IGNORED

Retro Games That Help With Anxiety

Nintendo64

I get extreme anxiety at times. Some games can actually make my anxiety worse, but I have noticed that sometimes certain games can help calm my anxiety and I can get lost within the game. The retro games that have helped calm me down at times are Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario 64. Maybe its the open world concept where the worlds aren't so big that their endless, like in some of the current games today. Maybe its the world within a world concept, where there are different types of puzzles to solve before moving on to the next level.
I would like to know, what are some of the retro games that you play that help calm you down and can help you lose yourself within the game?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nintendo64 said:

I get extreme anxiety at times. Some games can actually make my anxiety worse, but I have noticed that sometimes certain games can help calm my anxiety and I can get lost within the game. The retro games that have helped calm me down at times are Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario 64. Maybe its the open world concept where the worlds aren't so big that their endless, like in some of the current games today. Maybe its the world within a world concept, where there are different types of puzzles to solve before moving on to the next level.
I would like to know, what are some of the retro games that you play that help calm you down and can help you lose yourself within the game?

When I was in elementary school, a local pizza parlor had a game called, "Top Players Golf" in a Neo-Geo MVS. This game use to help me relax after a tough week of schooling or when I had a hankering for pizza during the weekdays, and for stressed out Friday quizzes and exams that we were required to do for what we learned during the week. This use to help me calm down with a Pepsi to drink on the side to help start my weekends right. I use to play it for years in the joint. In fact, the distributor wanted to add a new game into the slot that it was in, but decided not to because it was a regular inserting $2.00-$3.00 in quarters to play it. :)

Here's the game to show you what I mean.  

Anthony..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VectorGamer said:

Tetris type 2 on the NES

Just to be clear do you mean regular Tetris "B-Type" on the NES or Tetris 2 the game?

Thanks for all of these great suggestions, i will check out Fable and Top Players Golf as well if i can get these games. Ive tried some golf games but i dont own a Neo Geo. Maybe I can get a Neo Geo emuator and try it out.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

Just to be clear do you mean regular Tetris "B-Type" on the NES or Tetris 2 the game?

Thanks for all of these great suggestions, i will check out Fable and Top Players Golf as well if i can get these games. Ive tried some golf games but i dont own a Neo Geo. Maybe I can get a Neo Geo emuator and try it out.

Yeah sorry B-type. The one that has an ending and doesn't speed up during game play.

2 hours ago, VectorGamer said:

Yeah sorry B-type. The one that has an ending and doesn't speed up during game play.

No problems, I really appreciate your input about helping me find games that could possibly help me with my anxiety, especially NES games. The NES is my favorite system and any games from that system would be great to play if it helps me escape anxiety.

Really any NES, Super NES, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, PS1, or PS2 games would be great to hear because those are the systems that i currently have. I guess Id be open to hear about PS4 games, but that's not retro and I don't play it that often. I will try playing some Tetris B-Type to see if it helps

Thanks again

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

No problems, I really appreciate your input about helping me find games that could possibly help me with my anxiety, especially NES games. The NES is my favorite system and any games from that system would be great to play if it helps me escape anxiety.

Really any NES, Super NES, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, Nintendo 64, PS1, or PS2 games would be great to hear because those are the systems that i currently have. I guess Id be open to hear about PS4 games, but that's not retro and I don't play it that often. I will try playing some Tetris B-Type to see if it helps

Thanks again

Try out "Golf" for the NES then. I always found it to be fun and relaxing. Its pretty slow paced.

Here's my picks... Totally personal, but when I just want to relax, these are my goto's

Star Control 2 for PC or 3do

The sci-fi rpg never gets old for me, but the Super Melee vs computer doubly so.

Acid Tetris for PC

Good Tetris game... Something about this version is super relaxing... Maybe it's the music.

Master of Orion 1 or 2 (pc dos)

Talk about getting lost in a game environment.

Tempest 2000 (PC or Jaguar)

I know it's not relaxing -more hypnotic.

REZ (PS2 or Dreamcast)

Also quite "relaxing" for your girlfriend or wife if you have the Japanese USB vibrator accessory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Try out "Golf" for the NES then. I always found it to be fun and relaxing. Its pretty slow paced.

