IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2020

Austin

I finished Blood Will Tell tonight. I really enjoyed it, though the final boss battle was a bit of a pain. I loved the designs of the fiends, and I think it had a good story as well (the game was my introduction to Dororo, though I've started watching the anime as well). There were some questionable design choices (some annoying platforming and camera issues), but I would rank this among my favorite all-time PS2 games.

Finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider.  I liked the first two new TR games, but put this one off because I heard not great things about Eidos Montreal taking over.  But now that I've played it, I'm not sure where the complaints come from. Definitely not innovative, but it's more Tomb Raider, which worked for me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Mad Max last night. The story was not so great (and mostly absent through much of the game), but the vehicle combat really felt at times like I was playing out a scene from Road Warrior. The hand-to-hand combat wasn't bad and was similar to the Batman Arkham games. Definitely recommended if you like the Mad Max movies.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chicgamer said:

I finished Mad Max last night. The story was not so great (and mostly absent through much of the game), but the vehicle combat really felt at times like I was playing out a scene from Road Warrior. The hand-to-hand combat wasn't bad and was similar to the Batman Arkham games. Definitely recommended if you like the Mad Max movies.

I've had this in my library for a long while, need to get around to it sometimes. Sucks about the story though....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cimerians said:

I've had this in my library for a long while, need to get around to it sometimes. Sucks about the story though....

Fortunately (in this case), the story doesn't really play a big part in the game. You'll mostly be driving around the wasteland fending off enemy cars and taking down enemy camps. The story is just nothing that hasn't been done with the movies, so it feels lazy and somewhat tacked on.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, cimerians said:

I'm about to play Witcher 3 is this like a 300 hour game or something? I started it a long time ago when it first came out but kind of got bored with it so I'm going to try one more time

if it fails I'll move on but if not, I probably won't be posting here for a while. :P

If you don't play the DLC, you can finish it in probably 60ish hours. If, however, you like to "do everything", ie do all the quests, check all the highlights on the maps, etc, that could go well over 100+ hours. And then the two DLCs are 15-20 hours each. So, yeah, lots there...

• Like 1

I finished Duke Nukem 3D on the PS3 a few days ago. I attempted to go after the extra levels but it was more of a chore than fun and I think Im calling it quits on them. This game had potential to be my favorite port but Im still sticking to Duke64 as my favorite version. Megaton is still a solid game though and I had a lot of fun with it. I could see it being a once a year game.

• Like 1

The actual mechanics are a top-down screen by screen action adventure game.  It actually plays a lot like "Adventure" on a certain console many of us are familiar with here on AtariAge.

Once you play a brief intro section, you acquire a "cursed" sword that then ends your life every 60 seconds after which you are resurrected and must continue the adventure.  They do a nice job of inserting some milestones that make it so it is NOT a repetitive grind.  The game ultimately feels like an experiment where the designers started with the idea of "what would happen if you could only explore the game world for 60 seconds at a time?"  It works and doesn't take more than a few hours to get through the original adventure . . . then comes new game +

6)  Shadow Warrior - 2013 version

Kinda like my Painkiller playthrough -- A nice, simple, straightforward shooter.    For the most part, if felt like it just "gets it" when it comes to making a modern "old school" shooter, but a couple of design decisions regarding enemies and boss battles really held it back.  

I'll probably try a couple other types of games before starting part 2 which I already have in my Steam library, although I don't think I bought it.  Maybe a freebie or Humble Bundle deal at some point.

oh oh, i actually finished a Modern game, lol.  It was on Easy difficulty, but still!

Streets of Rage 4 -- Switch

I also got Credit Roll on Animal Crossing: New Horizons, but not sure if it counts as 'finishing' the game since the game by definition can never be completed. ;)

I finished Assassin's Creed Odyssey ... I guess. I completed all of the main story missions, but there are still a ton of missions I can play. I'll likely take a break before resuming.

Maybe I'll get through the rest of the missions by the time Assassin's Creed Valhalla releases.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished Mary Skelter 2 earlier today. I played Mary Skelter for about 32 hours and then switched to 2 because you're supposed to play 2 first. Both are surprisingly good, but they do have some problems. Normal difficulty is way too easy but the higher setting is borderline intolerable since everything kills you in 3 hits at most. I'd prefer something in the middle, but still on the more difficult side. Some of the jobs are unbalanced or have skills that make no sense for their stats, which leads to a few characters who are not very useful at all and a few characters that are way too strong. Why would the devs give magic attacks to some physical jobs that have low magic attack stats? I don't know, but they did. Other jobs are much better constructed, though. The translation is mostly okay, but there are a ton of errors in the script. I probably could have played it with the Japanese text since nothing would have been too difficult.

The story in 2 is okay. The ending is very good, though. Good voice acting overall, and it's always nice to hear Imai Asami. Maybe I'm weird, but I have always really liked her voice. The music ranges from serviceable to very nice, and there were 2 or 3 tracks that reminded me of Shin Megami Tensei's style, which is always excellent to hear. The first game's story is better in every way by far, and I didn't even finish it yet. There's a reason that the devs want you to play 2 first, though, so I think if I erased my memory I'd play 2 first the next time. You do absolutely need to finish 2 before 1 anyway for various spoilers reasons. It's kind of weird to go back to playing the first game on a fresh save file because the mechanics are so much more simple. Kagome-kagome (which is super broken once you learn how to use it), a bunch of different skill types, and more flexibility with jobs and their associated skills got introduced in 2, so that's all gone now.

Overall, if you can get past the occasionally excessive fan service and the unsatisfying difficulty selections, both of these games are still excellent. I feel weird saying that about Compile Heart games, but it's true this time, although I should say that the game did crash 3 times. Each game will take about 60~80 hours to beat, but given that neither is truly complete without the other, it's not really weird to think of both games as one huge 200 hour game. That's really how they want you to play it and think of it as anyway. It's too bad Compile Heart has decided to kill this series, but I look forward to the release of the final game in August and will preorder the Japanese version soon.

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Gears of War 5

The Outer Worlds

That's it, I think. Daughter's been trying to get me into Red Dead Redemption 2. She's obsessed by it. She's shocked that I just think it's "meh". I'm not a huge fan of sprawling open world games. Like I said, been there, played that. Nothing excites me any more.

But it's on my to do list to finish by the end of the year.

I have an absolute shit ton of games that I've never even played. There's more than 100 on the Xbox One, just counted more than 100 on the 360 (don't think that's all but there's now no way to bring up a list of all your games), and a few dozen on PC on my Steam and Epic Games accounts (in case you weren't aware, Epic give away free games every couple of weeks). I should really get cracking on them but I've been busier during the lockdown than when we weren't in lockdown.

Edited by Tickled_Pink
  • Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 7:58 PM, Tickled_Pink said:

That's it, I think. Daughter's been trying to get me into Red Dead Redemption 2. She's obsessed by it. She's shocked that I just think it's "meh". I'm not a huge fan of sprawling open world games. Like I said, been there, played that. Nothing excites me any more.

I still need to get around to playing Red Dead Revolver. :)

I finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice this week. I'm a little torn about it. On the one hand, I think it's cool that the lead character suffers from psychosis, and we see the struggles it causes for her. Also, the integration of Nosre mythology is nice, and it helps to flesh out Senua's world. On the other hand, some of the puzzles slowed down the gameplay too much, and because you focus on one enemy at a time in battles, it's easy to get attacked from behind from enemies you don't see (though the game does alert you when this is about to happen).

• Like 1