IGNORED

The review of A-Z of Atari ST Games Volume 3 book RetroLaird is trying to delete!

These are the couple of videos that Kieren Hawken is desperately trying to delete from the internet. It seems that RetroLaird can't handle the kind of review he dishes out to the rest of us, and is under some kind of delusion that he can play Whack-A-Mole with these videos forever. The YouTube links have been removed for now, but will be back once RetroLaird loses his copyright strike attempt via the dispute process.

For those that missed them first time around:

RetroLaird reviewing his own book (11:32) on DailyMotion.
Updated and more detailed book review (15:09) on DailyMotion.

Galahad uploaded the updated book review on YouTube with an additional intro message stating that RetroLaird was abusing the DMCA takedown process and risked losing his channel if he struck the video. Kieren ignored the warning and issued a copyright strike. Kieren's claim was eventually dismissed, and with extra strikes on his channel after he was caught stealing gameplay footage, his channel is now gone. The video was returned to YouTube on February 19th.

If you wish to download these videos, a link to WeTransfer was uploaded on February 1st (now expired) containing 3 videos:

1. The original video of Kieren reviewing his own book (78Mb)
2. The updated, much more detailed video review (110Mb)
3. The updated version with an intro stating RetroLaird is abusing the DMCA takedown process (60Mb)

Many people have downloaded the files and may be willing to upload it if you really want them and ask nicely in the thread!

If you're new to this thread, we suggest beginning with this post from Craig Turner (Mr.T), founder of Revival Retro Events in the UK:

Here's an index of the more notable posts in this thread.  Last updated 2020-03-02:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I had an email today saying thanks for helping in making this video.

I can assure you I didn't help out on the video as I don't want anything to do with Mr Hawken at all.

If he wants to write books that are basically Wikipedia in psychical form then good for him.

I can only say that I won't be buying anything he publishes.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 3:46 PM, morcar said:

Good point

And well made unlike the publication under review 

Very telling isn't it, now the gentleman in question doesn't have the resources available to him when he was submitting articles to RetroGamer Magazine,  the grammar and punctuation alone screams out for an editor.

The inability to match the screenshot with stated number of bases that protect you in Ace Invaders,  that literally killed me :-)) 

So many people have had bad reviews at the hands of this gentleman, looks like lady karma has rolled a hard 6 on him here.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, davidmt said:

When you say "bad reviews", do you mean like feedback on YouTube videos? I'm just curious as I don't know much about his history. 

If you know the long and sordid history of the "gentleman" in question, you'll know that as soon as he falls out with you, he suddenly finds time to "review" your work on YouTube, and post links to it everywhere he can.

• Like 1

After Kieren received a copyright strike today for stealing footage from his 50 PET games video, I thought he might need cheering up. Kieren filed a copyright strike against the earlier video on the Lynx God channel, so it's been re-edited with an additional 5 minutes of footage. The review is much more in-depth and thorough.

YouTube video

DailyMotion video

WeTransfer video download (110Mb)

Remembering what Kieren did last time, please download and disseminate the links and files in as many places as possible. Consider the video public domain freeware, that you can do whatever you like with.

Edited by RetroLiar
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, davidmt said:

When you say "bad reviews", do you mean like feedback on YouTube videos? I'm just curious as I don't know much about his history. 

I will let his own work speak for him:

Sega Mega Visions took a battering,  curious this happened after they declined his offer of being a guest writer for the publication.. 

Chris Wilkins became a victim,  oddly enough just after Chris cancelled the planned Thalamus book, this gentleman had written guest articles for.

Same gentleman had been quite happy to promote an earlier work by Chris (Dizzy book) in fact going as far as to make the claim he'd actually written large chunks of it.

But when it came to something this gentleman was not involved in, oh my:

And if you spend any time (which you will never get back :-)))  looking at a few of the gentlemans ahem,book reviews, a few patterns stand out.

If said gentleman was involved in it, in any shape,manner or form, it's amazing, any errors etc given a free pass.

If he is not involved,  it's minor faults are exaggerated, it's poorly researched etc

You'll also notice some familiar voices in the comments sections

Beast666 and Forza 77

You can draw your own conclusions from what they say and play a little drinking game if you pop over to Amazon.co.uk and look up book reviews by Retro Girl and my oh my, she must be cut from same cloth as Forza 77.

Same Volcabulary, same likes (this gentlemans books) and same dislikes (Chris Wilkins books).

What are the chances :-)) 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, RetroLiar said:

After Kieren received a copyright strike today for stealing footage from his 50 PET games video, I thought he might need cheering up. Kieren filed a copyright strike against the earlier video on the Lynx God channel, so it's been re-edited with an additional 5 minutes of footage. The review is much more in-depth and thorough.

YouTube video

DailyMotion video

WeTransfer video download (110Mb)

Remembering what Kieren did last time, please download and disseminate the links and files in as many places as possible. Consider the video public domain freeware, that you can do whatever you like with.

:-)) 

Let me get this straight.

