IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

4 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

This is the perfect background music for a 7800 version of Zippy the Porcupine ?

Still hoping someone does Marble Madness on the 7800....  or...

7800 Crystal Castles, which was actually an early launch title but never materialized...

If we are going to have all these new capabilities, the 7800 needs new games (but enhancements to existing one will definitely be welcomed!) 

Oh...  7800 Vanguard ?

On 2/12/2020 at 5:47 AM, CPUWIZ said:

I could make a board, bigger than 1MB, but who wants to pay for the components?  Plus, if you can't make a 1MB + XM game, you suck anyway. :P

In truth, we all suck a little because we really don't have enough free time... and already a lot of fantastic (and secrets) projects in WIP / dormant status... Otherwise, with your 1MB board + XM, we would already think of something like that...
:) :)

675505425_7800CrystalCastles.thumb.PNG.84e753dfdc31baab5982c73dc2971fcf.PNG

343264895_MarbleMadnessarcadevs7800.thumb.PNG.daba6efb05f3648e1a153e0d36ccd24f.PNG

799574886_7800CongoBongo.thumb.PNG.31a2608cf3f950bd9bb9ce393b349d2f.PNG

812193751_7800MonkeyIsland.thumb.PNG.4aa59c0cb71bb2d8c80db66043e39715.PNG

1828028332_7800DonkeyKong3vsarcade.thumb.PNG.adfe5402a3d9e3f3b874b61739977960.PNG

1295055539_7800Popeye.thumb.PNG.e049ccb2739cf80d70fa915c83911688.PNG

29054973_7800Galaga320v2.thumb.PNG.da1a11c56d639c1962a7d08773604142.PNG

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Curt Vendel said:

WOW !!!  Just checked again, they are finally done!  Hopefully they'll ship soon... will have my gloves and N95 mask ready when they arrive for complete spray down with disinfectant (Not kidding!)

JLCPCB.png

Demineralized water right after to wash away any chemicals from disinfectant too! Great to see the boards are finally completed. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Shawn said:

Demineralized water right after to wash away any chemicals from disinfectant too! Great to see the boards are finally completed. 

Or just dunk them all in 90% iso (which is what docs swab your skin with for an injection after all ;) ). 

Besides, unless they arrive <72 hours after they are shrink wrapped, your risk is essentially zero anyway.  Viruses generally don’t live long without a host to replicate in.

EDIT: saw another study that suggests a week. So Lysol then iso bath. :) 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Or just dunk them all in 90% iso (which is what docs swab your skin with for an injection after all ;) ). 

Besides, unless they arrive <72 hours after they are shrink wrapped, your risk is essentially zero anyway.  Viruses generally don’t live long without a host to replicate in.

EDIT: saw another study that suggests a week. So Lysol then iso bath. :) 

:thumbsup: other studies suggest 9 days, caution is never too much in these circumstances.

• Like 1

One more idea to kill any potential coronavirus surfaces - heat them to at least 56°C for over 15 minutes. That info is for the SARs coronavirus variant in a cultured medium, but it's likely to translate to the current COVID-19 strain as well. 

In this case the survival medium wouldn't be as ideal as the lab tests, though with an unknown starting load of virus, I'd still zap the suckers a bit longer and/or hotter. Easy enough to do if you have a temp-controlled reflow oven. Or any temp controlled oven, provided a significant other won't shoot you for sticking potentially contaminated stuff in it. :P

Starting with heat treatment would minimize your potential exposure to the virus, since you'd only handle the boards minimally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NostAlgae37 said:

These 2 mockups in particular make me drool over the potential of the XM.  :lust:

Thanks, I like them both. But speaking of WIP projects, let me say that D2K really will leave us breathless... :)
And, there are also 2 more impressive WIP of which at the moment I can not say anything... :)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, NostAlgae37 said:

These 2 mockups in particular make me drool over the potential of the XM.  :lust:

Those are crazy close!  I'm actually pretty impressed with the games so far I've played on the 7800.  Since I have a bare board with no case, I definitely want to do the A/V mod on that one, then come up with something for a case... Looking forward to getting my own XM!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Thanks, I like them both. But speaking of WIP projects, let me say that D2K really will leave us breathless... :)
And, there are also 2 more impressive WIP of which at the moment I can not say anything... :)

My services for D2K music are available should they be required  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Would doing a A/V mod on the 7800 allow the XM POKEY and YM2151 sound to come through?

If the mod is done correctly so that it combines the audio in line from the cartridge port, it should. So basically, if you do the mod such that you can hear audio from Ballblazer, Commando or any of the modern POKEY homebrews (or Rikki & Vicki!) you should hear XM audio. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RevEng said:

No, the YM2151 is stricly FM. Many arcade boards that used the YM2151, like Sega X, include a separate chip for PCM.

Caught RevEng's reply pop-up in the middle of gathering mine. ?

Another example is Atari System 1 games such as Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, as well as Road Runner.  They contain the TMS5220 or TMS5220C chip for sample support.

Gauntlet (II) and Star Wars also utilize the aforementioned chips, along with ~30 other Arcade titles.

• Like 2

OK, I altered the zanac theme ...

The open hi hat and tom toms have been removed.  We have 8 voices, and each of the 8 channels has it's own voice, in sequence.  This way we're not changing voice data in the middle of the song and eating the CPU in the process.  It also increases the chance of the module being converted into a format that can play on the XM.

RevEng ... do your stuff. :)  make us an .A78 out of this ...

zanac-8 voice.wav

zanac-8 voice.dmf

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 4

Thanks! Working on it, for sure. I spent a good chunk of the weekend coding up a parser for DFM files, and it's at the point where it can print out all of the song info, instrument data, the pattern matrix, and the pattern note data, all in human readable format.

The program still needs work though, because the DFM data layout is structured for deflemask to easily load it's stuff, and to match internal structures. e.g. empty bits of the song are comprised of a lot of contiguous short rest notes that eat up space. I need to massage the program to output the data in structures that make sense for a 6502 driver, in addition to culling unused patterns and other stuff that won't be used. Then I actually need to write the 6502 driver that uses that data and sends it to the YM. :P  

But the good news is, the format is decoded, and there are no longer any big unknown issues that might stop me. It's just a matter of putting in the time.

• Like 6

For some unknown reason i awoke this morning thinking ..wondering about the XM. I was going to make a post asking if there was any update? ....and here we are. Pretty darn awesome. if there is anything else anyone wants me to think about to manifest let me know. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

One of them is Elevator Action. That's what the voices in my head tell me.