IGNORED

XM has shipped!

Curt Vendel

Hi everyone, thank you very much for the kind replies.  

I just emailed Mark to get a status on how the Consumer BIOS is moving along and to see when I'd receive the next rev to test out.   I'm going to be working on writing up the beginings of the manual so that I can get that over to someone Albert put me in touch with to do a full professional layout for the manual like the way the homebrew games are done.  I also need to start screen capturing all of the menu and sub menu's to put into the manual.    So I'll let everyone know more soon, thanks.

• Like 7

On 7/18/2020 at 2:29 PM, Curt Vendel said:

Hi everyone, thank you very much for the kind replies.  

I just emailed Mark to get a status on how the Consumer BIOS is moving along and to see when I'd receive the next rev to test out.   I'm going to be working on writing up the beginings of the manual so that I can get that over to someone Albert put me in touch with to do a full professional layout for the manual like the way the homebrew games are done.  I also need to start screen capturing all of the menu and sub menu's to put into the manual.    So I'll let everyone know more soon, thanks.

Will the physical manuals be sent at a later date with the boxes? I'm sure a digital PDF would be just fine for most in the meantime. I really, really hope that BIOS doesn't keep holding the project back from shipping. Seems so close yet so far. Very frustrating. I can only imagine how you feel about it. Shame to be at the mercy of GroovyBee when the hardware is ready to go. :) 

15 hours ago, Shawn said:

Will the physical manuals be sent at a later date with the boxes? I'm sure a digital PDF would be just fine for most in the meantime. I really, really hope that BIOS doesn't keep holding the project back from shipping. Seems so close yet so far. Very frustrating. I can only imagine how you feel about it. Shame to be at the mercy of GroovyBee when the hardware is ready to go. :) 

Welcome to the world of Firmware engineering. ;)

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Shawn said:

No one is at anyone’s mercy to be honest. We’ve all be together in this project for years. Everyone has had to step away and back as life family health and finances got in the way of our hobby focus.

its Actually Mark, Bobby and others who were at my mercy for many years if you want to look at it like that.

they had to wait until they had final hardware to create everything needed.  The BIOS is what the end user sees and uses to bring out the features, the magic, from the XM.

this has been a long project.  The devs are writing games for it.  Let’s just get it right and not go into a sloppy rush to make it to some arbitrary finish line.

• Like 4

On 7/20/2020 at 10:58 PM, Curt Vendel said:

this has been a long project.  The devs are writing games for it.  Let’s just get it right and not go into a sloppy rush to make it to some arbitrary finish line.

I was told mine would be on the way 5 months ago and I'm still sitting with a nothing. I feel like a fool for believing what you told me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt Vendel said:

Bumped back at ya... ?

New original Yamaha music in the Yamaha testing menu has been completed according to the Consumer BIOS guys.

Can you provide some context as to what that means? That doesn't exactly sound like the needle has moved very far since the begining of March till now with only a couple days left in July :( . How about that one specific homebrew pcb issue, has that been sorted out? I hope it was easy enough to get sorted out and that is a thing of the past for any involved in doing so. 

4 minutes ago, Jinks said:

I think it means they added a original song on the YM sound test. So not going with Rock Me Amadeus? ?

That is kinda what I'm thinking but hoping isn't true as that would mean next to nothing has been done in the last 5 months. I gotta step away from this topic now. Too depressing.

17 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

I lost track of progress when there was talk about adding a power supply, and there hasn't been any updates on if that was still ongoing.

That was cleared up and decided on, Curt said there won't be a need for an added power supply. I was happy to hear that myself. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Oh yeah, that's some good news.

Old but good, yes. I'm wondering why 5 months have passed with a whole nothing getting done when it was supposed to be going into overdrive getting finished ASAP cause of the pandemic giving anyone and everyone so much more time to do such things. From what I'm gathering that was hot air and the needle has moved even less towards completion. The only progress that has been stated is in regards to a different jingle for the yamaha audio test routine. There was already one in place for that in the bios version that went out in February so really nothing has been done at all as far as those waiting on this thing would be concerned. It makes me personally feel very upset in a few different ways but that is on me for letting myself feel that way about this. I should have known better and it's my own fault for thinking or feeling any different. Curt seems to be at the mercy of Mark as far the the software part goes, Here is hoping with the hardware finished as long as it has been that he has been building up the XM units this whole time and their is a bunch of them just waiting for a BIOS he will ship to the masses. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Maybe you need to take a break.. lets go over to the is the 7800 necessary? thread and crack sum skullz. 

Well money was taken 10 year ago soon, I think it's reasonable to wonder if time is put on the important stuff to get it shipped some day.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Zonie said:

These guys are basically working on this for free. Give it a rest. It'll be done when it's done.

That's the problem - if "it will be done when it's done", don't keep promising dates and missing them.  Shawn is rightfully upset because this is not the first time, nor is it the 20th time we've been told we'll have them in a few weeks, only for months to go by with no information, then years go by.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I guess the point here is if you don't have a target objective, things will drag forever.

Their is a lot of value to complete a project event if it's now 100% perfect. I think the demo music is a good example of thing that could have been dropped.

Or maybe it's just a freebies since it's not the critical path of the project.

We don't know since we don't really got updates.

I'm in this for 10 years and been very patient and quiet and I won't give up my spot, my DK XM is ready to be used.

That being said, I think 10 year is a nice round number and it would be nice to see this ship this year.

If their is "No shortage of people here who want one" lets get those people to make new preorder, generate some cash flow that way and let's pay someone full time to finish the firmware.

My Two Cents

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zonie said:

You can always sell your spot to someone else. No shortage of people here who want one...

That is absolutely not a valid solution for anyone. Where you told both personally and publicly that one of the XM systems was earmarked to be sent to you at the end of February\ into early March of this year? I sure was. That was 5 months ago and I still personally have nothing and it seems the project on a whole has not moved an inch in that time either. A time frame that was specifically stated to the public as time to put it into overdrive and get it finished ASAP due to having so much extra time to be able to get things done when the whole world was otherwise shutdown at at home. That did not happen. I'm not even considering what's transpired over the last decade, forget that for right now, I'm only speaking to this year of 2020 and what has been said to both me personally and to everyone else publicly. It's gross mistreatment. Anyone and everyone in such a situation no matter what it related to would be, and is totally justified to be, upset beyond words about such a situation. Selling my, your (I dunno if you are pre-ordered or not, I assume you are) or anyone else's spot to someone else is not on the table, but my XM unit and however many others that could have been built and shipped by now should have been and they are not. There is no justifiable reason for this. I'm not out of line nor speaking out of turn on this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Y'know, I seem to remember that one of the devs involved quit because of how people treated him here and expect him to bend over backwards for them when they don't get what they want. If people keep bitching, they may all just say fuck it, and then we all will be out our $100. Wanna reimburse everyone because you pissed off the devs? 

Remember, we paid for the housings only, the contents are gratis. They'll make some back on after pre-order sales, but never recoup their total investment. 

These guys do this for the love of the hobby. I'm happy they do. I wish I could afford to buy every home brew I want, but cannot. If you have ever spent ANY time designing hardware or coding (I do) you would realize that you are getting something for about 20% of what it should cost when it finally does arrive.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1