IGNORED

Spectre Disks

Goochman

Ive been playing around with my GoTek finally and have worked through a number of issues related to working with Spectre 128 images.  There is no image for "HFS/MFS" Spectre disks with the HxC software so I played around a bit with what was there with mixed results.

DC Formatter has always been my go to for disk creation.  I used the 800k DOS/Amiga image and had mixed results.

I wanted to create an MFS disk that I could use with the Translator (800k) but no matter what I tried it always failed

I had 2 800k images I tested HFS with.  The 800k DOS/Amiga image wouldnt format with DC Formatter for HFS or MFS.  I had an 800k .ST image I converted to .hfe awhile back and DC Formatter was able to create an empty HFS disk image for me - not MFS.

The Format utility that comes with Spectre 128 3.0 was better.  I could format both my 800k images - Spectre only uses HFS for 800k floppies.

So - now Im able to copy from my SF314 B drive to my "GoTek" drive to bring Spectre images to the PC.

Ive attached 2 .hfe images (you can convert to .ST easily with the utility on the hxc2001 website):

System 6.0.4 bootable disk

Random disk that had Frogger for the Mac on it

Id really like to get ahold of System 6.0.8 if someone was able to make a .ST image of it?  If you have it and a GoTek drive you can use one of the images attached to copy the files to :)

Anyhow - hopefully we can have more sharing here?  Unfort the Transverter program isnt that good, but maybe we can find an alternative?

Mac Disks.zip

• Like 6

• 2 years later...

They sold 2 versions - the 128 cart and the GCR cart.  Only difference is the GCR Cart could connect to your ST disk drive and read Mac 800k disks in it.  If you have the GCR hooked up and an original 800k Mac Disk with System 6 on it you should be able to boot Spectre with the Mac disk and then tranfser the System files to you HD partition and boot from there.

• 11 months later...

I have a 6.0.7 partition with a number of apps/games Id be willing to share.  Its an Ultrastan Spectre partition - how would I go about imaging this?  Maybe someone with a better setup  could upgrade it to 6.0.8 and add some additional content.

Its a start maybe?

• Like 2

On 1/15/2023 at 12:23 PM, Atari8guy said:

It's a better start than I've been able to Google, I think step 5 listed here: http://obsolescenceguaranteed.blogspot.com/2013/04/atari-st-ultrasatan-spectre-mac.html is a good way to image the partition?

That looks liek the solution to move Mac programs to the ST Spectre partition :) - Ill have to give it a go when I get some free time, thanks for the link

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 12:09 PM, Goochman said:

They sold 2 versions - the 128 cart and the GCR cart.  Only difference is the GCR Cart could connect to your ST disk drive and read Mac 800k disks in it.  If you have the GCR hooked up and an original 800k Mac Disk with System 6 on it you should be able to boot Spectre with the Mac disk and then tranfser the System files to you HD partition and boot from there.

I was looking at this but it is missing the cable https://www.ebay.com/itm/325496516846?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7ATdF0V5RYq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=7ATdF0V5RYq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Can you still use the transformer and other non gcr disks with this cart? Is the cable a standard floppy cable?

1 hour ago, 7bits said:

I was looking at this but it is missing the cable https://www.ebay.com/itm/325496516846?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7ATdF0V5RYq&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=7ATdF0V5RYq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Can you still use the transformer and other non gcr disks with this cart? Is the cable a standard floppy cable?

Yeh standard Atari floppy cable.

All software can be got off the net including transverter software, here is one source :

https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19208

also :

https://web.archive.org/web/20090807065819/http://www.geocities.com/clu-da-bard/spectreatari.html

Edited by JamesWD

5 hours ago, JamesWD said:

Some HD image files that can be used within Spectre Software that has Mac OS pre-installed.

https://www.savagetaylor.com/downloads/downloads-macintosh/

The manual is a work of art, take you time to read it, brilliant work by Dave Small

Looks like there are some images we can work with here.  Not sure if you have completed the procedure but Im a bit lost on the instructions.

We need a volume disk (a 2GB volume disk and 32mb volume disk are provided at the site above).  Softmac can work with Volume disks.  Basilisk II works with the drive Disk format which the site above has the same image copies with 6.0.8

SHould we connect the 2gb drive disk to Basilik II and load it with whatever 68k Mac stuff we want and the attach that to Softmac with the Volume drive and copy it over to the VOlume drive?  Form there we can image an SD card with the volume drive and attach that to Spectre.

Do I have the steps correct there?

Any reason why we would just use SoftMac and the Volume drive to do everything?

Also - anyone know if we can use a 2GB image with Spectre?  Anyone have a 100MB Volume image to wrok from?

