4. The Rescue Expedition
5. Berks Four
6. Star Vagrant
7. Castle Defender
8. Jet Set Willy 2019
9. Imogen
10. Monty on the Run

• Like 1

of the 79 programs, it is impossible to me to make up a list of the top 10.

why?

I wasn't able at all to thoroughly test them all.

Comparing my humble and rather simple "Full House Poker" to gems like "Castle defender", "Another Pong" or other superb examples of programming excellence would be like comparing coal to diamonds.

I am absolutely astonished that so much software is still produced after so many years, and I give my unlimited respect to all programmers contributing to this.

No matter how "perfect" your software is, it it the spirit that counts. Keep on the good work everyone!

• Like 1

1. Rescue Expedition, The

2. Castle Defender

3. Abyssus

4. Great Green Adventure 2 Prologue

5. Imogen

6. Adventure Ponies

7. Moon Patrol Redux

8. Train 3

9. Wasteland

10. Star Vagrant

There are some games, I´ve never heard of before and now wish I would have had more time for playing them, as that might have given it a better place in my list. Awesome, how many great games still are being produced for the Atari 8 Bit after all the years. Keep on coding!

• Like 2

All of the entries I was able to play were pretty great, so I weighted my scores with the following criteria: 1) game mechanics 1.5) innovation or sheer ballsiness 2) controls (how easy was the game to learn? To play? Were the controls intuitive, or did it take time to figure things out, especially when text is in Polish?) 3) graphics 4) music 5) packaging, which is big for me, but given minor consideration given the fact that so few entries had it, and 6) replay value.

1. The Rescue Expedition. While I've never really loved Pitfall-esque games, I have to say the unusual graphical environment really won me over. I've never quite seen monsters like this -- those spiders! -- and the main player, half-defined by shadows, is really well done. The user interface is also intuitive and easy to use...although I've been eaten by a few monsters when trying to switch from rope to whip. And -- as a major plus -- the packaging is beautifully done. Okay, I guess that means I lied about giving packaging a "minor" consideration.

2. Realsports Curling. Yes, it was already released for the 5200, but I think it will have a better home on the home computer line (and probably more exposure). There are lots of great things about this game, including gaming physics and the dual display for closeup as well as long cameras, and this game is pretty much unique to any computer system -- who else was gifted with a curling game? This is actually lots of fun, and I'm going to show it to my daughter's curling team. And I'm not just saying these nice things because the Canadian national anthem plays during the opening credits. One beef: I found the colours of the stones to be somewhat hard to see when played. 

EDIT: okay, game reinstated after reading +Adam+'s comment below.

I'm going to leave the following comment below, even though it belongs in "random thoughts". I'm having a problem with cutting-and-pasting.

Mini Bros. BASIC ten-liner? Mind blown! The fact that the author not only said "I'm going to do Mario Bros. in ten lines! and in BASIC!",  but also managed to pull it off, is such an inspiration to anyone (like me) who has ever thought of trying to program anything. And isn't that the most amazing thing that can come from these contests -- inspiring others to think about creating their own projects no matter the obstacle? I can't give this the number one spot because it's just too hard to play well, and it's up against really tough competition. This really is remarkable, though.

3. Jet Set Willy 2019. This port really is completely spot-on and a loving tribute to the Spectrum original. And the crowds cheered as they finally forgot the crushing disappointment of the Tynesoft port for the A8!

4. Monty on the Run. I never heard of this one before playing the A8 port...but did go back and look at the C64 and Spectrum originals afterward. I just love seeing older games come to the A8 with such fidelity to the original versions. Seeing the A8 mimic the Spectrum's colour palette and resolution is simply amazing, and the game itself is lots of fun. Controls are also spot-on, which is a must for a game that relies upon precision movement and timing.

5. Adventure Ponies. Isn't this game supposed to be for children? Pretty, candy-coloured death awaits you.

6. Imogen. So pretty! I really appreciated the graphical theme, which was a nice change from the usual sci-fi/monster elements. Loved the control bar and innovative (for its time) gameplay.

7. Gravity Worms, for the humour and gfx. The worm’s design is great, and the gaming mechanics are pretty spot-on as well. I found controls to be tricky and my Wico unresponsive, so I couldn’t get very far. I love puzzlers, though.

8. Millionaire. This is a beautiful, beautiful port...of a game show I absolutely hate. I should place it higher, but can't get past the gameshow origins.

9. Moon Patrol Redux. This game really has been improved. I went back and forth to the original release, and this is clearly superior. This is still a solid game at its core, and this update will encourage me to play more of it.

10. 601F, because...WTF? I still have no real idea how to play this, but it's so...intriguing! I love the concept, even if it brutally hard. Or maybe I'm just dense. I also really appreciated the level design feature.

I was going to give this spot to Mr. Hoppe, which is great, but I can't seem to get a handle on the controls. Mr. Crashe is what I am when I play this game.

Random thoughts:

-10 spots isn't enough. I didn't even get to list Star Vagrant or Dungeon Hunt II or License Plates or even Joyas, and it's not because they aren't good enough.

-I LOVE Rampart, and think that Castle Defender will be great fun for me, but I ran out of time and only put in ten minutes with it, so I didn’t think it was fair to rank it this way. I also didn't get the physical packages for Dungeon Hunt II (got it yesterday) and Star Vagrant (on its way) in time for voting, and I didn't want to rate the digital copies without looking at the overall packaging, because of all the effort that went in to that -- if that makes sense.

-I also think we need a category for BASIC games. And a special new prize for gaming humour, because Blocks on Legs: First Steps made me giggle.

