IGNORED

Mega STE/TT LED replacements!

leech

13 minutes ago, atari_lynx_fr said:

5 volt maybe?

These are the ones I ordered.  3v.  They are much brighter though than the original ones.

Chanzon 100 pcs 3mm Green LED Diode Lights (Clear Round Transparent DC 3V 20mA) Bright Lighting Bulb Lamps Electronics Components Indicator Light Emitting Diodes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AUI4VUQ

• 1 year later...

Since I just successfully installed and converted my external Ultrasatan to internal on my Mega STe, I have a couple of questions:

1) I see that rust/corrosion forming on the HD light is normal, and mine is no exception. But why? Nothing gets wet and there's no battery in there. So what was the caused, and when does it usually form? Right away? 10 years later? 20? 30?

2) @leech If you have any more hard drive LED's for sale for my Mega STe, I'd like to buy one. I'm in NYC. My power light to the far left of my MSTe still works perfect, it's just the HD light that's rusted/corroded.

14 minutes ago, Zap! said:

Since I just successfully installed and converted my external Ultrasatan to internal on my Mega STe, I have a couple of questions:

1) I see that rust/corrosion forming on the HD light is normal, and mine is no exception. But why? Nothing gets wet and there's no battery in there. So what was the caused, and when does it usually form? Right away? 10 years later? 20? 30?

2) @leech If you have any more hard drive LED's for sale for my Mega STe, I'd like to buy one. I'm in NYC. My power light to the far left of my MSTe still works perfect, it's just the HD light that's rusted/corroded.

1) my understanding of it (not a chemist) is it is the degradation from the rubber grommet with a mixture of the coating they put on the sheet metal that causes rust and corrosion over time.  Air molecule moisture can accelerate it in places with higher humidity.  (Please take that as a 'Star Trek' explanation, as it is mostly what I gathered from others, and 'sounds good'.)

2) I will have to look.  Over the years people have randomly asked for some, and I have said no, mainly because shipping is generally prohibitively expensive.   But NYC wouldn't be bad.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leech said:

1) my understanding of it (not a chemist) is it is the degradation from the rubber grommet with a mixture of the coating they put on the sheet metal that causes rust and corrosion over time.  Air molecule moisture can accelerate it in places with higher humidity.  (Please take that as a 'Star Trek' explanation, as it is mostly what I gathered from others, and 'sounds good'.)

2) I will have to look.  Over the years people have randomly asked for some, and I have said no, mainly because shipping is generally prohibitively expensive.   But NYC wouldn't be bad.

1) Works for me, it sounds as good as anything I've heard!

2) Thank you very much, please let me know whenever you can.

27 minutes ago, Zap! said:

1) Works for me, it sounds as good as anything I've heard!

2) Thank you very much, please let me know whenever you can.

If @leech can't dig up any, I might be able to assist.  I bought a pile of LEDs and the grommets to replace the power and HD light in my newly acquired TT030 [FINALLY GOT ONE!!!].  When it arrived from the UK I discovered both were dead and I assumed they weren't available here anymore since this was a pretty old post.  Printed the replacement LED holders - thanks to whomever posted them on Thingiverse.

They are, as noted above, pretty bright compared to Atari's original lights but personally thats my preference.

IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, swatcop said:

If @leech can't dig up any, I might be able to assist.  I bought a pile of LEDs and the grommets to replace the power and HD light in my newly acquired TT030 [FINALLY GOT ONE!!!].  When it arrived from the UK I discovered both were dead and I assumed they weren't available here anymore since this was a pretty old post.  Printed the replacement LED holders - thanks to whomever posted them on Thingiverse.

They are, as noted above, pretty bright compared to Atari's original lights but personally thats my preference.

Nice, if he can't find any more I will definitely contact you. Thanks!

One last question for everyone: How do you guys get the metal housing off the hard drive tray? I removed the old HD easily, then the four screws from the housing. However, that thing is glued in somehow.

2 minutes ago, Zap! said:

One last question for everyone: How do you guys get the metal housing off the hard drive tray? I removed the old HD easily, then the four screws from the housing. However, that thing is glued in somehow.

On my Mega STE and TT I just removed the four screws holding the metal to the lid and carefully pulled the metal part off.  Neither of mine were glued in.  Obviously, don't force anything - just because mine weren't glued doesn't mean some previous owner didn't or whatever.  You'll likely play hell finding a replacement.

