IGNORED

Fun with tiles: another weekend experiment

cmadruga

5 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Thanks, really nice work!
I’d like to play around with the game a little more, to see if it’s really doable. Would hate to see you putting effort into it, for me to drop the project later.

May just use some MSX-like graphics for now to test it.

All of this is fun for me and good experience. Even if you stick to a straight MSX port, I'll likely still work on adapting Famicom assets in my spare time.

I was worried that the Intellexpander was going to kill a lot of genuine Intellivision homebrew, the way that the SGM split homebrew efforts for Colecovision. Seeing a more interesting version Castlevania make it to Intellivision without new hardware was so nice and it's one of many new games which prove how the Intellivision hardware is fine as it is.

It would be cool to see how a proof of concept mockup of a port of the other showcased Intellexpander game turns out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You know, I've been enjoying working on this one!

Maybe it will be good enough... but you guys tell me.

Enhancements since last video:

- 16 screens built in total... just 4 more needed to have the entire Stage 1 done. Whole game would have 100.

- introduced bats... their movement is still a little weird.

- a surprising amount of behind-the-scenes logic for managing the status of all those green cells spread across the map: locked vs unlocked, full vs empty, what content is inside, etc..

- ... more logic for all the skull "teleporters"... to make sure they take you to the right screen AND drop you at the right coordinates...

- ... and more logic built into waterfalls... to support screens that have more than 1... also to handle objects hidden by the water...

- new color scheme for green screens

Next steps:

- Fix skull and bat movement wonkiness

- Fix glitches when going up/down ropes.

- Enemy spawning and destruction animation frames

- Pipes and leaks.

- An inventory screen?

- ... and the feared "yellow Fratelli" enemy... moving him around should be an interesting challenge.

- music and sounds

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Introducing a new enemy: the yellow Fratelli.

He's not very intelligent at the moment, but I'm working on it. 

Skulls and bats will now have proper animations for spawning and de-spawning.

Also fixed bugs with jumping and other behind the scenes stuff.

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I have a question.  I noticed that the tile print slowly when going to another screen.  Is that compression or tile coding technique? 

I'd say the code at this point is just not optimized. Probably by tinkering with IF's I will already get some improvement.

It's basically just reading DATA entries and putting tiles on screen after applying a color scheme. Along the way it will also initialize moving elements (enemy mobs, waterfalls, etc).

Do you have a standard way of doing this kind of stuff that you'd say works fast?

In asm you just do not read the STICK register at $0020 during ISR. In order to have the screen on it has to be accessed every frame at VBLANK.

If you do not do that, all STICK registers will be unavailable and the screen will stay off in the color of the border.

Nanochess this question is for you!

How to disable the screen in intybasic?

ps

I've added the request on github

https://github.com/nanochess/IntyBASIC/issues/20

Edited by artrag

17 hours ago, cmadruga said:

I'd say the code at this point is just not optimized. Probably by tinkering with IF's I will already get some improvement.

It's basically just reading DATA entries and putting tiles on screen after applying a color scheme. Along the way it will also initialize moving elements (enemy mobs, waterfalls, etc).

Do you have a standard way of doing this kind of stuff that you'd say works fast?

I was just curious.

I did have to change the foreground bit color from the screen data in ROM to change the building in Mad Bomber.  So I add or subtract the card number to change the color.

if BDrop=1 then 
SCREEN my_screen 

if BGcolor=5 then #AddColor=0 else #AddColor=-4 
'if BGcolor=11 then #AddColor=-4
if BGcolor=6 then #AddColor=$1000-1
if BGcolor=13 then #AddColor=-3
if BGcolor=12 then #AddColor=$1003
for i=0 to 139
'#MCard=0
#MCard=peek ($200+80+i)
#MCard=#MCard+#AddColor
poke $200+80+i,#MCard
next i

From here: http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php?title=STIC

Register $20 said active display strobe.  I'm not sure if that blanks the screen.  But, I think either @nanochess or @intvnut may have the answer. 

Currently there is no way to disable/enable the screen except using ASM DIS and ASM EIS like ARTRAG says but the side-effect is the background music interrupted.

This is because the video interrupt routine always kicks the port to keep the screen enabled.

• Like 1