IGNORED

Taking a hiatus

SpiceWare

Darrell, please take whatever time you need and come back. I sincerely, truily, appreciate you and what you've done. The internet is just a brutal place for criticism. It's not always easy to have a thick skin, but sometimes you just have to do your own thing and filter out the nay-sayers.

Hope you still post in the meantime and stick around. If not please come back recharged and renewed of purpose!

Ok, I've calmed down a bit.  I took a look at the new topic and was disappointed to see misunderstandings like this:

Instead of being limited by the 6507 ability to write data to the TIA (generally a load/store on 6507 takes 5 cycles of the 76 available on a scanline), now you have the ARM effectively able to throw MANY changes to the TIA on each scanline.

because 5 cycle load/store to update TIA is exactly how we write the custom 6507 code for DPC+ and CDFJ projects - you can see that in the Kernel that's shown at the end of Part 3.

With BUS there is a faster 3 cycle store without the load, though it still requires custom 6507 code to control which TIA registers get updated (bus stuffing only controls the data, not the address) and it was actually developed back in 1982 by 3 former Commodore engineers who were working on the Graduate.  Sadly it turned out to be a bust, at least with Harmony/Melody, due to hardware revisions made to some 2600 Jrs and some PAL 7800s so we've abandoned all BUS projects.

Anyway I'm not going to address it in that topic because, for peace of mind, I've used the Ignore Topic for the first time ever.

1101926550_ScreenShot2020-01-17at8_02_46PM.thumb.png.3c80323f2adc93dda29cf66fc672388d.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 11 months later...