confused why what would appear like a port to be different. In that case, a brand new game with ideas from the existing game, but without the promise of actually trying to be The Goonies may fly better, as nobody would know really what to expect.

(Not considering all intellectual properties regards at all)

I made a full set of frames for the player sprite if you're interested. They're all 8 x 8 or 8 x 16. They're 3 color like the Famicom version, but I didn't color the eyes blue, so that blue should only ever require a single card per frame. This also makes most frames visually 4 colors.

If this eats up too many cards, frames such as the death pose and top of the ladder could be cut and not make much difference. Or the white could bits in the ladder and death kicking frames could be turned red.

gwalk2.gifjump.gif gpkick2.gifslingstand.gifgladder2.gifdeath1.gifgdeath.gif

http://superpce.mywhc.ca/misc/gplayerframes2.zip

I've also worked out how to do the rest of the sprites and icons with minimal cards if you'd like to see how they turn out. "Not Goonies" versions would be much easier to do single color.

Edited by Black_Tiger
  • Like 2

Looks very nice.  He should be okay with those sprites since they'll takes up 6 cards out of 64 when he is redefining the hero cards.  I have the not-MSX version on the Colecovision.  Majority of the enemy's sprites only uses 1 color, because Mike is 3 sprites.  Colecovision only can display 4 sprites on a line. They use the background tiles as hazard to substitute using sprites due to the sprite scanline limitation. 

Thanks Black Tiger, great job!

However, I can't seem to get excited about the NES version... maybe it's because I grew up on the MSX.

Even remember being gifted the game (cassette version) by my uncle. For someone who had no clue about computers, he sure picked a great game! Great job, unknown sales person! ;-)

So I guess that's the version I will try to stick with... while aiming to morph it eventually into something that is *NOT* Goonies ;-) 

Just so you guys know, here's how I'm "budgeting" GRAM space for now... very, very preliminary.

6 positions for the protagonist is exactly what I'm assuming.

I still haven't captured things like:

- coins

- that big blue door with the skull and crossbones

- little "explosions" (when enemies get killed, etc)

- etc

It looks like space would be tight.

image.png.0e0cc50ab42332bca1b9d4b1da8c488a.png

I saw a video of the Colecovision version and it looks identical to the MSX one... but it plays slower. Could you confirm, Kiwi?

• Like 1

However, I can't seem to get excited about the NES version... maybe it's because I grew up on the MSX.

That's cool. I started that player sprite before you post the first video with sprites. I planned to look at different versions and see which elements/enemies might work best on Intellivision.

I figured that adapting the Famicom sprite would be the best way to create the mist detailed version possible for Intellivision and that it would already look different enough for an inevitable "Not Goonies" evolution.

Below are a couple of the enemies I already completed from the Famicom version.

gmouse.gifgoctopus.gif

This is an alt palette player sprite with adjusted pixelart to look like he's wearing a cap or helmet, to further distance it from the official games.

gplayeralt1.pnggplayeralt2.png

I haven't spent much time with any version other than fooling around a bit in the arcade version back in the 80's. I didn't realize how streamlined the MSX version was. It would be much easier to do a straight port of. But I can still adapt more enemies from other versions or create new ones if you're interested.

Edited by Black_Tiger

I probably shouldn't crash your projects, but I just thought about possible mashups of games. Think a "cave game" like The Goonies, where you might find tools or weapons so you can dig holes like Lode Runner to lure enemies into, or power ups that for a while give you strength to kick the crap out of them like in Bruce Lee... yes, I know it sounds like a big crockpot full of games mixed into one, but it would also mean a unique title that lets you borrow some good elements without sticking to replicating a particular game that already exists on many formats. It is the type of games I would look forward to. You probably could use the keypad to select tool/weapon too, to take advantage of the Intellivision controls.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

I probably shouldn't crash your projects, but I just thought about possible mashups of games. Think a "cave game" like The Goonies, where you might find tools or weapons so you can dig holes like Lode Runner to lure enemies into, or power ups that for a while give you strength to kick the crap out of them like in Bruce Lee... yes, I know it sounds like a big crockpot full of games mixed into one, but it would also mean a unique title that lets you borrow some good elements without sticking to replicating a particular game that already exists on many formats. It is the type of games I would look forward to. You probably could use the keypad to select tool/weapon too, to take advantage of the Intellivision controls.

Have you given IntyBASIC a try yet? Sounds like you should! Scratch that itch!

On 3/8/2020 at 3:24 PM, Black_Tiger said:

That's cool. I started that player sprite before you post the first video with sprites. I planned to look at different versions and see which elements/enemies might work best on Intellivision.

I figured that adapting the Famicom sprite would be the best way to create the mist detailed version possible for Intellivision and that it would already look different enough for an inevitable "Not Goonies" evolution.

Below are a couple of the enemies I already completed from the Famicom version.

gmouse.gif goctopus.gif

This is an alt palette player sprite with adjusted pixelart to look like he's wearing a cap or helmet, to further distance it from the official games.

gplayeralt1.png gplayeralt2.png

I haven't spent much time with any version other than fooling around a bit in the arcade version back in the 80's. I didn't realize how streamlined the MSX version was. It would be much easier to do a straight port of. But I can still adapt more enemies from other versions or create new ones if you're interested.

Thanks, really nice work!
I’d like to play around with the game a little more, to see if it’s really doable. Would hate to see you putting effort into it, for me to drop the project later.

May just use some MSX-like graphics for now to test it.

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

Not crashing at all my friend, let the ideas flow. I would love to play the game you describe. I guess I’ve been focusing on (partial) replications so far as a way to continue to get myself comfortable with Intybasic. 

• Like 1