IGNORED

The review of A-Z of Atari ST Games Volume 3 book RetroLaird is trying to delete!

31 minutes ago, Welshworrier said:

For your further delectation... 

This is how you get banned from his groups and get called a strangely familiar snowflake phrase (okay retrogamerssuck?) 

We then get into another technical discussion on rayman versions which comes down to the "you are wrong"  followed by the "no, you ARE wrong" defence. 

Screenshot_20200403_115515.jpg

Screenshot_20200403_114944.jpg

Ah, John Linneman, the same guy who hyped PS5 new SSD technolgy (in a DF video) as groundbreaking and stated the OPPOSITE on twitter? ;-)

Edited by agradeneu

More nonsense that never happened.

There was no "shouting at the Oliver Twins" and nobody was "kiked out".
Where the "disgrase" comes in is anyone's guess, but no doubt it exists in the turgid miasma between Kieren's ears.

If his retro-journalistic career doesn't pick up, there's certainly a job waiting for him at either the Sunday Sport or the National Enquirer.

2020-04-03_16-03-34.png

• Like 2

With spelling that bad, it has to be our friend Keeeeeeeerinnnn.

I wish I had an auto spell / grammar check option before reading his posts.  Honestly, they give me a sore head.

I think I can now tell when he is at his angriest, when the venom is pouring out....the worst are when he must be bashing away so fast (oh err missus) the Queens English seems to vanish into oblivion.

But honestly, those posts....ignoring their actual content per se, the grammar......from someone who derives their income from writing......I mean....wow.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LostInThePast said:

With spelling that bad, it has to be our friend Keeeeeeeerinnnn.

I wish I had an auto spell / grammar check option before reading his posts.  Honestly, they give me a sore head.

I think I can now tell when he is at his angriest, when the venom is pouring out....the worst are when he must be bashing away so fast (oh err missus) the Queens English seems to vanish into oblivion.

But honestly, those posts....ignoring their actual content per se, the grammar......from someone who derives their income from writing......I mean....wow.

Nah, this is his attempt at obfuscation.
Rite badlee an itz annuver person.
See how easy that was?
Mustn't have been me.
Must have been hacked. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, LostInThePast said:

With spelling that bad...

the grammar......from someone who derives their income from writing......I mean....wow.

Publisher
A traditional publisher will review the content, proof read, sort all spelling and grammar mistakes. Edit the text and lay it out in a compelling and interesting way. They will add the images and do a professional job of producing a book people want to read.

You can self publish. That is legitimate, as long as your proof read and edit the book to a decent standard.

Vanity press

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A vanity press, vanity publisher, or subsidy publisher is a publishing house in which authors pay to have their books published.[1] Where mainstream publishers aim to sell enough copies of a book to cover their own costs, and typically reject a majority of the books submitted to them, a vanity press will usually publish any book that a writer pays it to.

Because vanity presses are usually unselective, publication by a vanity press is typically not seen as conferring the same recognition or prestige as commercial publication.[2] Vanity presses do offer more independence for the author than do the mainstream publishing industry; however, their fees can be higher than the fees normally charged for similar printing services, and sometimes restrictive contracts are required.

While a commercial publisher's intended market is the general public, a vanity publisher's intended market is the author and a very small number of interested members of the general public. In some cases, authors of a book that is vanity published will buy a substantial number of copies of their book, so that they can give it away as a promotional tool

Oh yes I almost forgot

On 4/2/2020 at 4:12 PM, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

How on earth these beautiful mocked up images did not light a potential backer's fire is beyond me.

Was me being sarcastic. I think that preview looks terrible. 

Put together by a complete novice.

Kieren's mock up pages for his crowdfunded book looked like the now standard set up for these compedium books that are springing up.

"Box Art", screenshots and some descriptive paragraphs of text.

They were full colour, text didn't appear hard to read due to poor background colour used, i couldn't say the same for some RG magazine articles and other indie Retro books over the years.

Talking of the book, reading the illustrious ones interview :

"There will be close to 100 different reviews when it all said and done with around ¾ of them coming from me and then the rest being guest reviews from the likes of Guru Larry, Ashens, Nostalgia Nerd, Retro Man Cave, Octav1us Kitten, The British IBM and Mr. Biffo."

Would any of the named reading care to comment if they actually wrote any reviews and submitted them to Kieren and if so, on what terms?

We can hardly have Kieren saying he wrote for Chris Wilkins planned, then cancelled Thalamus book and thus is owed for said writing work, if people submitted reviews for Kieren's book that fell off the face of the earth at funding. 

I assume reviews would only of been written if funding had been successful,  but it'd be nice to get clarification. 

Also from said interview,  who exactly are these 'many of his peers' who assured Kieren they'd like to see him do a book dedicated to 8-bit budget games?

Espically after both RetroGamer and Gamestm magazines had done dedicated features on Codemasters and Mastertronic, Chris had done the Dizzy book..

• Like 1

Just had a read thru on that link above, and noticed this gem:

Did you ever have a go at writing any games?