-that Caveman-during-the Inquisition vertical scroller is just something else.  I was mesmerized by the  playfield graphics: it was like playing a game inside a lava lamp. If a game could win an award one graphic element, this would be my pick. I don’t have a Polish dictionary yet, so I couldn’t read the instructions...

6 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

2. Realsports Curling. Yes, it was already released for the 5200, but I think it will have a better home on the home computer line (and probably more exposure). There are lots of great things about this game, including gaming physics and the dual display for closeup as well as long cameras, and this game is pretty much unique to any computer system -- who else was gifted with a curling game? This is actually lots of fun, and I'm going to show it to my daughter's curling team. And I'm not just saying these nice things because the Canadian national anthem plays during the opening credits. One beef: I found the colours of the stones to be somewhat hard to see when played. 

EDIT: just found out that this is ineligible, which is really unfortunate, as I love this game. That said, I'm going to replace it with:

It's not ineligible in Kaz Kompo! You are probably confusing Kaz Kompo rules and ZeroPage Homebrew's Atari Awards rules.

• Like 1

The results of the 12th Kaz Kompo edition have been announced on AtariOnline.pl :)

This year we had a unique situation in the history of Kaz Kompos, the fourth place was just one point lower than the third place. After long discussions we (i.e. Kaz, Rastan, Caesar and me) decided that also the game from the fourth place deserves the "bronze medal".

Thanks to the games creators, who keep Atari 8-bit alive - there were 79 entries from year 2019.

In total, we accepted 87 votes from many countries, a record in Kaz Kompo history. We'd like to thank you for that, we're happy that KK reflects the different tastes of people from different parts of the world.

This is the top ten games list of year 2019 for Atari 8-bit - congratulations!

1. The Rescue Expedition - 530 points

Created by: Kamil "Gorgh" Trzaska, Michał "Caruso" Brzezicki, Krzysztof "Kaz" Ziembik

kk2019_1st.jpg

TheRescueExpedition_(p1).png

TheRescueExpedition_(p3).png

2. Gravity Worms - 420 points

Created by: Krzysztof "xxl" Dudek, Kamil "Vidol" Walaszek, Jakub "Aceman" Szeląg

kk2019_2nd.jpg

Gravity_Worms_(p1).png

Gravity_Worms_(p3).png

3. Castle Defender - 328 points

Created by Martin "MatoSimi" Simeček, Piotr "Piesiu" Radecki, Michał "stRing" Radecki

kk2019_3rd.jpg

ABBUC_2019_Castle_Defender_(p0).png

ABBUC_2019_Castle_Defender_(p1).png

3. Wasteland - 327 points

Created by Michael Jaskula

kk2019_3rd.jpg

Wasteland_(p1).png

Wasteland_(p3).png

5. Monty on the Run - 312 points

Monty_on_the_Run_(p5).png

6. Star Vagrant - 231 points

Star_Vagrant_(p6).png

7. Great Green Adventure 2: Prologue - 209 points

Great_Green_Adventure_2_Prologue_(p2).pn

8. Moon Patrol Redux - 208 points

Moon_Patrol_redux_(p2).png

8. Jet Set Willy 2019 - 208 points

Jet_Set_Willy_2019_(p3).png

10. Fruity Pete - 184 points

Fruity_Pete_(p2).png

Edited by +Adam+
clarification
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The second part of the list:

11. Adventure Ponies, 176
12. Abyssus, 174
13. Mister Hoppe, 164
14. Berks Four, 148
15. Imogen, 145
16. Dungeon Hunt II, 126
17. Block on Legs: First Steps, 92
18. Last Disk +, The, 80
19. Eel Ecurb, 67
20. Space Fortress Omega, 65
21. Millionaire (Czech version), 50
22. Deszczownik, 49
23. Lord of the Orb XaVeR 2019, 47
24. 601F, 30
25. Boulder Dash Mugen 21, 21
26. Borek in ASCII World, 18
27. New Year Girls, 17
28. Popeye Hack, 15
29. Train 3, 14
30. Multi 10, 13
31. Realsports Curling, 11
31. Novawolf, 11
33. Joyas, 10
34. Animal Keeper, 9
34. Floody Bot, 9
36. Jaskiniowiec w czasach Inkwizycji, 8
36. Mini Bros, 8
36. My Home, My Space, My Planet, 8
39. Last Disk, The, 7
39. Bouncy, 7
41. Bocianoric, 6
41. Old Mansion / Stary dom, 6
41. Lander, 6
44. Robbo After 30 Years, 5
45. Another Pong, 4
45. Circle of Richness M4, 4
45. UFO Attack!, 4
48. Full House Poker, 3
48. Missile 10, 3
48. Tre Robbo 53, 3
51. Ruczajowa proza życia, 2
51. Hubbub, 2
51. Wiedźmin Wiesiek, 2
54. Poke Pig, 1
54. Bomber, 1
54. Borek Stworek z Tworek, 1
54. Bounce & Catch, 1
54. Pixelated Puzzle, 1
59. Neverending Sorry, 0
59. Missile, 0
59. Kostky M8, 0
59. Mini Kaboom, 0
59. License Plates, 0
59. Fruit Machine, 0
59. Robbo Galtron, 0
59. Dragon Trainer, 0
59. Shootout 2 M4, 0
59. Space Arena 16K, 0
59. Defence, 0
59. ReactorX, 0
59. Bugs Fight M4, 0
59. Mouse Mervin, 0
59. Tre Robbo 54 Kraina Śrubek 2, 0
59. Tutoris, 0
59. Jaskinia City Quest, 0
59. Vader’s Last Stand, 0
59. Moj Mikro Asteroids, 0
59. Nailrace Pak, 0
59. Yahtzee M8, 0

Here you may find the summary of all votes.

Prize draw among voters coming soon, more details on AtariOnline.pl :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1