IGNORED

The facts about the Godzilla 2600 homebrew (Zilla 2020

RetroFiends

Let me open up, by saying I never intended for this thing to just be full on sold in repro shops at places such as etsy and ebay.

Not that I can really stop it from happening. I can only really ask.
Any cartridges of the Godzilla prototype being sold after the initial release are done without my knowledge.
Considering this prototype was made for a small run under specific circumstances, it was never intended to be marketed as a full game either. The rom is available on the original thread for free and you are allowed to have carts made of it, but I dunno, maybe I wasn't specific enough in that I didn't really want this thing available as a retail product?

I had plans for a finished version of this game named 'Zilla, however, on June 28, 2015 Neotokeo2001 made the offer of finishing it up. He too, intended to remove Godzilla branding, and I was supposed to receive a 5$ royalty per cartridge of this version, which I opted to share more of with him because of the work he would have put in.

After this, I don't know what happened. That's about the last I would hear about Godzilla 2600, until it started showing up on Ebay and Etsy a year ago or so.
EDIT: The storefront named Relentless had permission to produce Godzilla Cartridges, but it was given in error. That is solved now. All other places it showed up though should be considered thoroughly unsanctioned by anyone involved with it's creation.

I've uploaded a version of the game with the new 'Zilla name. This is what the game was before it edited by Neotokeo2001 for the cartridge release, the assets are a bit different, and he may or may not have fixed a thing or two in the Godzilla version, it's been several years now so my memory isn't fresh.
If you see Godzilla 2600 being sold, it's not because of me. As of right now, 'Zilla 2020 is the official version of this game.

Stella_cN8vREC1Gi.png

Stella_vVTIBfQNbe.png

Stella_NGQOTettWl.png

ZILLA2020.bin

Edited by RetroFiends
  • Like 2

Thanks, He had like 2 or more other cart label versions up that he removed but held onto that one for reasons I didn't understand but he was mostly complying so I didn't push it.
As of now that listing is down too, though.

I really doubt this seller actually "stole" this stuff. He really seems to believe it was given to him. We should be nice to the man as of this moment.
Edit: Permission to produce this software was given in error and this has been resolved. In this instance there is no foul play.

Edited by RetroFiends

• 5 months later...
On 1/23/2020 at 2:56 AM, RetroFiends said:

Let me open up, by saying I never intended for this thing to just be full on sold in repro shops at places such as etsy and ebay.

Not that I can really stop it from happening. I can only really ask.
Any cartridges of the Godzilla prototype being sold after the initial release are done without my knowledge.
Considering this prototype was made for a small run under specific circumstances, it was never intended to be marketed as a full game either. The rom is available on the original thread for free and you are allowed to have carts made of it, but I dunno, maybe I wasn't specific enough in that I didn't really want this thing available as a retail product?

I had plans for a finished version of this game named 'Zilla, however, on June 28, 2015 Neotokeo2001 made the offer of finishing it up. He too, intended to remove Godzilla branding, and I was supposed to receive a 5$ royalty per cartridge of this version, which I opted to share more of with him because of the work he would have put in.

After this, I don't know what happened. That's about the last I would hear about Godzilla 2600, until it started showing up on Ebay and Etsy a year ago or so.
EDIT: The storefront named Relentless had permission to produce Godzilla Cartridges, but it was given in error. That is solved now. All other places it showed up though should be considered thoroughly unsanctioned by anyone involved with it's creation.

I've uploaded a version of the game with the new 'Zilla name. This is what the game was before it edited by Neotokeo2001 for the cartridge release, the assets are a bit different, and he may or may not have fixed a thing or two in the Godzilla version, it's been several years now so my memory isn't fresh.
If you see Godzilla 2600 being sold, it's not because of me. As of right now, 'Zilla 2020 is the official version of this game.

Stella_cN8vREC1Gi.png

Stella_vVTIBfQNbe.png

Stella_NGQOTettWl.png

ZILLA2020.bin 4 kB · 42 downloads

Wait, so you gave permission for people to create cartridges of it but you don't want people to sell it?

I'm confused,..... Only because if I wanted a cartridge of it, I would have to get a custom one made (probably at AtariAge) and it would cost me around $30. So in a way, AtariAge would be selling it to me.

I'm literally just being devil's advocate right now, just trying to understand.

so what's the difference in me having to spend $30 to get a cartridge made at AtariAge, or spending $30 to buy one that was made on an Etsy shop?

or are you only given permission for people to use the bin file to make cartridges to the people that have the ability to make their own cartridges? I feel like not many people actually have the capabilities of making their own cartridge and would have to ask someone else to do it for them anyways. That's why AtariAge offers the service of custom carts (as long as the developer gives permission).

I guess something must have been lost in translation. 

I for one am glad that people actually create cartridges four homebrews. I don't have a computer or any sort of emulator, so the only way I'm able to enjoy some of these new hacks and homebrews is if someone puts it on a cartridge for me.

Edited by Skwrl63
Punctuation....