Working through Softmac its not easy..........I can boot the 608 boot dsk but couldnt seem to attach the 2GB file.  I was able to create a new 250MB image within Softmac, but had to initialize it in order for it to show up on my Mac.

Hopefully getting close to moving content to this 250MB image and then trying it on my ST with Spectre :)

It appears the 2GB images wont load on the "CLassic Mac" emulation in Softmac.

Anyone have a link to a good site of Mac .dsk images to work with Softmac?

Edited by Goochman
  • Like 1

You've got farther than me with Softmac - I've been struggling to get the HD to show.  Of course, I've yet to read the manual.  :)  

I would think a 250 MB image would be pretty good, I doubt the 2GB file is going to work easily.    Come the weekend I'll have more time to fiddle, but I watch your progress with great interest.

I've been getting stuff from archive.org and macgarden mostly.  It's all in various forms.

Edited by Atari8guy
To mention where I get disk images

I havent gotten .image files to work with softmac but .dsk files work.

Here is my 250mb image with 6.0.8 that works with softmac - would be interesting if someone could test burning this to an SD card and seeing if Spectre can read it - my Mega2 is buried right now so I cant test

608_250MB_volume.zip

• Like 1

With these instructions I got Basilisk II running:

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/articles/97-running-basilisk-ii-emulator-for-the-first-time 

I was able to attch my volume above and then open that volume in Softmac.

I havent found a way to open .img files - I have a collection of those and would rather not download individual .sit files that may or may not work.  Havent found a place with .dsk images which Softmac can work with.  Basilisk II is nice since I can look at my HD from within Mac mode and attempt to move files over.  Painfully slow.

When trying to mount .dsk images in Basilisk II it tells me I need to setup the Appleshare server - anyone know what that is inside Basilisk II?

• 1 month later...

So Im finally getting back to this in a limited fashion.  I presume no one has tried to transfer my 250MB posted above?  I got a few 32GB SDHC cards and hopefully will find time in the near future to setup my Mega2 and Spectre to see if my image will mount.

On a second topic can anyone open the image attached below in any Mac emu on the PC?  I got a collection of these .IMG files but I havent been able to open them in BasilikII or Softmac.

Fonts Galore Mac IMG.zip

It worked!  I cant believe it!  That 250MB .dsk mounted right up in Spectre!  Who'd a thunk!  We have a reliable mechanism to move files between the ST and PC for our little Macs now!

I have 1 problem not sure others have seen - would be helpful if someone could post the latest Spectre software on a Gotek image so I can try that.  When I try to launch Spectre from the GUI it tells me the ROMs are not found.  If I use the LAUNH.PRG program it runs just fine.  I must have something corrupt and would like a fresh copy of the software if someone has it on a Gotek image.

One other request - anyone know of a place with a Mac .dsk archive?  You can PM me in the right direction that would be great.  Id like to fill up my 250mb partition now :)

Also,

Since my new SD card works just fine in the UltraSatan I am going to leave my existing Spectre partition as the boot HD and my new 250MB as sort of a data drive :)

I currently have System 6.0.4 with Finder 6.1.4 - Ive heard 6.0.8 has sound problems - does anyone have a link to 6.0.7?  What about the Finder version, is that just embedded in the System file?

This site has a variety of system 6 disk images:

https://winworldpc.com/product/mac-os-0-6/system-6x 

Edited by Goochman

On 1/18/2023 at 8:20 PM, Goochman said:

I havent gotten .image files to work with softmac but .dsk files work.

Here is my 250mb image with 6.0.8 that works with softmac - would be interesting if someone could test burning this to an SD card and seeing if Spectre can read it - my Mega2 is buried right now so I cant test

608_250MB_volume.zip 3.71 MB · 9 downloads

Tested on my STe today.  

MAC.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 4:33 PM, Goochman said:

I currently have System 6.0.4 with Finder 6.1.4 - Ive heard 6.0.8 has sound problems - does anyone have a link to 6.0.7?  What about the Finder version, is that just embedded in the System file?

This site has a variety of system 6 disk images:

https://winworldpc.com/product/mac-os-0-6/system-6x 

I think the sound problem is just no sound...lol.  I don't have any with 6.0.8 but I couldn't find 6.0.7 either

Man, Soft Mac is a pain in the $##!  All I want to do is add a few things to your nice 250mb hard disk file and Softmac throws all kinds of chaos into the mix, everything from the mouse pointer seeming to exist in 2 places at once, to my not being able to reboot the emulated mac from within the program, I have to exit and start over.  I also cannot change a floppy disk without a wholesale reboot...

Regardless, I found 6.0.7... 

Apple Mac OS 6.0.7 (3.5-800k).7z

• Like 1