The gentleman in question who allegedly reported that P.R lady for Octav1us Kitten (i really don't follow these social media influencer types)  and thus the entire Horacegate saga kicked off, for copyright issues/improper use of his book publishers I.P (or is it? :-)) nobody really seems sure what Paul Andrews bought, including Andrews himself)... 

Went and used somebody else's video footage for one of his own videos? 

But isn't he banging the Patreon drum asking people to sign up and donate so he can make ORIGINAL content videos? 

Ohhh the irony.

I watched the video.

Literally roaring with laughter throughout. 

I'm assuming at this point your 'connected' to Chris Wilkins (some less than subtle clues in the video) and this is a return favour for Kieren reviewing Fusion Magazine in manner he did.

He who lives by the sword and all that.

I bought both the Ocean and US Gold books.

Wasn't that impressed by the Ocean one to be honest.

Far too much old content for a regular Retro Gamer and Gamestm reader like myself.

Constant references to the bloody building being an old Quaker building,  interviews allowed folk to slander old bosses etc off, far too often. 

And if GTW could find out about Tiertex and Lynx/Panther Strider II, Chris should of been able to do the same.

However..

The US Gold book was a vast improvement and appears to of listened to critiscm raised on the Ocean book. 

And all joking aside,that's what the gentleman in question here needs to do.

Put the brakes on these Guides, listen to points being raised, understand paid-for work, even at this pulp press price, comes with expected standards and improve his work, rather than put time into doing YT reviews of others.

You talk of doing more video reviews of his books.

2020 will not be dull if anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

;-) Hmnn..

Your current video and the one before used this one as a base pos

Which widens the scope somewhat of whom you might be connected with.

But the less than the  price of a pint comment comes from this video:

And the gentleman picks up on the most minor of errors..

Or are you actually a Film Maker and were not impressed by his review of your film? 

(looks like he's being held at gunpoint in this one and picking your nose on camera..really?) 

And there's also this one:

(complete with more playing with his face bonus content)

Or even this one:

Strong suggestion people behind it took money from publishers to feature so much modern music..

And isn't it wise to do a script before doing a video? 

Not being able to remember names (the music events are Back In Time Live Sir) 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Thanks 1

An update for everyone. Kieren has now reported the re-uploaded 'A-Z of Atari ST Games Volume 3' book review video for copyright infringement, even though it is nothing more than a detailed book review - much like his own reviews. You can still view the videos on DailyMotion and the WeTransfer link still works:

Original review on DailyMotion

Updated 15 minute long video on DailyMotion

WeTransfer download of the updated 15 minute long video

If anybody wishes to upload the video themselves to YouTube, please feel free to do so. If there are multiple copies on various YouTube accounts and Kieren tries to strike them all down, he risks losing his own channel if YouTube agrees with his false claims. This would be a battle that he cannot win in the long term.

Kieren Hawken has already had a copyright strike in the last couple of days for stealing the 50 PET Games video footage, so he will be very worried. He stole the videos from Kim Moser's site. All the video clips on Kim's site are tagged at the bottom with his webpage address, but Kieren simply cropped that part out and stole the footage then monitized the video.

View all Kim Moser's videos that Kieren Hawken stole

The video that Kieren Hawken stole in the attached tweet is called Ouranos

The video that Kieren Hawken stole from Kim on YouTube with Kim's copyright message at the bottom (go to 45 second mark)

After being exposed on Twitter, Kieren deleted the video from his channel to avoid the copyright message showing up on the tweet. But a screenshot shows the video was taken down for copyright infringement and not from Kieren choosing to remove the video.

kierencopyright2.jpg

kierencopyright1.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know the copyright laws on YT,but would the gentleman mentioned not have to provide legal evidence the material used in the book reviews he's had taken down was his? 

And would Chris Wilkins not be able to file the same claim with regards the gentlemans own review of Fusion Magazine? 

That's before anyone started looking into what the gentleman offers as giveaways on his Patreon account.. 

Yes, if you file a counterclaim on the video, the accuser has to prove they own it. Which, of course, in this case, he can't. And then youtube look very badly upon the false claimant. 

So, please, file the counterclaims.  And Kieren (you are reading this) - keep on issueing takedowns.

• Like 4

The assumption here, or at least part of it, is that because Mr Hawken had a pop at Chris Wilkins, then he is somehow behind this attack on Mr Hawken?

If an attack by Kieren brings about retaliation, then it would also be easier to say that this video could be by one of a thousand people, yes?
Those with any sense, pay little or no attention to his claims, attacks or general blatherings.
He is, and again it is those with sense who know this only too well, a minor irritant with ideas infinitely beyond his station and or grasp who is simply a simpleton bleating in the wilderness.
Best leave him to his delusions.

• Like 1

Very, very interesting. 

I did think the burden of proof would lie with the accuser. 

