IGNORED

2600 Cartridge enclosure replacement

Marcel_X

I am working on a PCB for an Atari 2600. This will be a card with a USB connector, so I can upload binary files to it to test homebrew games. So I don't have to erase an EEPROM, reprogram it and sticking it back into a PCB with a socket. I call it the ROMulator ? Not sure if a similar thing already exists, but I thought it could be useful.

Anyway, I have placed the PCB temporarily in a cartridge that I took apart. But I am looking for a source where I can buy replacement cartridge enclosures. Aliexpress is filled with replacement cartridge enclosures for SNES and Gameboy, but I haven't been able to find a source for the 2600 cartridges. Anyone knows where I can find these?

Cartridge.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

I believe there is one guy in Europe, who has done them, they are around $5 though.  I'll see if I can find it.

$5,- sounds reasonable I guess. Would be great if you can find it.

11 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Let me guess, the 3 chips on the bottom, are level shifters.

Close ?! They are buffers that disconnect the memory from the Atari while a new BIN file is uploaded. Hope to post a video soon to show how it works.

6 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

In regard to the mutable cartridge concept, there's the Harmony cartridge.  It takes an SD card and you can load a bunch of ROMs on it.  It presents a menu when you first turn on the console.

Yes, I've seen that one. Seems like a neat cartridge indeed!

I recently started coding for the 2600 and just liked the idea of not having to swap EPROMs, EEPROMS, SDs or flash in and out of a cartridge. So that is the idea behind the ROMulator.

4 hours ago, Marcel_X said:

Yes, I've seen that one. Seems like a neat cartridge indeed!

I recently started coding for the 2600 and just liked the idea of not having to swap EPROMs, EEPROMS, SDs or flash in and out of a cartridge. So that is the idea behind the ROMulator.

That was my design for the 7800 MCP as well, which is now in a whole other world.

I'll find that guy.

Your cart is very cool and I just loved your inverted paddle Atari logo ?!

Once I have started a similar project using a wireless modules. Never finished it, though. Nevertheless I have designed a selectable bankswitch that might be useful just in case you haven't provided it already by sofware (as in UNOcart).

26 minutes ago, Danjovic said:

Your cart is very cool and I just loved your inverted paddle Atari logo ?!

Once I have started a similar project using a wireless modules. Never finished it, though. Nevertheless I have designed a selectable bankswitch that might be useful just in case you haven't provided it already by sofware (as in UNOcart).

Thanks!

I may have come across your design! Is that the one with the 7400 logic? You never made a prototype? Looked like you were almost there.

My current version does not have any bankswitching (yet...). Probably the next iteration. I was thinking of doing that with a PLD, but 74LS logic is more readily available I guess. Did you test the bankswitching?

Want to get this thing working properly first with some additional PC/Mac software.

I can always use good feedback or ideas!

3 hours ago, Marcel_X said:

Thanks!

I may have come across your design! Is that the one with the 7400 logic? You never made a prototype? Looked like you were almost there.

My current version does not have any bankswitching (yet...). Probably the next iteration. I was thinking of doing that with a PLD, but 74LS logic is more readily available I guess. Did you test the bankswitching?

Want to get this thing working properly first with some additional PC/Mac software.

I can always use good feedback or ideas!

I didn't have a chance to test my bankswitching scheme yet. I intend to make a prototype soon, along with some other retro related projects :). 

Depending upon the speed of your processor it might be possible to implement bankswitching in software, and emulate RAM chips.