Thanks I will try golf.  I just played NES Open and thought that was a calming game.

13 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

This thread reminds me of something I have on my web site:

randomterrain.com/rt-game-design-ideals.html#frustration_and_irritation

Nice Website, i enjoyed reading some of the information there and I will read some more later

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Anything you still have not beaten yet will cause anxiety.

Thats not really the case  for me, although it could be for other people. I am playing 2 games right now for the past 3 weeks that i havent beaten, castlevania 64 and Banjo Kazooie, and i feel like these games help me get lost in the worlds and forget about my anxiety at times. I play the games for a little while then save, and come back to them a little while later. Thats how I finished Super Mario 64, which i felt was a little therapeutic most of the time I was playing it.

7 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I think golf for the Atari 2600 (or Computer Golf for the Odyssey 2) would be good. Even better if it had 18 holes instead of just 9. Or, I suppose you could play them both, one right after another.

Nice Suggestion, that seems to be the overall consensus is that golf games help with anxiety. I dont own the 2600 but i might try to pick up an emulator and roms if i can find the right/safe site do get them from.

repetition soothes my anxiety.  I love games that I'm really familiar with or have game play that you're doing the same steps (but different).  It's calming to me to blow through games that I've completed.

I have a ton of games i could rotate, but here's some notable ones:

Lode Runner (C64)

Attack of the Mutant Camels (C64)

Berzerk (2600)

Dig Dug (arcade)

Tetris (NES, the '99' single player variations on Switch)

Slymoids (TI 99 4A)

Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)

Final Fight (arcade)

Street Fighter Alpha/Zero (arcade)

Super Mario 1, 2 , or 3 (NES)

Mega Man 2 (NES)

Mega Man 3 (NES)

Mega Man 5 (NES)

I have a few I like on modern platforms as well, but that's not the scope.  :)

Some of the modern world racing games. For example, there's a Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on the PS3 where I found it relaxing to just pick an area and start driving and enjoying the virtual scenery. The more realistic these environments become the more fun it is to just drive around freely in these worlds

I'll add to the one who mentioned golf games. Same thing, nice scenery, simple gameplay. Relaxing. Also some good old video pinball can get you in the zone and relax you

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 1

The first skin of Lumines for the PSP is very relaxing. There are occasions when I just play that, or  the “I Hear the Music in My Soul” skin to relax.

Qix is quite mesmerizing. What about that? Xari Arena also has all those bright colours. Pretty!

And, okay, I know it’s not a game, but what about Relax for the A8? I believe that there was a copy for sale recently...

• Like 1

Coincidental to the OP's handle, Maro Kart 64 really helped me through some tough times in the '90s.  I think it was probably just being able to focus on something and being in control of something I was good at.  

Today, its whatever game that interests me and I'm decent at playing.  I'd prefer a more productive hobby (like writing or woodworking) to take my mind off things for a while, but I don't seem to be built that way.

• Like 1

I have anxiety issues too so I can relate. A good game of Mortal Kombat arcade usually takes my mind off things haha. For me any game with alot of action does it. I see lots of recommendations for mellow stuff. I like really wild shooters like R Type when I feel anxious and need to let out some steam.

Racing games are soothing to me also.

On 1/19/2020 at 7:35 AM, AtariLeaf said:

Some of the modern world racing games. For example, there's a Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on the PS3 where I found it relaxing to just pick an area and start driving and enjoying the virtual scenery. The more realistic these environments become the more fun it is to just drive around freely in these worlds

I'll add to the one who mentioned golf games. Same thing, nice scenery, simple gameplay. Relaxing. Also some good old video pinball can get you in the zone and relax you

I agree- I like playing either the Forza Motorsport or Horizon games for this reason.

13 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

The first skin of Lumines for the PSP is very relaxing. There are occasions when I just play that, or  the “I Hear the Music in My Soul” skin to relax.

Qix is quite mesmerizing. What about that? Xari Arena also has all those bright colours. Pretty!

And, okay, I know it’s not a game, but what about Relax for the A8? I believe that there was a copy for sale recently...

This was one of the modern games I was alluding to in my post- Lumines is fantastic.  I can 'zone out' to the gameplay pretty easy.

• Like 1