YT seem quite clear on the rules regarding false reporting:

Do not make false claims. Misuse of this process may result in the suspension of your account or other legal consequences.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 4

Hmmmn

The gentleman and copyright issues sitting in a tree..read comments section on this video that he was supposed to of removed 12 months ago:

Turns into the league of gentlemen with 2 other gentleman getting involved, as they often do, to defend the gentleman in question, but why would you do that unless you were the gentleman? 

It could give Kevin a run for the money

Edited by Lost Dragon

Regarding the topic of constructive criticism regarding others work.

I was very vocal over the mistakes i feel Luca at Unseen64 made with the Unseen64 book (a project I assisted with in a very minor role)  the use of black and white photos, text running down the sides of photos,unwise choice of writer for the Jaguar chapter (and not the gentleman in question here either :-))) 

I ended up parting ways with the Atari Visual History book project over personal concerns over directions taken and do not have a copy of either publication. 

I have criticised Stuart Ashens for choices he made in his Terrible Old Games and Attack Of The Flickering Skeletons books (still own both), Nostalgia Nerd for some school boy errors in his book.

Been very critical of the Chris Wilkins book on Ocean Software.. 

But these individuals took the critiscm extremely well, Chris going as far as to up his game with the History of US GOLD Book.

Magazine editors were always a lot more sensitive, both RetroGamer Magazine and Gamestm, but when your having articles that upset industry figures like Jim Sachs or you willingly allow yourselves to be used by likes of Jane Whittaker,  you deserve nothing but contempt.

I've pointed out where Sam Dyer messed up by using Nintendo imagery without permission and where i feel his books have been dissapointing and how imagery often doesn't work, I could even go as far as to say the entire Visual Compendium style he appears to be making his own, was actually born from the likes of PUSH START,so it's rather ironic when he claims others have deliberately copied HIS style..

John Sczpaniek is another writer who's had my money, but his choices jar very much with my own.

Basically, no individual has the right to feel he or she is being made a target here.

Anyone putting themselves into the paid-for content arena, has to accept exactly what sort of scrutiny that brings and how sites like Amazon etc work.

You can't go plastering up a big backdrop of names you have worked with, TV appearances etc and not expect the consumer to try your products without an expected degree of professionalism. 

Basic grammar and punctuation,  reasonable amounts of fact checking for low end products, say digital publications under £5

Professional proof readers,editors, fact checkers etc used for physical books above this.

You can't just take the :let's  slap together a collection of material  used on X and Y or planned to be  used for Z some time ago, here's a few FB interviews and if you liked this, i have at least another 12 volumes planned to cover formats i am well known for slagging off,  approach and cry foul when people kick off.

You can't start demanding sites like Amazon pull reviews or have your mates start saying it's so unfair.

Your out in the big wide world now, competing with an awful lot of folk doing exactly what you can do and have been doing it a lot longer and far better. 

I'm going to end by saying that, for anyone reading this thread, thinking it's victimisation, it's only a few spelling mistakes, it's only 1, cheap digital book.

My humble advice, try a few others by the same gentleman. 

Get him to explain the C64 Victory Road Review

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_A_Z_of_Commodore_64_Games_Volume_2.html?id=LhWMDwAAQBAJ

A title that despite 2 attempts by Ocean Software, was never completed, a title of which the respected Lost Games site, GTW has only managed to recover a loading screen from:

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/victory-road-uk-version/

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_A_Z_of_Atari_Jaguar_Games_Volume_2.html?id=NBWMDwAAQBAJ

Yet the gentleman here is claiming to of played to the point of being able to review. 

Also ask yourself how big an ego does an author require,to put his own "work" (a collection of free to view Saturn,3DO, SNES/MD and PC CD footage) in a supposed Jaguar Games Guide and score it as he has..a full 10 /10

Yes Nine Lives was deemed suitable for review:

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_A_Z_of_Atari_Jaguar_Games_Volume_2.html?id=NBWMDwAAQBAJ

Have a look at his Atari 8 bit reviews and then compare them to those archived from the 2013 Atari Gamer Magazine publication :

https://www.mobygames.com/mobyrank/source/sourceId,1854/

And be aware he was paid for those at the time and is now reusing them for his own paid-for publications. 

And this gentleman is out there talking of professional integrity and standards and banging the research and creative freedom to write, drums as loud as he can.

This and a whole lot more is why his books are under such scrutiny. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

And WTF is up with this sh#t? :-)) 

October 2019 saw the user known as Beast666 (wonder if he's from da south :-)) ) Troll nature aside, at least post in a coherent fashion..

But November 2019-to-present, it's all:

Wiv

Da

Monies

octovos 

Groop

Has he suffered a stroke?

I fear it must be this as nobody is that stupid to think this could act as a distancing manoeuvre. 

I would also strongly advise people looking at the gentlemans reviews of any Capcom Conversions in the Atari ST A to Z Guides Volume 1 to 3, to check out his feature on Capcom's ST conversions he did for Atari User Magazine, Issue 25, volume 3 and compare the reviews for both. 

Material his to do with such as he pleases,  but people should be well aware exactly what they are paying to read. 

These publications have not been written from scratch.