53 minutes ago, swatcop said:

IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

Nice!  Yeah, if I recall... there was a plan on Thingiverse for the power LED, but it didn't fit the grommet / LEDs that I was able to source from Amazon, so I took it and made the hole bigger.  Then for the HD Light, I designed that one and uploaded it.
This one is mine; https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4171215

Edited by leech

1 minute ago, swatcop said:

On my Mega STE and TT I just removed the four screws holding the metal to the lid and carefully pulled the metal part off.  Neither of mine were glued in.  Obviously, don't force anything - just because mine weren't glued doesn't mean some previous owner didn't or whatever.  You'll likely play hell finding a replacement.

Weird, mine wasn't glued either (Mega STe vs TT030).  My TT didn't have the HD holder when I bought it, but I ordered one afterward, years ago.  Though I don't think I ever actually used it...

Wonder if part of the cause is the slight amount of heat the LED warming up the grommet, causing it to interact with the metal coating and causing rusting?  (I'm just making shit up at this point, :P )

2 minutes ago, leech said:

Nice!  Yeah, if I recall... there was a plan on Thingiverse for the power LED, but it didn't fit the grommet / LEDs that I was able to source from Amazon, so I took it and made the whole bigger.  Then for the HD Light, I designed that one and uploaded it.
This one is mine; https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4171215

Well, if no one has told you lately... Thanks.  I had one of your power LED holders (with grommet) left over from buying a couple sets from you a few years ago.  Unfortunately, the only LED I could find from that purchase was a strobing/color cycle one and as much as I thought it would be cool - it wasn't 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, swatcop said:

Well, if no one has told you lately... Thanks.  I had one of your power LED holders (with grommet) left over from buying a couple sets from you a few years ago.  Unfortunately, the only LED I could find from that purchase was a strobing/color cycle one and as much as I thought it would be cool - it wasn't 😂

Haha, yeah it lasted in my system long enough for me to make the video...  I think for an HD light where it flashes during disk access is a better fit for that.

Hmm, maybe I'm explaining it wrong, so I'll have to get you some pics. But it's kinda hard, since my SC1435 is sitting on top of my HD bay and I'm too lazy to take it off and remove the HD. 😄

Ok, right where my finger is pointing, directly underneath the top clay (it sure doesn't feel like plastic) is the metal bay housing. It's either hot glued on or soldered somehow with the plastic melted so it sticks. And don't mind my messy desk lol.

20230120_023852.jpg

7 hours ago, Zap! said:

On my MSTE the bottom (or top depending on how you're looking at it) four holes of the metal drive tray were attached to the case cover by plastic pressure welds to the cover itself.

I carefully broke the plastic from the pressure welds overhanging the metal holes in each of the four spots, and the drive tray was then just held by the four screws.

• Like 1

Are you talking about the metal shielding here?:

US_header-LED-02.thumb.jpg.0f7b25fee1a316dbcafa9fd54e052450.jpg

If so, in my case (pardon the pun :) ) all I had to do was remove the 4 screws and it

came right out with just a wee little bit of prying... I had to get to the underside to put

the standoffs I used to mount my internal Ultrasatan.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys!

@DarkLord Mine is firmly attached, and I too need to get under there to mount the standoffs. I'll get pics as soon as I put in that LED replacement from @leech or @swatcop. I am too lazy to take it apart again lol.

@remowilliams Yes, mine too were attacked like that! Any tips on how you carefully removed it?

5 hours ago, Zap! said:

@remowilliams Yes, mine too were attacked like that! Any tips on how you carefully removed it?

Nothing too fancy, I used a tiny flathead screwdriver to carefully pick at the overhanging plastic.  Once they were clear, it was just very carefully prying against the metal drive bay until those centers of the plastic welds slipped clear of the holes.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:37 PM, Zap! said:

Thanks for the replies guys!

@DarkLord Mine is firmly attached, and I too need to get under there to mount the standoffs. I'll get pics as soon as I put in that LED replacement from @leech or @swatcop. I am too lazy to take it apart again lol.

If @swatcop is able to make and send some, that'd be awesome.  My workbench is currently not really set up to do more at the moment.

2 minutes ago, swatcop said:

what color and I assume you need the 3d printed LED holder and grommet?

Yes, mine is all rusted out. As for the color, what color was the original HD light? My light hasn't worked since I got it, but I'd like it as original as possible.