I did actually for the BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum and Atari ST. I never got any further than using BASIC though and many of those projects are long gone. I did manage to recover a few disks of stuff that had been rotting in my dad’s loft though a few years back and that was really cool seeing those projects again, even if I didn’t even understand a lot of my own code!

I stand to be corrected, but didn't he claim something bizarre like he wrote Steve Davis Snooker for the 128k Spectrum?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lost Dragon said:

Also from said interview,  who exactly are these 'many of his peers' who assured Kieren they'd like to see him do a book dedicated to 8-bit budget games?

It's the usual false equivalence tack.

He uses the word "peers" to attach himself to their group i.e. He believes he is of the same standing as those mentioned earlier in his diatribe. 

From his earlier propaganda podcasts he says he was advised to get into the book and video production after a discussion with ashen and dj slopes. A "you know your stuff you should do it" discussion according to him. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LostInThePast said:

I did actually for the BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum and Atari ST. I never got any further than using BASIC though and many of those projects are long gone. I did manage to recover a few disks of stuff that had been rotting in my dad’s loft though a few years back and that was really cool seeing those projects again, even if I didn’t even understand a lot of my own code!

I stand to be corrected, but didn't he claim something bizarre like he wrote Steve Davis Snooker for the 128k Spectrum?

The original and now famous statement was he'd helped write numerous games with his uncle,for Firebird, Mastertronic and of course in Steve Davis case, CDS.

He then changed the Steve Davis claim to he'd written a hack for the 128K version.. 

And (years) later publically admitted he'd been a bellend and made the claim up.

Kieren's last statement on the matter:

I never claimed to write Steve Davis Snooker, I claimed to have written a hack for 128k machines but don't let that confuse the issue. Its also not all one sided as a moderator on AA went and edited my own posts to make me look bad and then banned me. This is why the entire Jaguar Sector II forum backed me up because they knew exactly what had been done. Especially after that site got hacked by idiots with nothing better to do. 

Cue claims of him being the victim and HACKERS :-)) making an appearance. 

Edited by Lost Dragon

1 hour ago, LostInThePast said:

He also claimed (on Little Green Desktop)  to have coded the following Atari ST P.D titles (actual coders listed):

Classic Invaders : Writen By D.J.Merrifield

Fruit Pursuit : Claimed by Richard Davey (Digital Dimension)

Quizmaster 1.2 : Writen by djtez (above)

Soccer Supremo : Writen almost certainly by the same author of two other sports titles ( which he hasnt claimed )

Space Thrust :  By Kay Downes

https://www.kaydownes.com/

These join the Steve Davis Snooker claim from the vintage era Kieren :-)) 

I did indeed agree to do a short piece for the book. I was delighted to be asked, and I felt awful for him when the campaign flopped. But now, after seeing the kind of stuff he was saying about me away from my earshot, I wonder why on earth he would have asked the talentless slut, which he believes me to be, to write for him. It's all very confusing.

In any case, I never wrote it. Not because I thought ill of him at the time - I had no clue about all this gubbins. I'm just, to be quite frank, utterly dreadful at delivering stuff because I sit on it for weeks due to anxiety and then it's too late. I was meant to write for Larry's book too, but that never happened for the same reason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Octav1us said:

I did indeed agree to do a short piece for the book. I was delighted to be asked, and I felt awful for him when the campaign flopped. But now, after seeing the kind of stuff he was saying about me away from my earshot, I wonder why on earth he would have asked the talentless slut, which he believes me to be, to write for him. It's all very confusing.

In any case, I never wrote it. Not because I thought ill of him at the time - I had no clue about all this gubbins. I'm just, to be quite frank, utterly dreadful at delivering stuff because I sit on it for weeks due to anxiety and then it's too late. I was meant to write for Larry's book too, but that never happened for the same reason.

You could always just copy and paste it from Wikipedia, nick someone else’s biased article, randomly change spelling and grammar so it reads like shit and pad it out with blank pages. Would take minutes that way and from what we’ve seen he’d be cool with that. If anyone criticises it you could blame it on a vanity publisher, and shill the reviews with your own Sooty, Sweep and Sue accounts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As a friend, sometimes colleague and other times advertising and PR adviser to Mr. Wilkins I have with the latter hat advised him to "stay the fck away" from posting on this thread.

However, it would seem some clarification may help on the subject of the infamous "Thalamus Book".

After the completion of the Amiga in Pixels book, Chris was casting around for the next project and I suggested a Thalamus book on the strengths that:
We knew the original owners, it would be popular with the c64 scene which has the largest retro base of the computers, it had arguably the best "style" of any games packaging at the time which would translate well to a slick looking book, and not least...we would have a free run at all the cover art, no questions asked :) (the latter didnt turn out to be quite the case but thats another story).

Anyway, Chris was firmly on the fence and so just said "sell it to me" so i produced several demo pages in a Thalamus style but to do it justice i needed some demo copy for the mockup game history pages.

Enter Mr Hawken...who was asked to produce some content (I didnt know it was him at the time).

