IGNORED

Flashback X Identifying Solder Pads on Board

Sorry, bumping this...I attempted to "go for it", and destroyed my USB stick. It DID get the LED lit up...I probably destroyed it before I got the power the right way round. 

Just need to know which leads are which... 5V, GND, Data + and Data -.

Is there a way to figure this out by using a multimeter, or some other way that won't destroy my USB stick if I get the wires wrong?

ANy help is greatly appreciated! I want to install my USB stick internally and not use that Y cable. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Arnaud Giese said:

sorry, just read the end of your post. I believe you could directly solder the usb drive to the USB port that is already present on the board?

You can. There are 4 solder pads as shown in the photo circled in red. I am trying to determine which hole corresponds to which USB wire. I’d rather have this hard wired and tucked away inside the unit than use a Y cable.

2 hours ago, Arnaud Giese said:

Since you don't have the map for these pads (J1), my point was to solder the USB dongle directly on the pads of the mini USB port in J2. For those pads, you know which one is what.

Yeah, I don’t know if I’d have the soldering dexterity to do that. Those are very tiny and my eyesight and hand control aren’t what they used to be.

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2020 at 12:21 PM, Robotube said:

Hi all,

looking to identify if the red circled pads are a USB port, and if so, what pins correspond to what holes? I know USB is normally 5 pins but I wondered if the ground is somewhere else?

also, any idea what the yellow circled pads are for?

thanks!

404FD2C8-B6B3-4615-94DB-D1D2C4E8918E.jpeg

The red part is a programming interface (ISP).  This is used to flash the firmware in the factory.

The yellow part is probably an I2C bus, or a serial port.

Neither can be used for what you want to do.  Piggy-backing on the J2 USB is probably the best option.  If you buzz out the circuit you might find a via or other convenient soldering point.