IGNORED

Alienware UFO: A "PC Switch"

Mike_2000

To start this topic off, this is a prototype from CES. Dell/Alienware have not confirmed that they will ever actually sell this product. Additionally, key details like the exact specs, battery, and MSRP are mostly unknown at this time. That being said, I wanted to discuss this "Alienware UFO" Prototype from CES.

Here's an article from CNET where they seemed to spend quite some time with the prototype and the main thing that gets me is that it's an obvious switch clone that runs PC games-- It has a kickstand, detachable "paddle controllers", it can be connected to a monitor via USB-C to HDMI, and the designs just generally looks a lot like the Switch. Honestly, I'm surprised that it's taken until Jan 2020 for a PC manufacturer to show a prototype for something like this-- gamers love the Switch's form factor, and gamers love buying dozens of digital games in Steam sales, so making a gaming PC with that portable form factor seems like a no brainer. Apparently it runs at approximately mid-tier gaming PC specs, and the OS is just standard x86 windows 10 meaning that most PC games will run decently, and almost all emulators will also function quite well. Also any other Windows software should theoretically work... Apparently with a mouse/keyboard attached, this thing can be used as a normal desktop. If the Alienware UFO does eventually come out eventually, the battery and MSRP will definitely make or break this system. If the battery life is too short or the price is too high, this won't succeed at all. However, if it's a fair price and the battery is around the same as the Switch, then I can only imagine that this will be a hit with many gamers -- I'm definitely not the first or last person who's thought "yeah the Switch is cool, but what if I could install Steam and Retroarch and have access to countless games?" so this device could definitely be the huge if executed correctly.

Anyway, does anyone else have any thoughts on this device? Is it going to change the status quo of PC gaming and prompt tons of other "PC Switch" type devices? Is it going to flop and never be mentioned again? Or will Dell/Alienware literally never mention the UFO project after CES 2020, and we are left to speculate about what happened to it? I'd love to hear more thoughts on what I believe is the first of many Switch Clones that will launch in the next few years to capitalize on the trend of of "console quality handheld games" (just like how everyone went bananas for Motion Controls in 2010, or how the past 2-3 years have been filled with nonstop mini consoles of varying quality. Nintendo likes to create new fads).

I heard about it the day before CES and was instantly intrested. Im a huge fan of portable hardware. It would be super convenient to play this is bed or on a couch. We finally have effecient and powerful X86 processors to make this a reality which is very exciting. Its going to be expensive but the free games makes up for it greatly imo.

• Like 2