Chris sent me Sanxion. Which i have to be honest i sent back with a remark like:

"you have to be kidding me? It's a copy and paste job that's full of factual inaccuracies, has no "soul" at all, and I seriously doubt the writer has ever played this game in their life"

He then sent it to Roger Kean who basically said "I agree with Steve"

To contrast this I used a Review/history of Hunter's Moon from Lemon64 by former ZZap editor Gordon Houghton written in the 2000s which was full of passion and detail about that game. I literally begged Gordon to write other pieces for the book but he wasnt interested alas. He did however agree to let us use the Hunter's piece for free.

Anyway, long story short Mat (Mayhem) Allen came on board and did a couple of speculative reviews/histories for free which were infinitely better than KH's attempts because Mat was writing about what he knew and was passionate about.
However the book came to nothing because about 4 months after it was first mooted, came the fateful day in the Ludlow Beer Garden with Roger and Ollie where we thrashed out the initial idea for the Crash and ZZap annuals...

Whats the point of all this bullshit you may ask????

Well the point is that KH was the ONLY one of us to get any money for this because Chris didnt want the aggro. The rest of the participants got not one cent because we all saw it as a "sales pitch" a speculative action for which we would be "seen alright" if the Kickstarter passed muster.

However I am at least happy with the ending because even though Mat Allen ended up doing his bits for free, in vain, due to them he got the gig writing for ZZap and Fusion and KH got...this lot, so there is a bit of natural justice in the world.

Steve

edit low res preview of the Hunters Moon pages added

hunters dps.jpg

Edited by STE'86
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Landstalker said:

No we don't.
Those that are following this thread know exactly what it is about and where we are up to on a daily basis.
This isn't a narrative. It's not the Silmarillion.
People aren't coming in and thinking "what's this all about?"

I disagree. I'm one of the people that follow some of the Youtubers involved. I had no idea what was going on until directed here. Trying to read through this thread is gruelling and would test the stamina of an Olympian. 

It's really helpful that the 1st comment is updated to contain the important parts but i agree with Buffalo Bill Burger. A concise documenting is needed. A massive forum post isn't doing this justice. And like Bill said a lot of it can come across as "he said she said"

I was one of the unfortunate people who backed the ZX Vega+ and if you Google that now the #1 result is the website that conclusively exposed their lies

I found that site extremely helpful and will always be grateful to all the contributors and of course especially to George. 

I understand members and staff here would like to keep the expose of Kieren onsite here but if you REALLY want what's best (and a proper downfall) then someone should consider a similar approach. A simple site dedicated to detailing and exposing the facts about this appalling person in a concisive way. A site that can serve as a warning to others. A proper hub. 

When people type "Kieren Hawken" in Google you get Amazon and IMDB links! This forum thread will never get #1 on Google because most of you won't even use his name here.

Make it easy for people to discover the truth about Kieren Hawken.

• Like 4

"I was one of the unfortunate people who backed the ZX Vega+ and if you Google that now the #1 result is the website that conclusively exposed their lies "

I just googled "ZX Vega+" and the wikipedia page is #1, the story on the Register is #2, Retro-computers at #3

Im guessing its the Retro-computers link?

Wow, that's a night and a bit's reading !

The problem is, more people are still coming out the woodwork, and more nonsense / contradictions are being uncovered. 

If People don't post them here, where would they post them, as that site has the look of something that was collated "after the fact" when the dust had all settled.  This is still unravelling.....

• Like 1

Sorry for the quality of the magazine scan featured in this post but this is the text Kieren Hawken plagiarized in his Blue Lightning feature on issue 152 of Retro Gamer. I also included the original text from c64.com [http://www.c64.com/gt_display_interview.php?interview=23]. This is the one act of plagiarism i alluded to in my first post of the thread.

Retro_Gamer_Issue_152_0055 - copia.jpg

Sin título.png

• Like 3

Yes “Poppy” has made me fresh target of their nasty little parody tweets. Including but not limited to mocking moments of distress, taking the piss out of disabilities and medical conditions and the like. 

Familiar stuff isn’t it.

edit: and took the piss/discredited serious suicidal thoughts because of sustained abuse and harassment. Because apparently only he is allowed to have those and it be taken seriously.

Edited by RetroPrincess
Forget the last bit. 6 hours fundraising today (as chief hater of charities of course)
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, RetroPrincess said:

Yes “Poppy” has made me fresh target of their nasty little parody tweets. Including but not limited to mocking moments of distress, taking the piss out of disabilities and medical conditions and the like. 

Familiar stuff isn’t it.

edit: and took the piss/discredited serious suicidal thoughts because of sustained abuse and harassment. Because apparently only he is allowed to have those and it be taken seriously.

He's currently in a one main sock per person attack. 

Poppy is against yourself

AutisticLaird is Octav1us

Toptwatgamingman is tophatgamingman

Etc. 

He's trying to drag others in but taint working (pun intended). I was reluctant to post the twitter stuff as he just loves the attention, so decided to block them from my account yesterday. 

Can't help think the Simpsons school strike meme is appropriate. 

Screenshot_20200405_083527.jpg

15b79db7c348eaadb01921aa3df55660.gif

• Like 2